Car advice

On 15/01/2021 at 22:55, RandomGuy. said:

Its fine unless you've got a BMW X1, which utterly shit the bed unless all four tyres are perfect and destroy their transfer box.

Bizarre, shitty, cars.

Are X2s the same? Quite like them although probably wouldn't get one. 

10 hours ago, PWL said:

I only started using Compare the Market after a ridiculous premium jump from Aviva after a good few years with them. I now never renew and shop around when it comes to existing policy running out.  Yes it's half an hour's work but the savings are mental. And that is when sticking to household name insurers. Some of the smaller ones are even cheaper. 

Worth doing it for all your insurance products at renewal and not just vehicle. 

TL:DR never auto renew. 

Do a good check of reviews before just going on the cheapest though and check the small print for extras.

1 hour ago, CountyFan said:

Are X2s the same? Quite like them although probably wouldn't get one. 

Don't honestly know but wouldn't be surprised.

• 2 weeks later...

What a c**t of a day. On the way to work, my driver's side window decided to fall right inside the door. AA came to look at it, but he wasn't able to get into the window to pull it up to secure it. Window is currently covered with a mixture of polythene and bin bags and is taped up to f**k.  This ever happened to anyone else and If so what were the costs involved??

Edited by philpy

What a c**t of a day. On the way to work, my driver's side window decided to fall right inside the door. AA came to look at it, but he wasn't able to get into the window to pull it up to secure it. Window is currently covered with a mixture of polythene and bin bags and is taped up to f**k.  This ever happened to anyone else and If so what were the costs involved??

What kind of car is it?

A few years ago I had a Clio where similar happened. It was just the mechanism on the inside that was gubbed. Picked up a part for buttons from a breakers and took it to my local garage who charged an hours labour to fit it.

4 hours ago, philpy said:

59 plate seat altea. Going to take it round to the garage I bought it from on Monday and get them to have a look.

I'm thick about cars but that sounds like a basic clockwork thing I'd have a go at by taking the inside of the door off and having a look, which may or not be easy. Youtube is your friend.

17 hours ago, philpy said:

59 plate seat altea. Going to take it round to the garage I bought it from on Monday and get them to have a look.

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm thick about cars but that sounds like a basic clockwork thing I'd have a go at by taking the inside of the door off and having a look, which may or not be easy. Youtube is your friend.

Scrap that, I'd go with your plan. Looks a bit fiddly unless you have all the right tools and a great memory for putting it back together again. I've found from experience how easy it is to break plastic fittings if you don't know how they fit together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3ORrlXMDo8

I had a 58 Altea where the same thing happened to both front windows. My dad also had an 11 plate where the same thing happened. I think there is a bit of an issue with moisture causing corrosion on the piano wire bits which snap / come loose from a fixing.

He took his to the garage where they sorted it with manufacturer parts and charged somewhere in the region of £250 inc labour (this was maybe 4 years ago). Although they said it was a c**t of a job due to being so fiddly.

I bought a £75 kit off eurocarparts, took the door to bits, fucked about with it for a couple days without success then sheepishly deposited at said garage with tail between my legs.

Unless you are quite dexterous and good with finicky wee things and have the patience of a saint I’d suck it up and head to a garage.

19 minutes ago, rodallegabombs said:

I had a 58 Altea where the same thing happened to both front windows. My dad also had an 11 plate where the same thing happened. I think there is a bit of an issue with moisture causing corrosion on the piano wire bits which snap / come loose from a fixing.

He took his to the garage where they sorted it with manufacturer parts and charged somewhere in the region of £250 inc labour (this was maybe 4 years ago). Although they said it was a c**t of a job due to being so fiddly.

I bought a £75 kit off eurocarparts, took the door to bits, fucked about with it for a couple days without success then sheepishly deposited at said garage with tail between my legs.

Unless you are quite dexterous and good with finicky wee things and have the patience of a saint I’d suck it up and head to a garage.

Oh hell no. I'd end up like the angry guy from chewin the fat 😂. Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated 👍

Happened to me on a micra. Came off the runners as frozen and motor had kept pushing it.
Door card off.put back on runners and a sealant to secure it.
I have a blown motor in one of my rear doors.
Also the auto lock on opposite door has an open circuit.
Pain in tits

Update. Took car up to a garage 2 minutes from the house, guy managed to get it back up and secured, and disconnected the wiring. Wouldn't take a penny for it. Phoned me back this morning, managed to source a regulator, it's coming from Germany so will be 2 weeks. £130 including parts and labour. Quite happy with that outcome.

My Jeep is currently back at the dealership again as, for some bizarre reason, it won’t start if the temperature is below about 20F ( pretty common here in winter)
Definitely not a battery issue and seems to have them stumped
Thankfully it’s still under warranty and the keep giving me loan cars.

Got this one for now
It’s not a V8 sadly but has all sorts of silliness like “track mode” @sport setting” & “launch control”
I’m having great fun [emoji1787]

IMG_1765.jpg

1 minute ago, Raidernation said:

My Jeep is currently back at the dealership again as, for some bizarre reason, it won’t start if the temperature is below about 20F ( pretty common here in winter)
Definitely not a battery issue and seems to have them stumped
Thankfully it’s still under warranty and the keep giving me loan cars.

Got this one for now
It’s not a V8 sadly but has all sorts of silliness like “track mode” @sport setting” & “launch control”
I’m having great fun emoji1787.png

IMG_1765.jpg

^^^Big team found.