Car advice

51 minutes ago, Empty It said:
58 minutes ago, Joe Terrapin said:
They don't like straight cash deals. Best scenario for a dealer is to buy your trade in at a rock bottom price, you to take one of their overpriced cars on finance(at the first rate they offer you which they earn commission on and for you to buy a service and warranty deal and car mats with their logo on. They dropped the price on a car I was looking at by £300 and  offered better finance than they opened with but it wasn't enough for me to buy. Car I was looking at is still on the forecourt and apparently losing them £300 a month by doing so. Car market is going to crash big time very soon (along with everything else)

Turn up in a month and make them an even lower offer, if for nothing else it may annoy a salesman.

My mate did banger racing and asked at a garage about an old trade in lying away from the regular stock. The guy said around £600.00. He went back at night and smashed the lights and windows, then went in the next day and asked "How much do you want for it now"?

On 04/01/2021 at 09:08, DublinMagyar said:

Advice please - 2011 Ford Focus 1.6TDCi - "Engine Malfunction" came on this morning when under hard acceleration (joining motorway).  When I put the foot down, the car felt sluggish for a sec then the message popped up - after that, I couldn't accelerate hard at all (limp mode?). Kinda felt like the car was starved of fuel for a second - any ideas welcome?

Car is booked in for  a service tomorrow

Soooooo.................service was done and no major issues found, no DTC codes found. Mechanic did say the Alternator Drive Belt was worn and needs replaced (timing belt/water pump were done ~ 8k miles ago). Could this be the cause of the "engine malfunction"?

Soooooo.................service was done and no major issues found, no DTC codes found. Mechanic did say the Alternator Drive Belt was worn and needs replaced (timing belt/water pump were done ~ 8k miles ago). Could this be the cause of the "engine malfunction"?
Would've been expected a battery light rather than an engine management light if that were the case

9 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

I had similar symptoms a while back, tried loads of things but it turned out one of the cylinders wasn't firing. It was only a 3 cylinder car so by the time I found out I'd fucked the car by over revving it to get up hills etc.

I had similar symptoms a while back, tried loads of things but it turned out one of the cylinders wasn't firing. It was only a 3 cylinder car so by the time I found out I'd fucked the car by over revving it to get up hills etc.
Would that not show a DTC code?

Just now, DublinMagyar said:
22 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Would that not show a DTC code?

It did, but what ever it indicated was probably secondary to the main issue causing it. It's a while back but I did loads to it before finding out. 

4 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
On 05/01/2021 at 18:46, Sergeant Wilson said:
My mate did banger racing and asked at a garage about an old trade in lying away from the regular stock. The guy said around £600.00. He went back at night and smashed the lights and windows, then went in the next day and asked "How much do you want for it now"?

Your mates a dick.(If it did indeed happen)

Update on car buying....

Was gutted after a found a pre registered Leon in Kent (Covid epicentre)IMG_1610103792.214970.jpg and they sold it while I was negotiating me getting there after lockdown.

Ended up going PCH on an Octavia for £190/month. Not leased before but probably makes more sense in current uncertain climate with electrification, Covid, Brexit etc.

Another car buying question. Looking at two cars online from the same company but different dealerships. Exact same car, fuel & transmission. Both ex-dealership employee used, same year registration (2 months apart, 19 plates) and one mileage is 11k, the other 12k. One is £18.25k, the other £19.9k.

Other than the cheaper one having damage not visible in the pictures, what reasons could there be for one being significantly cheaper?

4 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

exact same spec or just car? Engine/alloys/metallic paint/interior differences etc?

Managed to find the difference in the small print. More expensive option has ‘executive package’ which appears to be a slightly bigger screen on the dash, heated seats and parking assist. Not a huge difference for an extra £1.7k.

26 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Managed to find the difference in the small print. More expensive option has ‘executive package’ which appears to be a slightly bigger screen on the dash, heated seats and parking assist. Not a huge difference for an extra £1.7k.

Depending on how you're paying for it I'd be tempted to go delux, if you're getting it on monthly payments it won't make a big difference and I like new things to play with like parking assist.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Depending on how you're paying for it I'd be tempted to go delux, if you're getting it on monthly payments it won't make a big difference and I like new things to play with like parking assist.

Will probably pay half with a personal loan so yes would have a monthly payment. Will have a think but inclined to agree.

Had to get the turbo something or other replaced just before Christmas. New one fitted cost about 500 quid all in(600 CHF in real money). A bit annoying, but a lot cheaper than I expected here.

Still considering buying a camper van. Prices appear to have dropped a couple of grand in the last few months. I guess a lot of people bought them at the beginning of Covid and are now regretting that decision. Will hold off another few months and see if prices fall further.

31 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Had to get the turbo something or other replaced just before Christmas. New one fitted cost about 500 quid all in(600 CHF in real money). A bit annoying, but a lot cheaper than I expected here.

Still considering buying a camper van. Prices appear to have dropped a couple of grand in the last few months. I guess a lot of people bought them at the beginning of Covid and are now regretting that decision. Will hold off another few months and see if prices fall further.

If I lived where you do, I'd get a campervan in a flash.

22 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

If I lived where you do, I'd get a campervan in a flash.

Currently looking to buy a house or flat over here, so have a fair bit of cash tied up in that. Depending on what we buy, the balance will most likely be going towards that. Apart from anything else, the last few flights we took between here and home were utterly horrendous and the missus has developed a bit of a fear of flying, more so since our son was born. Unless I can convince her otherwise, I will need something spacious and comfortable enough that we can drive home in it without breaking my back in the process. My Polo gets me about OK but I definitely felt it in my legs and back when I was doing 160km a day between work and home last summer.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Currently looking to buy a house or flat over here, so have a fair bit of cash tied up in that. Depending on what we buy, the balance will most likely be going towards that. Apart from anything else, the last few flights we took between here and home were utterly horrendous and the missus has developed a bit of a fear of flying, more so since our son was born. Unless I can convince her otherwise, I will need something spacious and comfortable enough that we can drive home in it without breaking my back in the process. My Polo gets me about OK but I definitely felt it in my legs and back when I was doing 160km a day between work and home last summer.

Get yourself an Avensis.  Ultra reliable, comfortable. And they don't command silly prices.

If not that, I'd consider a Golf.  Till the bills start coming in. Ditto, any BMW, Audi........

5 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Get yourself an Avensis.  Ultra reliable, comfortable. And they don't command silly prices.

If not that, I'd consider a Golf.  Till the bills start coming in. Ditto, any BMW, Audi........

When I bought it this time last year I was only expecting to use it around town when doing the shopping or getting her and the boy to see her family. Done the work commute by train. Obviously, things went a wee bit weird and this is part of the result of that. Was in the office full time for 3/4 months for a bit around the end of the summer which is when I noticed it was causing me a lot of back and leg pain, but now back to 1 day a week in the office, which doesn't seem to bother my body quite as much.

Edited by Ross.