Car advice

I can better that. My first company car in 1989 was. Sierra 2.3 diesel. No turbo, slower than a snail, heavy as fk and no power steering or electric windows etc.

I don’t think it had a 0-60 time, don’t think I ever had room to get it up to that speed [emoji1787]
The Astra was brutal which was a shame as it was, otherwise, a nice enough car. The thing had 99bhp and probably weighed at least a tonne and a half. It was a pain in the arse on motorways as overtakes had to be planned about 20 minutes in advance. Any sign of a hill and you could forget it.

I eventually traded it in for a Volkswagen with a 2 litre diesel engine which felt like a Ferrari in comparison.

I have intermittent horn issues. Blaring when parked then goes of when I open the door. The fuse looks ok, but I've left it out until I get it checked. The sound was louder than the normal horn and constant. The car hasn't got an alarm.

Can't get it in anywhere until 5 Jan, so no horn or no driving until then unless someone here solves it.

3 hours ago, Raidernation said:

I can better that. My first company car in 1989 was. Sierra 2.3 diesel. No turbo, slower than a snail, heavy as fk and no power steering or electric windows etc.

I don’t think it had a 0-60 time, don’t think I ever had room to get it up to that speed emoji1787.png

I raise you a Renault Captur 0.9,i don't think it could pull me out of bed.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I have intermittent horn issues. Blaring when parked then goes of when I open the door. The fuse looks ok, but I've left it out until I get it checked. The sound was louder than the normal horn and constant. The car hasn't got an alarm.

Can't get it in anywhere until 5 Jan, so no horn or no driving until then unless someone here solves it.

I had this with an old Volvo, when I turned the wheel when pulling out from parked it would go off, was a a bare wire touching the body work.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I managed fine for 3 years in my car until I figured out how to work it. 2 fingers out the window worked fine in the interim, I'm not Italian.

4 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

The Astra was brutal which was a shame as it was, otherwise, a nice enough car. The thing had 99bhp and probably weighed at least a tonne and a half. It was a pain in the arse on motorways as overtakes had to be planned about 20 minutes in advance. Any sign of a hill and you could forget it.

I eventually traded it in for a Volkswagen with a 2 litre diesel engine which felt like a Ferrari in comparison.

1 hour ago, keithgy said:

I raise you a Renault Captur 0.9,i don't think it could pull me out of bed.

1 hour ago, Funky Nosejob said:

I owned a 1990 Volvo 440 boasting a narcolepsy inducing 87bhp.
This should have been my wake up call to stop choosing cars with my head, but it was so slow and tedious that there was no way you could associate this car with a wake up call.

You boys have clearly never driven your father’s 1985 Mercedes E200 auto. Couldn’t pull the skin of custard. And it had (on checking now ) a massive 120bhp apparently! 

8 hours ago, Raidernation said:

I don’t think it had a 0-60 time, don’t think I ever had room to get it up to that speed emoji1787.png

My first company car was a Citroen BX 1.4 boasting 54bhp. With the pneumatic suspension it was like driving around on a 3-piece suite, and nearly as fast.

My first company car was a Citroen BX 1.4 boasting 54bhp. With the pneumatic suspension it was like driving around on a 3-piece suite, and nearly as fast.
My dad had one of those when I was younger, nothing weirder than being sat in the back when the suspension kicked in when the engine was turned on.
0-60 in time..

Bloody hell the price of cars has went crazy,we are buying a caravan as my wife's dad has left us some money in his will.I need to buy a car to tow it as her car is only a 1.2 turbo and can only tow 1200kg.We are going to spend about £12k on the car and after spending the weekend looking i am in shock at the prices.

Edited by keithgy

17 minutes ago, keithgy said:

Bloody hell the price of cars has went crazy,we are buying a caravan as my wife's dad has left us some money in his will.I need to buy a car to tow it as her car is only a 1.2 turbo and can only tow 1200kg.We are going to spend about £12k on the car and after spending the weekend looking i am in shock at the prices.

Did you not say you’ve got a Hyundai Tucson Keith? Should do the job?

first car a good few years ago now was a 1.3 Ye Olde Forde Fiesta, was small enough that it wasnt too painfully slow. Thing was a fucking nightmare for the back end swinging out especially at certain roundabouts which had to be taken at a crawling pace otherwise it would be dangerously close to going out of control. First ever mishap in a car was with it, took a wet corner slightly too fast, back end span out a bit and burst a tire on the kerb, learned a fair bit from that experience (thankfully no injuries or insurance claim needed)

had to be scrapped when the exhaust sheared off, mechanic friend took a look for me and said it had broken in such a way that it would be nigh on impossible to fix. (think it was something to do with the catalytic converter, he explained it to me at the time but cant mind the specifics) Still got about £200 for it in the end at least.

48 minutes ago, keithgy said:

off the top of my head at that budget but a Mazda CX-5 maybe, think they can be good for towing stuff about?

edit: oooooo, did a little fantasy shop there aha, no idea if it suits what you're looking for but

https://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/mazda/cx-5/2-0-se-l-5dr/2014/ref/arnbg-u-123665

Max. Towing Weight - Braked 1800 Max. Towing Weight - Unbraked 690
Edited by Thistle_do_nicely