Jump to content

Car advice


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, RH33 said:

My mums acting on my behalf as I ended up having a few days in psych hospital. They’ve gone quiet after initial flurry of emails trying get out of it but I think they were making sure that I made my payment today!

Have your mum write a letter to the finance company and dealer stating that the vehicle is being formally rejected as the vehicle as purchased was not fit for purpose nor of satisfactory quality.  As you are now in dispute with the finance company over the supply of faulty goods, your payments should be frozen and interest should not be accumulating until agreement between the parties is reached.  The actual legal owner of the vehicle is the finance company and therefore you need to make the issue their problem.

Have you have an independant report carried out on the vehicle?  If not then add that you are willing to have this carried out at their expense (assuming that you have kept a diary of the problems - when they occurred, what the outcome was and how long the vehicle was off the road).  I think from reading your posts, you have indicated that the vehicle is currently off the road and if this is the case, then do not authorise any further work to be carried out and insist that you no longer consider the vehicle to be yours.  It is important that you do not use the vehicle at all after you have formally rejected it.

The more written details you have regarding the issues and correspondence with the garage the greater the chances of success.  Normally you would have six months from when you received the car to reject it but this is not a formal deadline and dependant on the number of faults etc. and the time taken to resolve these you may be able to show that it was unreasonable for you to reject it within this period.  However, generally if it is after six months then the onus is on you to prove the car was faulty at the point of purchase.

The most important thing above all else is that you don't become emotionally involved in the dispute.  It is very easy to say and, as someone that has had to take companies to court, I know how difficult this can be but ultimately you are dealing with employees of companies that are not caring about you, your car or your problem.  They are only interested in the best outcome for the company.  I say this with the best of intentions as I know you have posted about mental health issues in the past and these can be trying times if you don't think you are able to be remain apathetic.

Hope this helps and feel free to message me if you need any other info.  Good luck.

Edited by strichener
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gus Setsniffer said:

an hour ago, i pulled into a Tesco car park, and there was a Dodge Ram 3500 parked, unbelievable the size of American Pick Ups, compared  to ours.

Also surprising how many of these big muscled pickups are only two wheel drive.  When I was in the Atlanta area a few years back and there was some icy roads, the number of pickups that couldn't make it up slight inclines was comical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, strichener said:

Have your mum write a letter to the finance company and dealer stating that the vehicle is being formally rejected as the vehicle as purchased was not fit for purpose nor of satisfactory quality.  As you are now in dispute with the finance company over the supply of faulty goods, your payments should be frozen and interest should not be accumulating until agreement between the parties is reached.  The actual legal owner of the vehicle is the finance company and therefore you need to make the issue their problem.

Have you have an independant report carried out on the vehicle?  If not then add that you are willing to have this carried out at their expense (assuming that you have kept a diary of the problems - when they occurred, what the outcome was and how long the vehicle was off the road).  I think from reading your posts, you have indicated that the vehicle is currently off the road and if this is the case, then do not authorise any further work to be carried out and insist that you no longer consider the vehicle to be yours.  It is important that you do not use the vehicle at all after you have formally rejected it.

The more written details you have regarding the issues and correspondence with the garage the greater the chances of success.  Normally you would have six months from when you received the car to reject it but this is not a formal deadline and dependant on the number of faults etc. and the time taken to resolve these you may be able to show that it was unreasonable for you to reject it within this period.  However, generally if it is after six months then the onus is on you to prove the car was faulty at the point of purchase.

The most important thing above all else is that you don't become emotionally involved in the dispute.  It is very easy to say and, as someone that has had to take companies to court, I know how difficult this can be but ultimately you are dealing with employees of companies that are not caring about you, your car or your problem.  They are only interested in the best outcome for the company.  I say this with the best of intentions as I know you have posted about mental health issues in the past and these can be trying times if you don't think you are able to be remain apathetic.

Hope this helps and feel free to message me if you need any other info.  Good luck.

Yeah we’ve gone via finance company and the independent mechanic I use has been loads of help. Hes done independent report on the issues. He’s done report and also was able to tell us who contact in council to confirm it has been a taxi.


It’s 9 months in but it developed a huge issue after three months and they should’ve offered me option terminate then and didn’t. It was fixed without cost.


I’m not getting involved at moment as I’m still too wobbly.

Good to hear there is hope!

Edited by RH33
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Yeah we’ve gone via finance company and the independent mechanic I use has been loads of help. Hes done independent report on the issues. He’s done report and also was able to tell us who contact in council to confirm it has been a taxi.


It’s 9 months in but it developed a huge issue after three months and they should’ve offered me option terminate then and didn’t. It was fixed without cost.


I’m not getting involved at moment as I’m still too wobbly.

Good to hear there is hope!

If it had been used for commercial purposes before purchase and not disclosed then it should certainly strengthen your position.  With regards to them offering you the option to terminate, this would never normally be the case as the onus would be on the purchaser to seek the termination.

If the seller of the vehicle was a member of the Motor Ombudsman then their code of practice also states dealerships must not 'withhold information about a vehicle's history or usage that may affect a decision to purchase the vehicle'.  Knowing that a car you were about to buy had been used a taxi previously would certainly be declared.  To find out if your garage is a member you can search here.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/12/2020 at 08:37, Empty It said:
On 04/12/2020 at 23:57, Tony Ferrino said:
I bought a Zafira a couple of months ago and now the passenger side headlight seems to have gone. A quick  check on youtube makes me think I have to go under the wheel arch to change the bulb. 
This can't be right?
 

Seen cars like this, find yourself lucky you don't have one of the Renault's that the whole front end of the car needs to be removed.

An 18 year old lassie from Halfords with small hands sorted it out under 5 minutes. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My flatmate had a car and I was an additional driver on his insurance for two years. Does this count towards my no claims discount? I've never been a main driver on my own car for instance.
Unfortunately not. You need to be the main driver on the policy to build up any no claims.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

An 18 year old lassie from Halfords with small hands sorted it out under 5 minutes. 
 

Small handed and flexible armed Halfords lassies are a godsend replacing impossibly awkward bulbs. I paid £8 last week for the replacement of an £8.50 bulb that took her 20 seconds. I would’ve dislocated several fingers and a shoulder if I had tried it.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2020 at 17:03, Gus Setsniffer said:

an hour ago, i pulled into a Tesco car park, and there was a Dodge Ram 3500 parked, unbelievable the size of American Pick Ups, compared  to ours.

Aye, there's a boy in Scone who used to have one, along with a Viper. Not seen the cars for ages though.

Drove past it in a van and felt tiny.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, beefybake said:

Ten pounds for five minutes..., that's a lot.., almost .. 10  times 12 is .., a lot / hour.  

Hope it was enjoyable.

Plus the costs to get it done again when it fails its MOT for being upside down/they blow the fuse while fitting it.

Perth branch is awful. We get folk all the time after. One poor lassie with a Fiat had to buy a headlight as they'd broken it just ripping the bulb out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Think I’ll be in the market for a new car soon as my current one is starting to have more regular issues than I’d like. I’ve always bought cars outright, but considering a PCP deal this time.

What are the thoughts on here on PCP?

Do you really need a car in the middle of town? With all the running costs and parking fees involved would joining the Car Club not be a cheaper option?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, supermik said:

Do you really need a car in the middle of town? With all the running costs and parking fees involved would joining the Car Club not be a cheaper option?

Short answer is yes. Use my car for my job daily, and the car club is a decent looking service but if I went outside one day and the two spaces near me were empty I’d be humped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Think I’ll be in the market for a new car soon as my current one is starting to have more regular issues than I’d like. I’ve always bought cars outright, but considering a PCP deal this time.

What are the thoughts on here on PCP?

If you can be arsed trawling through the thread there is a fair bit of discussion on pcp. I like it, especially if you get something pre-registered or with a healthy discount as all you’re paying is the depreciation. Folk always seem to fail to grasp you can get a settlement any time too so if you want to change it for something else you can and you’re not obliged to finish the particular term. With a service plan bundled it is a very easy fixed cost way of having a car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Think I’ll be in the market for a new car soon as my current one is starting to have more regular issues than I’d like. I’ve always bought cars outright, but considering a PCP deal this time.

What are the thoughts on here on PCP?

Problem is the wacky finance deals are predicated on the manufacturers churning out cars and dealers needing to shift stock. Much of the manufacturing has been severely curtailed for the past year so currently there’s not much surplus stock swilling about. I think you might find it relatively expensive to commit now rather than a year past or waiting for a year in the future. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...