Car advice

2 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

Traded in my GTi and DS3 for something with less pace and more space (in the back). Should be ready in early Jan once it has been fitted with ply. 

I’m sorely tempted by a Polo GTI in the new year. Trying to justify it to the girlfriend who is more than happy with our (quickly bought when returning to the U.K.) 1.2 Corsa. 

43 minutes ago, Netan Sansara said:

I’m sorely tempted by a Polo GTI in the new year. Trying to justify it to the girlfriend who is more than happy with our (quickly bought when returning to the U.K.) 1.2 Corsa. 

Can’t go too far wrong. Think vw knows road cars so well. I’ve had faster and more hardcore stuff but only about 0.01% of the time driving my Golf did I think it needed to be more aggressively set up. Polo has the tartan seats too (unless you get leather). 

Went for a test drive there at one of our national dealerships. Turned up and it was a model £1k more expensive than the one I'd booked but went along with it for the drive nonetheless. Drove fine but was filthy after the guy bragged about its cleanliness in the showroom minutes before (not that it really bothered me but just found it funny).

After it, I explained that the only way I can act on it would be if it was in the range of the model I'd originally looked at but thanked him and said he could be helpful on organising something on that front a bit closer and was open to that make and model. The guy went through all his financial talk giving it the whole nonsense spiel about "We sell 3 out of 10 cars at a lost" and some horrific attempts at demonstrating interest rate calculations for about ten minutes then kept 'going away to get something for me' and coming back to just try and reset the conversation. I was told that this is the only car in the world at this price of that quality and next month, there would be no cars in existence in my budget. Almost killed me with the no of figures and circular logic he kept throwing in.

Politely resisted each of his attempts and was looked at like I'd just taken a giant shite in the middle of the showroom. I appreciate it may not make sense for them to drop any lower on it if they fancy their chances elsewhere but fucking hell, the whole think was excruciating. Just being talked down to intensely by someone who has little grasp of numbers.

Went for a test drive there at one of our national dealerships. Turned up and it was a model £1k more expensive than the one I'd booked but went along with it for the drive nonetheless. Drove fine but was filthy after the guy bragged about its cleanliness in the showroom minutes before (not that it really bothered me but just found it funny).
After it, I explained that the only way I can act on it would be if it was in the range of the model I'd originally looked at but thanked him and said he could be helpful on organising something on that front a bit closer and was open to that make and model. The guy went through all his financial talk giving it the whole nonsense spiel about "We sell 3 out of 10 cars at a lost" and some horrific attempts at demonstrating interest rate calculations for about ten minutes then kept 'going away to get something for me' and coming back to just try and reset the conversation. I was told that this is the only car in the world at this price of that quality and next month, there would be no cars in existence in my budget. Almost killed me with the no of figures and circular logic he kept throwing in.
Politely resisted each of his attempts and was looked at like I'd just taken a giant shite in the middle of the showroom. I appreciate it may not make sense for them to drop any lower on it if they fancy their chances elsewhere but fucking hell, the whole think was excruciating. Just being talked down to intensely by someone who has little grasp of numbers.
Would genuinely rather pay way more from elsewhere if a garage come out with all that pish.

When I bought a nearly-new car from CarGiant in West London, the sales geezer spent thirty minutes trying and failing to flog me the extended warranty. He was seething by the end of it, due to me just saying « that’s OK, thanks, not for me » over and over. He ended up walking off in disgust and getting a secretary to sign the paperwork. Not even a « goodbye ».

1 hour ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
2 hours ago, RH33 said:
Sounds like Peter Vardy?

Aye, they are giving it the cars are going to be 10% more expensive in 2021 at the moment.

10% if you're lucky or buy British cars

Would genuinely rather pay way more from elsewhere if a garage come out with all that pish.
Yeah that's it for me as well. Good quality cup of coffee, comfy sofas and some theatrics to welcome you. Would rather just have a straight talking p***k and sit on wobbly bar stools and a GP receptionist to greet on arrival.

I do feel for them though, obviously just bamboozle them at training days with all of this. Can see the genuine pain with the flatness at the end when it's not went the direction they were pushing.

2 hours ago, harry94 said:

Mate, you talk down to them!  Car dealership guys are full of utter pish and will pray on the slightest drip of naivety. 

Go in, in your best straight to business tone, tell them what you’ve got in mind, (maybe understate your actual budget slightly) and just bluntly ask “what can you do for me?” Having the missus or someone else with you and taking a few minutes kidding on you’re looking alternatives on your phone usually has your Peter Vardy and the like salesmen scurrying around asking their superiors to do the best deal. 

Constructive bullshit my friend. Play them at their own game.

Peter Vardy sold my son in law a car that should not have been on the road due to exhaust issues. After being back to them for longer than it was on the road they reluctantly took it back. Saw it back on the road about a fortnight later. They then supplied son in law with a Golf. Think it had all the same problems as Rowans car! It went through 2 turbos in a year then spent over a year off the road after they just washed their hands of it. He took it into the hands of the ombudsman and he was eventually awarded the massive compensation sum of £1. 
Expensive double lesson learned.

I bought a Zafira a couple of months ago and now the passenger side headlight seems to have gone. A quick  check on youtube makes me think I have to go under the wheel arch to change the bulb. 
This can't be right?

Seen cars like this, find yourself lucky you don't have one of the Renault's that the whole front end of the car needs to be removed.

10 hours ago, keithgy said:

Does not matter how many cars i have owned a lot,but i always dread MOT time.

Check your tyres and exhaust and take it to Kwik Fit. Guaranteed to pass.

One of their testers had the cheek to give me an explanation of how the springs were corroded after passing my wife's car, while her right rear wheel bearing was hanging off (I just couldn't get a new in time for the test)

8 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

I bought a Zafira a couple of months ago and now the passenger side headlight seems to have gone. A quick  check on youtube makes me think I have to go under the wheel arch to change the bulb. 

This can't be right?

Welcome to the shit, unnecessary, petty war between folk who design cars and folk who fix them.

Edited by RandomGuy.