Car advice

On 12/10/2020 at 17:07, CALDERON said:

Got a Scirocco a couple of months ago after wanting one for years, absolutely love it.

Scirocco’s look class like. Once my PCP is up I’d be looking at getting one. Although my Kia has served me well and is very stylish.

On 13/10/2020 at 08:18, Ron Aldo said:

Had a Scirocco for 3 years and changed it a couple of months ago. It was a brilliant car.

Only reason I changed it was because its a diesel and I simply wasn't doing the miles to justify having a diesel any longer. The DPF light came on a couple of times and it was becoming a pain in the arse having to take it a run every week or 2.

Thats my fear now.  I bought it a few months ago when I thought I would be going back into the office soon, now my 30 mile commute daily has gone down to zero :lol: 

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Leaving aside that your TL;DR is longer than your original message, not sure what advice you want. You want to buy another car and the trade in looks like it's above market from your own research, what else can folk say?

Mind you if I had a perfectly good car that I wasn't really driving very much at the moment I don't think I'd be taking on more finance to have a slightly faster car parked outside in this economic climate.

fair enough, yeah I kinda went a bit mad there. I'm blaming getting up way earlier than normal. Think it might well be a case that I posted it on here more to reassure myself/start seeing how it sounds written down and to get me thinking about it more than anything else, ha!

thing is that it's not strictly going to be on finance, it'll be a kind of soft loan from my partner to make up whatever I can't put toward it - she's said she's happy to take it in drips and drabs and maybe the odd lump sum, so it's interest free. I did think about job security as a factor tbf but if the worst came to the worst I own the car outright and could sell it a few months down the line, and even from my contribution I've not blown literally all of my savings away (have got some other cash squirrelled away in premium bonds and some other bits and bobs, have a couple of money jars I can break into for emergencies too)

went f**k it and bit the bullet, enquired about it on my lunch hour, tbqfh with all that's gone on this year I just really fancy a new (used) car. Have offered cash + the trade in, will see what they say on the callback later on, can be a wee bit flexible with it so fingers crossed they don't boot the arse out of trying to get me signed up on a finance deal or something... will be seething if they send me the video and it's scratched to f**k or summat

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

31 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Did you have to buy the tyres, otherwise how the hell did it cost that?

Had the wheels and tyres already, got both sets with the car.

2014 Polo with 70k miles on the clock. I had been expecting 3/400 quid equivalent. Apparently what I have paid is about as low as it gets here after the first full service. Hopefully tax deductable...

6 hours ago, Ross. said:

Car serviced on Monday. Needed f**k all done to it apart from the tyre change to get the winter tyres on. They arsed about with the AC as well, and mibbe an oil change. 800 quid gone.

I take it you're not in the UK? 😂

Kwik Fit done that to us. Sent an old scrap car we use for just driving about getting parts there for an MOT, as they miss rakes while the usual MOT station would give us a huge list.

Came back just needing a track rod end (which was fine, it was the ball joint that was moving) and brake hose. £40 for both parts, and Kwik Fit tried to charge £300 to fit them.

I take it you're not in the UK? [emoji23]
Kwik Fit done that to us. Sent an old scrap car we use for just driving about getting parts there for an MOT, as they miss rakes while the usual MOT station would give us a huge list.
Came back just needing a track rod end (which was fine, it was the ball joint that was moving) and brake hose. £40 for both parts, and Kwik Fit tried to charge £300 to fit them.
This is why I like Ireland method of nationalised test centres who point out what's wrong but aren't allowed to fix.
Then again, it would have been nice if they swapped my bulbs for me.

4 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Buy a Haynes book, some axle stands and DIY, it's not difficult and will cost a fraction of that.

Considered that for the tyres but as the car needed a service I took the lazy option and got them to do that but too. The resale value here for cars that don’t have a full service history with a reputable firm is horrendous compared to those that do. I essentially just paid the money to slow down the depreciation of value for when I get something bigger in a year or two.

Tyre change on its own cost me 120chf in April/May. 

Edited by Ross.

Just bought a 2015 Dacia Sandero 1.5 diesel
When I turn ignition on (engine not on just to turn on radio) there’s an electrical high pitch noise - I read somewhere it might be from headlights - it has parking lights that come on when car is on?

1 minute ago, marty_j said:

Just bought a 2015 Dacia Sandero 1.5 diesel
When I turn ignition on (engine not on just to turn on radio) there’s an electrical high pitch noise - I read somewhere it might be from headlights - it has parking lights that come on when car is on?

Is it an eeeeee...eeeeee...eeeee type noise or something else?

Ha ha aye just like that

Engines off key turned so radio comes on if you get me

When you turn it off completely continues for a minute then stops

It’s a long continuous very high pitched noise - not very loud

1 hour ago, marty_j said:

Ha ha aye just like that

IT'S YOUR HEARING AID

I take it you're not in the UK? [emoji23]
I've always found the likes of Kwik Fit, Halfrauds and Farmers add on stuff not needed to justify the low price of their MOTs.

1 hour ago, marty_j said:

Ha ha aye just like that

If you can stop it by turning your key off again  while its doing it, then it'll likely be your fuel pump priming (sending fuel to the engine).

29 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Anyone with a VW/Seat/Skoda had a turbo actuator issue? I've been told they need to replace my entire turbo to fix the issue with the actuator, obviously hoping to avoid this.

Is it a relatively new 1.2tsi/1.4tsi?

Actuator meant to pivot on a rod/spike type thing but seizes, so actuator rod can't travel. Can take them off, clean the hole, and get them working again, shouldn't need a turbo.

Edited by RandomGuy.