Car advice

My other half has decided her Kia Rio (2010) is getting a wee bit long in the tooth, although tbf it's never given us much bother.
Thinking about Peugeot 208 or a Fiesta - preferably low mileage and pre-2017 to take advantage of low tax rates. 
Anyone got any experience of either of these cars, or is there anything else in the small hatch range we could think about?
If it's the new Peugeot 208 then that's by far the best looking car in that class at the moment.

My other half had a last gen 208 and it was a nice enough car but the infotainment screen was awful. Everything was controlled through the screen including the heating which, to me, just seemed dangerous. Didn't help that the screen was slow and would constantly freeze. I'd expect a newer model would improve on this.

My other half has decided her Kia Rio (2010) is getting a wee bit long in the tooth, although tbf it's never given us much bother.
Thinking about Peugeot 208 or a Fiesta - preferably low mileage and pre-2017 to take advantage of low tax rates. 
Anyone got any experience of either of these cars, or is there anything else in the small hatch range we could think about?

I had a 17 plate fiesta ecoboost so had the 0 road tax. It was nippy off the mark, more so than the 1.2 and had absolutely no hassle with it, only got rid when baby came along as its not exactly practical for wean, dug and stuff. Was very good on fuel economy, the infotainment (ugh) system was pretty basic and dated but it has dab and Bluetooth so it did the job.

5 hours ago, pub car king said:

We have a 2015 fiesta ecobbost in our fleet at the moment.

Apart from general wear and tear tyres brakes etc its not given us any headaches. Its even survived a couple of trips from the south of England to fife.

Only issue in the horizon is I'm told the cam belt is a absolute c**t to change but that's due after 10 years bit it will be moved on before that.

2 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

If it's the new Peugeot 208 then that's by far the best looking car in that class at the moment.

My other half had a last gen 208 and it was a nice enough car but the infotainment screen was awful. Everything was controlled through the screen including the heating which, to me, just seemed dangerous. Didn't help that the screen was slow and would constantly freeze. I'd expect a newer model would improve on this.

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

I had a 17 plate fiesta ecoboost so had the 0 road tax. It was nippy off the mark, more so than the 1.2 and had absolutely no hassle with it, only got rid when baby came along as its not exactly practical for wean, dug and stuff. Was very good on fuel economy, the infotainment (ugh) system was pretty basic and dated but it has dab and Bluetooth so it did the job.

Cheers for that guys.

The last thing my other half needs is any kind of a distraction such as a slow or freezing info screen,

Comments on "weans, dugs and stuff" duly noted!

!:thumsup2

On 13/09/2020 at 11:41, welshbairn said:

I'm just wondering if they're run as franchises so some are good and some are shite. Checked the reviews for Sixt as well, they're just as awful. I guess you're only likely to bother to leave a review if you had a bad experience though. Think I'll just take pot luck on Europcar and take a full detailed video of it before accepting it. It's a fair bit cheaper than the others. 

Had no problem as it turned out. Couldn't be arsed with the video, quick shifty and drove off. Came back and got charged £8 for about 60 miles since I filled up the tank, no damage and car was fine. Not bad for £18 a day. Only annoying thing was them fixing the Satnav not to work by placing Llangollen half way across the Irish Sea, you have to pay an extra £15 a day for the code to make it work. If they charged a bit less for the extras I'm sure they'd get more takers. Problem with these reviews is if people get what they hope for in a service they won't comment. "Congratulations on your door opening and closing every time!". I'll probably leave something nice when I get the inevitable email from Trustpilot or whoever.

On 30/09/2020 at 15:41, ICTJohnboy said:

Mazda 2?

On 30/09/2020 at 15:41, ICTJohnboy said:

https://www.thebestcardeals.co.uk/

1 minute ago, Empty It said:

MOT question, I have a button on the dash for the horn which works perfectly but I haven't wired up the button on the steering wheel, will this fail the MOT despite having a separate button away from the wheel?

Not if it's plays La cucaracha

MOT question, I have a button on the dash for the horn which works perfectly but I haven't wired up the button on the steering wheel, will this fail the MOT despite having a separate button away from the wheel?
Mine just failed as 3 of my indicators are not orange enough.

If anyone knows how to wire up a button to play the sash when the hazards are pressed, please help out.

Just to add, given I live in rebel County, being told not orange enough does raise a few eyebrows

On 31/07/2020 at 17:54, welshbairn said:

Would I be daft even be thinking about this for a camper van? Low mileage ones cost an awful lot more. 

https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-motorhomes/volkswagen-camper/1379173382

This shows the advisories at the last MOT which lasts till September. It's been SORN'd for a while

image.png.df23d93394e1c69c758c1dd5609e5148.png

This was the fails that had to be fixed to get through the MOT last September.

image.thumb.png.da3482b14b58217619a0624c11e1fd63.png

Back to this one again. Said it would have to pass an MOT before I'd think about it. So he did and got this failure.

Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength Sill (5.3.6 (a) (i))
Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength Sill (5.3.6 (a) (i))

Then passed it with this advisory.

Suspension component mounting repair covered in underseal Sills

Does that mean that the MOT inspection couldn't see whether an adequate repair had been done? And does it sound as if the rust has gone so far that say a grand's worth of welding couldn't fix? The Gumtree ad has gone, but it's a 2000 reg VW Transporter campervan, nearly fully equipped for £3000. As campervans go this is really cheap, or it would be if it would last for 3 years or so without spending double fixing it.

Edited by welshbairn

55 minutes ago, keithgy said:

I would not touch it with a barge pole,the emissions are a warning light and with the engine having done 206k that would set alarm bells off.

Scraped through on the emissions this time so it's a worry, as is the rust. 206k with a 20 year old diesel van not so much. Will try to get it on a ramp this weekend to have a proper look. Is it possible that a faulty exhaust could be responsible for the emissions problem? The engine sounds sweet and hasn't come up much on the MOT history, mostly cosmetic stuff. I really like the van and the only alternatives in my price range are more like 40 years old and double the price. Campervans are a mad price these days. Head says no, heart says take a gamble if there's a chance of making it solid for a grand or so. 

P.S. Wondering if part of the emissions problem could be it's been parked up for the last few years with only short runs?

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, philpy said:

I'd love to buy an old school campervan. Next door neighbour has this beauty. 

received_500560557148999.jpeg

1984 reg, 92,000 on the clock.

Failed MOT in 2018 with this. Passed every year since with minor advisories.

image.thumb.png.29053575fb45748d51c1b07bfe87ceee.png

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Scraped through on the emissions this time so it's a worry, as is the rust. 206k with a 20 year old diesel van not so much. Will try to get it on a ramp this weekend to have a proper look. Is it possible that a faulty exhaust could be responsible for the emissions problem? The engine sounds sweet and hasn't come up much on the MOT history, mostly cosmetic stuff. I really like the van and the only alternatives in my price range are more like 40 years old and double the price. Campervans are a mad price these days. Head says no, heart says take a gamble if there's a chance of making it solid for a grand or so. 

P.S. Wondering if part of the emissions problem could be it's been parked up for the last few years with only short runs?

You get what you pay for. You can make up your own mind from here. 

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Does that mean that the MOT inspection couldn't see whether an adequate repair had been done? And does it sound as if the rust has gone so far that say a grand's worth of welding couldn't fix? 

It likely means someones shoved tape over the rusty holes than sprayed some underseal over it.

If the tester cant see the hole, he can't fail it. They're not allowed to remove anything.

I wouldn't be going near it. It sounds like theres a high chance you'd end up having to replace both sills in their entirety as they're previously been welded and have holes again (as in, there'll be nothing to weld new patches too, every time you weld you're burning bits away), while the engine seems to be quite clearly fucked.

If you're genuinely wanting advice then I'd tell you to forget about that one and wait for a better one, as the perfect car always comes along. I feel like you've already decided you're buying it though, tbh. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Passed every year since with minor advisories.

See this, this is the issue with using the MOT check website.

Its all in the hands of the tester. We had a van 15yr old van come in last week that had just failed at Kwik Fit for a drop link.

Ball joint and track rod end hanging off, anti-roll bar bushes the actual cause of the drop link knock, a seized front caliper and no handbrake. 

Someone checks whether to buy that van or not then they think its just a minor fix.

Same with folk who take their cars to the mates to get tested.

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I feel like you've already decided you're buying it though, tbh. 

No, you've convinced me. :bairn

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It likely means someone's shoved tape over the rusty holes than sprayed some underseal over it.

If the tester cant see the hole, he can't fail it. They're not allowed to remove anything.

That's what I suspected, was trying to believe otherwise. I'm guessing replacing the entire seals would be prohibitive? Couple of thousand or something? And likely indicative of terminal rust elsewhere? And the emissions thing..

the perfect car always comes along

Sage advice.

Edited by welshbairn

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm guessing replacing the entire seals would be prohibitive? Couple of thousand or something?

I honestly don't know, there's likely a market for them due to the amount that go about so you might find them cheap, but your issue is you never know how far you need to go until it starts getting welded and by then its potentially too late.

My old grandad had a Sierra that had a wee hole at the sill, had to remove the seats/seat belts inside to put the patch in. Ended up needing half a floor.

Renault really need a swift kick in the staines.
This was quicker than putting hand down the engine bay.
Bloody headlight had come off the motor and indicator bulb needed changedIMG-20201010-WA0000.jpeg