Car advice

How strict are the car hire places when it comes to enforcing the "1/2/3 years license" thing? Most likely going to be trying to hire something the next time I am home and have only had the license since February, so will be under the 1 year that Sixt have on their website.

Think I'm going to go with Webuyanycar to get rid of mine.

I take it the best option is to admit f**k all on the website and let them find any scratches, bumps etc they want to find. 

I have a fixed price in mind and if they don't give me it I'm happy just to drive off 

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Pretty strict. I just don't think they'll give you the keys.

Expected that might be the case but was hoping Covid had rattled their bottom line and they were willing to be a little less choosy about it as a result.

4 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Expected that might be the case but was hoping Covid had rattled their bottom line and they were willing to be a little less choosy about it as a result.

You could check this lot out, could be a prohibitive insurance surcharge, I know nothing about them.

https://indigocarhire.co.uk/blog/news/car-hire-new-drivers/

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You could check this lot out, could be a prohibitive insurance surcharge, I know nothing about them.

https://indigocarhire.co.uk/blog/news/car-hire-new-drivers/

Sent them an email, will see what they come back with. All dependent on the UK removing Switzerland from the quarantine list, and Switzerland not putting the UK back on it. Might end up well over the normal qualifying period before I get back!

I take it the best option is to admit f**k all on the website and let them find any scratches, bumps etc they want to find. 
I have a fixed price in mind and if they don't give me it I'm happy just to drive off 
I know there's a thread on here dedicated to how bad they are but I recently sold my car to Arnold Clark and couldn't fault them on it.

They gave a much better price than WBAC and I was in and out within half an hour. The only thing they picked up on was the 2 front tyres - legal depth is 1.6mm but Arnold Clark say they won't sell a car with any less than 3mm of tread. Basically, my tyres had more than 1.6mm of tread but less then 3mm. They took about £150 off their online valuation but it worked out at less than the price of 2 tyres so I wasn't going to argue as I still got a very decent price.

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Absolutely the opposite is true in my experience. Declare every ding and fault on the online form and they’ll keep the offer respectable to reel you in. Once you’re on the lot they’ll absolutely decimate the price for every new and undeclared thing they find. I think they work on the premise that by the time you’ve ended up on site you’ve mentally committed to just ditching the car.  

Check out Scotland's Car Buyer; part of Eastern Western Group too.

Was reading on a motoring site a couple of folk having to wait longer than the advertised 4 days to get their cash from WBAC; car sold on and advertised by the new dealer in the time it took. You can pay a fee to get your money quicker though.

53 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Just recently got myself a 2005 diesel engine Nissan X-Trail. It’s my first diesel car. Anyone got any tips on things to keep on top of to look after it? I’ll probably get an oil change done in the near future, get anti freeze coolant in it for winter.

All I know is that you need to give it a blast down a dual carriageway every so often to get the diesel particulate filter up to temperature and working properly.

Edited by welshbairn

51 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Just recently got myself a 2005 diesel engine Nissan X-Trail. It’s my first diesel car. Anyone got any tips on things to keep on top of to look after it? I’ll probably get an oil change done in the near future, get anti freeze coolant in it for winter.

Check the interval for changing the timing belt (40,000K comes to mind) any time I've had it done I've asked to have the water pump replaced at the same time.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

All I know is that you need to give it a blast down a dual carriageway every so often to get the diesel particulate filter up to temperature and working properly.

^^^ This is what I came on to say. 

Better to make gunning it down the motorway a semi-regular thing too so the car never gets to that tell-tale drop in power. 

8 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Thought a 2005 was a bit early for a dpf and indeed it seems it has neither a dpf nor a timing belt:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/41929/does-my-nissan-x-trail-have-a-dpf-and-dual-mass-flywheel-and-is-it-likely-to-give-problems-

Think the dual mass flywheel would have given out before now if it was a problem . Will probably trundle on forever with regular oil changes