Car advice

My son has not long turned 17. Long story why he needs a car, but he does. In the midst of a middle class, just tell him to get the fucking bus, anxiety crisis - what car should we get him?

A 15yo £500 chug a bug private buy out the classifieds seems culpable of delict.

On a £3000 motor it seems like we’re putting 2/3 of that sum into the dealers pocket.

And then £5000 or so buys a nearly new Aygo bean can type thing from our dear departed friend Mr A Clark. But then that seems a lot of money for a bean can.

My first car, which I bought myself in 1989, was an insurance written off mildly scorched 1979 Capri 1.6GL (in Calypso Blue) with a dodgy UV joint in the steering rack for £175. GLX976T. I’d be horrified to think of my only son and heir now running around in a similar death trap.

And then there’s the inevitable insurance once he’s passed the driving test and is allowed out on his own.

Any PnBrs have any experience of a similar situation? Any advice?

Resolved this by ending up buying a FSH 10yo Mini Cooper with 60k miles from a private sale for a shade under £3k. What a car! And the boy is delighted, the spawney get. Just hope it (he?) doesn’t end up in a hedge anytime soon.

Insurance (in his name) £300 until he passes, £1100 once he does. Cheapest alternatives were all within £150 of that but for that for flimsy bean cans that I certainly wouldn’t want to travel in.

• 1 month later...

Sad admission time... if you have an interest in cars then Harry’s Garage is a great way to vegetate for 20 minutes or so every couple of weeks.  He made a colossal fortune flogging Evo magazine when magazines still sold in big numbers now spends his days playing with his car collection on his Oxfordshire farm and driving to exotic destinations (and filming it).

35 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Sad admission time... if you have an interest in cars then Harry’s Garage is a great way to vegetate for 20 minutes or so every couple of weeks.  He made a colossal fortune flogging Evo magazine when magazines still sold in big numbers now spends his days playing with his car collection on his Oxfordshire farm and driving to exotic destinations (and filming it).

@The_Kincardine posted a couple here about him driving an old Rolls up to the Norwegian Arctic Circle in winter. 

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/224212-norway/&do=findComment&comment=12175202

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

@The_Kincardine posted a couple here about him driving an old Rolls up to the Norwegian Arctic Circle in winter. 

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/224212-norway/&do=findComment&comment=12175202

Sorry, hadn’t spotted that but yes, I watched that two part trip in he Rolls to see the Northern Lights. Dull but hypnotic viewing.

13 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Sorry, hadn’t spotted that but yes, I watched that two part trip in he Rolls to see the Northern Lights. Dull but hypnotic viewing.

Could have done with him crashing into a snowplough in a blizzard, but still better than Top Gear/Grand tour imo.

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Could have done with him crashing into a snowplough in a blizzard, but still better than Top Gear/Grand tour imo.

It makes those shows seem so childish and like the producers don't really have any interest in cars. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late to the party, but folk looking for a car with lots of bootspace should stare at a Mk3 Octavia. In terms of "litres" the hatchback is bigger than a Golf estate, while the estate version is obviously bigger still, to the point people have claimed to get two adult sized bikes in them. 

I bought a 63plate VRS for ~£10k so a basic Octavia of a similar age should be approaching £7k-8k with highish mileage. 

They're also incredibly easy to f**k about with, mines is standard but a remap has it pushing 330bhp

Edited by RandomGuy.

On 19/08/2018 at 17:13, paranoid android said:

So, that's my drive shaft fucked - how much is that likely to set me back, plz? 

Try Brakeways in St Andrew St. for a price of a new one. I got a part from them at the weekend, it was half the price that Eurocarparts wanted.

In fact, try the eurocarparts website, put your reg no. in and check how much they want for the part. At least it will give you an idea of top price that you might be looking at before you try Brakeways. Are you handy with a spanner? If not then the girl beside the Black Bull might be quite reasonable for changing it for you.

Edited by supermik

46 minutes ago, supermik said:

Try Brakeways in St Andrew St. for a price of a new one. I got a part from them at the weekend, it was half the price that Eurocarparts wanted.

In fact, try the eurocarparts website, put your reg no. in and check how much they want for the part. At least it will give you an idea of top price that you might be looking at before you try Brakeways. Are you handy with a spanner? If not then the girl beside the Black Bull might be quite reasonable for changing it for you.

Cheers, Mik

My garage fixed it for me today - £90  for the part then labour - I'd feared the worst when it ground to a halt at the lights at Newmills Road - just along from the Bull, in fact - if only I knew my heroine was just yards away! ;)

When the cunting thing just wouldn't go into gear, I thought my gearbox was goosed, so I'm sorted until the next saga.

The mechanic showed me the old part -sheer metal split on two caused by rust - mechanic had never seen it before.

I'm hopeless with a spanner, btw - tell me more about thus girl near the Bull. :wub:

29 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Cheers, Mik

My garage fixed it for me today - £90  for the part then labour - I'd feared the worst when it ground to a halt at the lights at Newmills Road - just along from the Bull, in fact - if only I knew my heroine was just yards away! ;)

When the cunting thing just wouldn't go into gear, I thought my gearbox was goosed, so I'm sorted until the next saga.

The mechanic showed me the old part -sheer metal split on two caused by rust - mechanic had never seen it before.

I'm hopeless with a spanner, btw - tell me more about thus girl near the Bull. :wub:

Good to hear that you got it sorted for what sounds like a decent price. 

Apart from all the technical engine stuff, I do all my own car maintenance work, brakes, calipers, suspension etc. Girl near the Bull is great for punctures and new tyres, very good prices. Quite sure that her mechanic work would be reasonably priced also. She has been there for a few years now.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Anyone had any experience of a dacia? Looking for a cheap run around second hand. Are they good for what they are or just cheap shite.

I got a lift home in one recently and it honestly felt like I was inside a Fray Bentos tin. I reckon if something hit you at anything above 25 mph it would go right through it.