Car advice

15 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

All personal preference. I can repair my car myself for almost nothing. To buy the car I wanted I was going to be making payments over five years. I decided a bank loan, buy it outright, own the car, was the best approach. As if any financial difficulties come my way a few years down the line I can sell the car, get all the money and use it to help. A finance deal wouldn't allow me that. 

Where as I am next to useless at that sort of thing! 

Couldnt agree more, though, its definitely down to personal preference and what suits the individual financially. I had a company car for four years, so got used to driving a new car with no hassle. Plus it meant I didnt have any cash saved or car to trade in towards a decent car when I changed jobs.

Leasing suits me, just now, but its definitely not for everyone.

12 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

My lease is 8000 miles. Drive Dingwall to Inverness and back 3 times a week plus whatever I get up to on my days off. Had my car 13 months now and just about to hit 7000 miles. 

I don't think I'd ever buy a car, lease suits me perfectly and isn't too expensive either. 

Im 4 months away from the end of 3 years and Im already over my 30,000 miles! I budgeted for it, though, as it was cheaper to take 10,000 miles a year and pay the excess than it would have been to pay for 12,000 miles a year.

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Im 4 months away from the end of 3 years and Im already over my 30,000 miles! I budgeted for it, though, as it was cheaper to take 10,000 miles a year and pay the excess than it would have been to pay for 12,000 miles a year.

Amazing how that often works out! With my first lease over 3 years I was on 10k a year, and did 55,000 miles (change in employment location) but it was still cheaper to pay the excess charge in a lump sum than what they quoted me extra per month. Really weird.

The Mrs 12 year old astra looks to be terminally ill and she wants to buy and own a car she will not be swayed in finance or pcp she is adamant she will pay the money and own it.

So to that extent looking at a very rough ball park of £6000 sonfar seen a few ford fiestas and seat ibiza which she likes the look of that are 3 to r years old

Any opinions on either or any other suggestions? It needs to have 5 doors be a hatchback and relatively new. 

Just now, Shandon Par said:

Just a mashed wheel. It has alloy wheel insurance cover anyway so I might let her stew for a bit before telling her.

A kerb cruncher? Can be nasty. I dodged the blame on kerb crunching an alloy once on a demonstrator by reporting it straight after I'd done it saying I'd just got out the car and noticed it on the passenger side. The blame went to the previous driver, which turned out to be the company MD so it was swept under the carpet and dealt with quietly. :batman

2 hours ago, pub car king said:

The Mrs 12 year old astra looks to be terminally ill and she wants to buy and own a car she will not be swayed in finance or pcp she is adamant she will pay the money and own it.

So to that extent looking at a very rough ball park of £6000 sonfar seen a few ford fiestas and seat ibiza which she likes the look of that are 3 to r years old

Any opinions on either or any other suggestions? It needs to have 5 doors be a hatchback and relatively new. 

I picked up one of these but with less than half the mileage a couple of months ago for £5k. Really like it, can see me keeping it long term and running it into the ground.

https://www.motors.co.uk/car-49093757/?i=1&m=sp

On purchase v pcp, I'm old school and prefer to buy the car. That's because I know I will do at least 15k miles a year and the costs of pcp seemed massive to cover that level of depreciation. 

I'm also not fussed about driving a new car every 3 years.  I will always try to keep it as long as it is reliable. I have bought Toyota or Mazda for years with a brief but disastrous flirtation with a Renault Megane estate which put me off French cars for life. I've now got a Hyundai i40 which I bought from Motorpoint for trade in plus cash plus took a loan at £250 a month. That was cheaper than pcp from what I could see. 

But mainly I did it because I'm too tight to hand back a perfectly good car when I can run the bugger for 6 or 7 years. 

Depends what suits you best I suppose. 

It's over 4 years, and was bought new, so worth about £8k.

Assuming you put down a £300 deposit you could have bought the car outright and been paying back an extra £35 a month over the 4 year period and the car would be yours at the end of it:

After 40 years of buying a car I have turned to straight leasing. Have moved from a Corsa to a Volvo V 40 which is costing £190 a month. So far no complaints.

Simple maths the Volvo was about £21k on the road - if I bought it then it was either use savings which would probably not be replenished or take out a loan. After 9 years I doubt that the Volvo would be worth a great deal and would also have to taken into consideration tyres, MOT's and repairs. 

In 9 years time, god willing, I will be on my 4th new car and will have spent the equivilant money that it would have cost me to buy the original.  Not for everyone but for now it seems the way forward for me.

I bought a 15 plate petrol Astra Sports Tourer around July 2016 - straight cash plus a trade-in on the old Clio I owned after my grandma's flat was sold and the cash divided up between the grandkids. 21000 miles when I got it, now up to about 30400.

Had absolutely no issues with it so far barring the usual wear and tear on brake pads, tyres etc. and, while I'm largely the type of person who will pop open the bonnet on a breakdown and go "oh yeah, that's right, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing" before haplessly trudging back into the car, a close friend is a time-served mechanic who can help me out with any minor issues I get. Parts are very reasonable for the model I've got too, imo.

I'm toying with the idea of looking at a newer car once it hits 50000 miles or so and seeing what I can get on a trade-in (also depends how much free cash I've got what I'd be looking at, although I quite fancy a Mazda 6 saloon) but if I have to run it into the ground I'd be okay with that.

Leasing is fine too - iirc there were some terrific Ford deals available not too long ago, probably still are. I may well have been better off taking that money and committing to a 4 yr lease but I quite like owning the car and having the option of keeping it, trying to sell it privately or using it in a trade in for the future.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

2 hours ago, throbber said:

Assuming you put down a £300 deposit you could have bought the car outright and been paying back an extra £35 a month over the 4 year period and the car would be yours at the end of it:

If its on PCP he'll have the option of buying it at the end anyway. Or, if the cars worth more than the buy-out, he'll have money for the deposit on another PCP deal.