Car advice

I am not sure what PCP deal you are looking at or what miles etc. the deal is for but the interest rate on that deal is abysmal.   On PCP deals, there are two things that affect the deal;
1. The future guaranteed value.
2. The interest rate.
Get a high 1. and a low 2. and there is no better way of purchasing a new car.

That’s why I don’t think it’s right for me, I only want a car to do about 8000 miles a year at most for a few trips up the road and for getting out and about with the baby, I only want to be paying £150 a month at most as well so I’m not going to be getting a particularly expensive/new motor so I may be better off getting a bank loan and paying the cash price for it. It’s a headache tbh.

45 minutes ago, throbber said:

That’s why I don’t think it’s right for me, I only want a car to do about 8000 miles a year at most for a few trips up the road and for getting out and about with the baby, I only want to be paying £150 a month at most as well so I’m not going to be getting a particularly expensive/new motor so I may be better off getting a bank loan and paying the cash price for it. It’s a headache tbh.

Have you worked out your potential mileage carefully? 8000 sounds an awful lot for shopping trips and occasional weekend visits to relatives.

4 hours ago, strichener said:

Porsche have had a few cars where you could have kept them for a couple of months and then sold them for more than the list price.  This was due to the length of the waiting lists from Porsche for new cars.

JCB's can also appreciate in value, but I would concede a Porsche will probably outperform them on the motorway.

Horses for courses. What do you want/need?

I do a high mileage on my own with work, I need something presentable. I lease.

If you need a cart to transport your filthy weans between swimming pool/McDonald’s/brownies/Aldi and cover about 100 miles a week, I’d say buy something just out of warranty and give it a slow painful death.

We’ve got both. Each for its own purpose.

Have you worked out your potential mileage carefully? 8000 sounds an awful lot for shopping trips and occasional weekend visits to relatives.

No, it’s impossible for me to figure out the mileage carefully as I haven’t been in this situation since living in Edinburgh.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

No, it’s impossible for me to figure out the mileage carefully as I haven’t been in this situation since living in Edinburgh.

Doubt you'll do more than 5000 tops if you aren't commuting. 8000 is over 150 miles a week or 22 miles a day.

4 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

My lease is 8000 miles. Drive Dingwall to Inverness and back 3 times a week plus whatever I get up to on my days off. Had my car 13 months now and just about to hit 7000 miles. 

I don't think I'd ever buy a car, lease suits me perfectly and isn't too expensive either. 

4 1/2 thousand of that is your 3 day commute.

Doubt you'll do more than 5000 tops if you aren't commuting. 8000 is over 150 miles a week or 22 miles a day.

You’re right, I’ll probably make a 500 mile round trip 6 or 7 times a year so 5000 would be a reasonable estimate. Think I would be best going for a car for about £5k -£6k outright rather than a pcp deal.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

You’re right, I’ll probably make a 500 mile round trip 6 or 7 times a year so 5000 would be a reasonable estimate. Think I would be best going for a car for about £5k -£6k outright rather than a pcp deal.

I would. A three year old car with low mileage is about half the price of a new one. Splash out on extended warranty to avoid shock repairs and it should last you 10 years minimum, or until your gambling improves and you can upgrade.

I would. A three year old car with low mileage is about half the price of a new one. Splash out on extended warranty to avoid shock repairs and it should last you 10 years minimum, or until your gambling improves and you can upgrade.

That’s good advice, this thread has been most helpful!

Personally I'd say that's ideal for a PCP.

I have a Corsa on PCP, 6000 miles a year, and I'm pretty much bang on the run rate at the moment. I use it for my 5 mile commute during the week then getting to football at the weekends (an average of probably a 30 mile round trip).

7 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I have a Corsa on PCP, 6000 miles a year, and I'm pretty much bang on the run rate at the moment. I use it for my 5 mile commute during the week then getting to football at the weekends (an average of probably a 30 mile round trip).

I agree. Get 2 years of servicing included in the monthly payments and give it back after 3 years and get a new one.

Should never have to pay anything extra that you weren’t expecting.

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

How much do you pay?