Car advice

i had a problem with my car recently - it started with leaking you could clearly see there was something wrong as the water was pissing out the bottom, then the coolant light came on and there was steam coming from where the coolant goes in it was like a boiling kettle, so i took it to a nearby garage and they bled it out, not entirely sure what that means but they did it and it was fine, then i put more coolant in a a week later and it started doing same thing again, guy I know who is a mechanic thought it might be head gasket but took it to garage again but they didn't know what was wrong with it and presumably bled it out again then it was fine for 2 months maybe then i had to take it to sort out a slow puncture and the light came on again so told them to check it out and they now think the thermostat is leaking somehow. Anyone know roughly how much it will cost? Its a 2005 bmw

You're looking at thick end of 3 grand for a timing belt mate :(

New car time I think. That thing sounds like it's dying

Yup - just called Noble's at Straiton - £1,500 for a new timing chain. :lol:

Guaranteed, if I take it to the scrappie's, they'll give me £75 for it, patch it up, and sell it to some mug like me!

Ach, well!

They're not absolutely certain, but they think it's 'stretched'!

Timing Belts don't stretch, they're reinforced with fibre glass. It would just snap instead of stretching. Unless your revving the fucker to all hell, in which case the heat would stretch it if it was the original belt, which wouldn't happen in an Auto

Its the same with a Chain. Its just not safe to design something that would eventually stretch over time. Its more likely that a tensioner or pulley thats worn.

What mileage has your car done anyway? Belt/Chain should be replaced at circa 65k regardless

Can't imagine why its £1,500 either, seems an incredible price for what shouldn't be all that complicated a job. We do them for less than half of that on Audis and you've got to take the front end off of them, can't imagine you'd have to do that in a Micra

Edited by RandomGuy.

Timing Belts don't stretch, they're reinforced with fibre glass. It would just snap instead of stretching.

Its the same with a Chain. Its just not safe to design something that would eventually stretch over time. Its more likely that a tensioner or pulley thats worn.

What mileage has your car done anyway? Belt/Chain should be replaced at circa 65k regardless

Can't imagine why its £1,500 either, seems an incredible price for what shouldn't be all that complicated a job. We do them for less than half of that on Audis and you've got to take the front end off of them, can't imagine you'd have to do that in a Micra

I'll need to check the mileage, but £1,500 seems a bit steep to me - I was expecting to be quoted hundreds, but not thousands.

I think the big companies are at it a wee bit.

It's taking a lot of revs to get it started, and it cut out twice in a five minute journey last night - the battery and oil lights came on, and the engine just stopped running - must have come as a bit of a shock to the car behind me!

I'll need to check the mileage, but £1,500 seems a bit steep to me - I was expecting to be quoted hundreds, but not thousands.

It's taking a lot of revs to get it started, and it cut out twice in a five minute journey last night - the battery and oil lights came on, and the engine just stopped running - must have come as a bit of a shock to the car behind me!

Could be something as little as a Cam sensor. Then you are looking at £50

Aye that price (£1500) is way too much, the big dealers aren't called stealers for nothing. Always go to a small independent garage, and the warning lights coming on like that doesn't mean too much, that's just 'coz the engine effectively stalled and the ignition was still turned on.

Needing a lot of revs on start up? possibly air or fuel starvation. When was it last serviced? Try changing the filters and plugs, add some redex and go for an Italian tune up.

• 2 weeks later...

My son has a Honda Civic Type R. It is on a 53 plate with 105k on the clock. He lives through the west but works in Edinburgh so he has a bit of a commute a couple of times a week. He has been looking to change the car for something more economical.

A guy has offered him a straight swap for a Seat Leon FR TDi. It is on a 05 plate with 134k on the clock. It also has 10 months mot on it.

I have seen pictures of the car and it looks very nice.

Does anybody on here have any experience of these cars and if so what should we look out for on it?

I'm going to be looking at changing one of our cars later on this year. Possibly a Kia Ceed - economical Diesel engine, estate car, decent price. Anyone had one?

My son has a Honda Civic Type R. It is on a 53 plate with 105k on the clock. He lives through the west but works in Edinburgh so he has a bit of a commute a couple of times a week. He has been looking to change the car for something more economical.

A guy has offered him a straight swap for a Seat Leon FR TDi. It is on a 05 plate with 134k on the clock. It also has 10 months mot on it.

I have seen pictures of the car and it looks very nice.

Does anybody on here have any experience of these cars and if so what should we look out for on it?

If it was me I would keep the Civic,yes the Seat is a good car with VW running gear and bullet proof engines but 134k would make it a hard car to sell in the future.