Car advice

Yeah that sounds right. Some of the old MGs has overdrive (though my Midget doesn't) and it only kicks in in 3rd and 4th gear by the flick of a switch. It provides a higher ratio to eek out more pull for the revs you're doing.

This is correct, overdrive is basically an extra gear for better fuel economy on the micra.

Older sports cars like the MG's and Triumph Dolomite sprint had the overdrive as a performance add-on.

The Dolomite sprint was the first mass produced car to use 16 valve engine btw.

On the subject of "Americanism" and cars. Do people say "throttle pedal", or "accelerator pedal"?

Only a cretin would call it the "throttle pedal". It's either the "accelerator", "the accelerator pedal", or "the throttle".

• 1 month later...

Depending how far away you are and if your car is still driving with current keys these guys http://www.glenrotheslocksmiths.co.uk are really good for car keys and do them at a fraction of the price a dealership would want.

Might be a bit of a trek but I'd say its worth giving them a bell.

Depending how far away you are and if your car is still driving with current keys these guys http://www.glenrotheslocksmiths.co.uk are really good for car keys and do them at a fraction of the price a dealership would want.

Might be a bit of a trek but I'd say its worth giving them a bell.

Cheers! :)

Any idea how much dealers ask for replacement keys?

Cheers! :)

Any idea how much dealers ask for replacement keys?

Ford (the thieving b*****ds) quoted me £150 before and half the time they just use the guy who I linked you to, who done me one for £50.

There was another time when the blade on my key was worn but the top half with all the electronics etc in it was fine. It was the type of key which splits into two pieces if you put a screwdriver into it. Therefore when Ford wanted £150 all he done was split the key in two, used the existing top piece and had a blank bottom piece to fit on the shelf which he cut for me and slotted on. Total cost a fiver.

Ford (the thieving b*****ds) quoted me £150 before and half the time they just use the guy who I linked you to, who done me one for £50.

There was another time when the blade on my key was worn but the top half with all the electronics etc in it was fine. It was the type of key which splits into two pieces if you put a screwdriver into it. Therefore when Ford wanted £150 all he done was split the key in two, used the existing top piece and had a blank bottom piece to fit on the shelf which he cut for me and slotted on. Total cost a fiver.

A hundred and fifty fucking quid for a set of fucking car keys? :lol:

I think I'll be making a wee trip to Glenrothes - might as well get a fish supper in Anstruther while I'm aboot it! :lol:

A hundred and fifty fucking quid for a set of fucking car keys? :lol:

I think I'll be making a wee trip to Glenrothes - might as well get a fish supper in Anstruther while I'm aboot it! :lol:

The cheeky b*****ds at Ford probably would have told me to "come back in an hour while they make it" and sent one of their lackies up to get the guy in Glenrothes to do it and charged me 3 x the price. The c***s.

I'd give them a call first, not sure if they can do all keys, maybe some of the newer ones might be a problem, but they are pretty sound and will help you if you can.

The cheeky b*****ds at Ford probably would have told me to "come back in an hour while they make it" and sent one of their lackies up to get the guy in Glenrothes to do it and charged me 3 x the price. The c***s.

I'd give them a call first, not sure if they can do all keys, maybe some of the newer ones might be a problem, but they are pretty sound and will help you if you can.

Cheers, bud! :thumsup2

Cheeky b*****ds, though, eh? :lol:

• 2 months later...

Me again! :rolleyes:

My car is totally fucked!

Anyone know how much it would cost to fix a timing belt?

It's a Nissan Micra automatic.

There's also water getting into the fuel tank.

New car time I think. That thing sounds like it's dying