Car advice

My car was serviced and MOT'D last week and the last day or so the the top up oil warning message came up on my dash,checked the oli tonight and not a drop on the dipstick,checked under the car on the drive and oil all over the stones.It was fine before the service.

Edited by Andy Dufresne

25 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

My car was serviced and MOT'D last week and the last day or so the the top up oil warning message came up on my dash,checked the oli tonight and not a drop on the dipstick,checked under the car on the drive and oil all over the stones.It was fine before the service.

Have they changed the oil and not refitted the drain plug?

2 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Perhaps they only spent 20minutes on the service?

Seriously I’d be on the phone to them immediately. I’d also not drive it anywhere. 

I have texted the garage and told them i am dropping it off 1st thing monday morning,i have bought so oil to top it up so i can drive it the half mile to the garage.

5 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

4 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I have texted the garage and told them i am dropping it off 1st thing monday morning,i have bought so oil to top it up so i can drive it the half mile to the garage.

Loose or cross threaded oil drain plug or oil filter is the leading potential cause. It is difficult to consider any other cause with a service and MOT

On 11/03/2023 at 09:13, alta-pete said:

Would commend those that like cars to heed my learned friends advice. 5/6/8 cylinder engines are now in terminal decline due primarily to emissions targets. But if a nice drive makes you smile, you need to get one before they’re confined to weekend classics. 4 cylinders are indeed more efficient but they have nothing like the charisma. Mind you, the 3 cylinder in the boy’s Mini Cooper is a peppy wee thing. 

I always favour the big and lazy over the peppy wee buzz bombs...

Edit:  This is the first V6 I've had since a 2.7-litre Honda-engined Rover I had back in nineteencanteen.  It's a delight.

Edited by The_Kincardine

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

I always favour the big and lazy over the peppy wee buzz bombs...

Edit:  This is the first V6 I've had since a 2.7-litre Honda-engined Rover I had back in nineteencanteen.  It's a delight.

Those Rover 827s were great old barges. Not particularly pacey, but like driving around on a 3 piece suite.

My 1994 Rover 220 turbo was the best car I've ever had.

18 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Those Rover 827s were great old barges. Not particularly pacey, but like driving around on a 3 piece suite.

My 1994 Rover 220 turbo was the best car I've ever had.

Quite the desirable motor 'back in the day'.  And looked the part.

21 hours ago, TxRover said:

Loose or cross threaded oil drain plug or oil filter is the leading potential cause. It is difficult to consider any other cause with a service and MOT

Other option is not actually buying the service pack for the car... We picked up a used 3 series a few years ago. Was promised it would be serviced before collection, definitely was but you need to change the o-ring when you do the oil filter (comes in the service pack for a reason...) Guy ended up spending more money sorting out the resultant leak than it would have cost to just but the service pack in the first place.

29 minutes ago, mac.i said:

Other option is not actually buying the service pack for the car... We picked up a used 3 series a few years ago. Was promised it would be serviced before collection, definitely was but you need to change the o-ring when you do the oil filter (comes in the service pack for a reason...) Guy ended up spending more money sorting out the resultant leak than it would have cost to just but the service pack in the first place.

Correct. Some vehicles use aluminium or copper crush washers, which must be replaced after each use…guess what quick lube places, and sometime even dealers often skimp on?!

1 hour ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Car fixed,it was a faulty sump plug seal,the garage owner was so embarrassed and offered to pay for the oil that I bought.

Keep any documents admitting this, as if your engine has been damaged, his professional insurance can be claimed against.

Had the car in for a service and it’s first MOT today. I was sent a vehicle health check that said the rear brake discs and pads were in a critical condition, with the discs needing immediate replacement, and the pads needing replaced to maintain safe operation. The garage then phoned to say the car is ready for pick up and the car had passed it’s MOT with no failures or advisories. I’m a bit puzzled how the health check can say brake discs need immediate replacement, but the MOT is OK. Maybe something to do with the fact they don’t have the brake parts in stock so they couldn’t sting me for new brakes to pass the MOT. They then quoted £400 to replace back pads and discs, which seems extremely expensive to me.

43 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

Had the car in for a service and it’s first MOT today. I was sent a vehicle health check that said the rear brake discs and pads were in a critical condition, with the discs needing immediate replacement, and the pads needing replaced to maintain safe operation. The garage then phoned to say the car is ready for pick up and the car had passed it’s MOT with no failures or advisories. I’m a bit puzzled how the health check can say brake discs need immediate replacement, but the MOT is OK. Maybe something to do with the fact they don’t have the brake parts in stock so they couldn’t sting me for new brakes to pass the MOT. They then quoted £400 to replace back pads and discs, which seems extremely expensive to me.

Seems steep depending on the car of course. I was £450 a couple of years ago for Brembo discs and pads on all 4 corners of Subaru WRX STi. Not from the Subaru dealer obviously.

1 hour ago, Soapy FFC said:

Main dealer? 

1 hour ago, Soapy FFC said:

@PWL did you not have something similar?

42 minutes ago, RH33 said:

@PWL did you not have something similar?

Aye.  Almost identical story. Was Macklin motors with a Qashqai - which are basically Panzers . 2 services and 2 MOTs at local garage and a visit to Kwik Fit for a puncture later and no one else has 'noticed' the apparently critical issue...

2 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

What’s the vehicle? With that knowledge, a judgement on the cost can be made. As everyone notes, various brands and models can have crazy price differences in parts.

6 days of ownership and some fanny of a child has opened a car door on it when their parent wasn't paying attention 🫣

Said parent in fairness came and found me and it'll get sorted. Put a fucker of a dent in the straight edge of the design on the door and took the paint clean off.