Car advice

15 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I used to work for vauxhall in a previous existence and it gets thrashed more than a ginger step child, eventually it (the car) will be fucked. 

Plus it's getting on a bit anyway. 

You'd make a great replacement for Jeremy Clarkson now he's been cancelled!

20 hours ago, pub car king said:

Anyone got a current seat leon? 

My old astra is starting to show its age and the creaks and rattles are multiplying monthly, not to mention a dpf light that's coming on more and more often means I'm now exploring the next step. 

Had a couple of ibizas back in the day a 2.0 16v rally then 1.9 tdi both were fairly rapid, fun to drive and reliable. 

Now considering a leon estate 1.5 petrol 

I've got one and had no issues so far. It has the 1.5 150bhp engine which has a decent amount of shove for everyday use and is quite economical (though not as much as I was expecting). 

Good points are that it drives well, is comfy and the FR Sport model comes with a good amount of kit. Bad points are that pretty much everything including the heating is operated via the touch screen which is fiddly at best and downright dangerous at worst, although to be fair every manufacturer seems to be going down the same route so it isn't a design flaw exclusive to Seat. 

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

Cheers, this isn't an oh shit I need a car pronto so have time to plan buying it. 150 petrol is the one I'd go for heard the touch screen was a pain in the ring.

It’s all off the VW system architecture, and they do love those stupid touch and slide style shite.

Anyone help with this?

Few months back, all the controls on my steering wheel that work the stereo (volume up/down, next/prev track, next/prev radio station etc) all stopped working. Not really a problem, the radio's well in reach.

Then, a couple of months ago, the power socket stopped working.

Now, this weekend, my reversing camera has packed in too.

Do I have some creeping issue with my electrics that's hopefully easily fixed?

It's a 2015 Nissan NV200, if that helps.

6 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Anyone help with this?

Few months back, all the controls on my steering wheel that work the stereo (volume up/down, next/prev track, next/prev radio station etc) all stopped working. Not really a problem, the radio's well in reach.

No expert but that sounds like loose wiring connections to me, probably easy to fix but I wouldn't hang about, you don't really want the risk of sparks flying about.

14 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Anyone help with this?

Sounds like a creeping fuse box issue. The steering wheel controls could be either a fuse or a loose connection/pinched wire in the steering column. The power socket is likely individually fused, the reversing camera IDK.

The power socket should be a 20A fuse in slot 15 of the passenger compartment fuse box.

You can check to see if the reverse lights are working, and if they aren’t, the relay is bad…no signal from the relay and the lights don’t work and the cap area doesn’t activate.

37 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Anyone help with this?

Is the horn still working ? 

On 31/01/2023 at 21:44, pub car king said:

My old astra is starting to show its age and the creaks and rattles are multiplying monthly, not to mention a dpf light that's coming on more and more often means I'm now exploring the next step. 

Had a couple of ibizas back in the day a 2.0 16v rally then 1.9 tdi both were fairly rapid, fun to drive and reliable. 

I have a 20 plate Leon, which has issues with it's Stop/Start and emission management. 

It's in for it's 3rd trip to the garage tomorrow after I got it in November.

At least the climate controls are physical buttons!

Honda CRV 2010 diesel, engine warning light on with a message about low flow EGR. Have had the valve replaced with a second hand one and the pipes and stuff around it checked and cleaned. The message gets cleared but it still comes back and it goes into limp mode again. Only about 91k and fsh. Probably something silly like a dodgy sensor but nobody can nail it.

Edited by Tony Ferrino

4 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Honda CRV 2010 diesel, engine warning light on with a message about low flow EGR. Have had the valve replaced with a second hand one and the pipes and stuff around it checked and cleaned. The message gets cleared but it still comes back and it goes into limp mode again. Only about 91k and fsh. Probably something silly like a dodgy sensor but nobody can nail it.

Which valve? That engine might have, it seems, a lo and hi EGR valve. Have they cleaned both systems? Here’s a link to a discussion on a 2012 CRV…

https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/code-p049b-egr-b-flow.221323/

10 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Anyone help with this?

Try selling the car for £150.

At that price you can't turn it down. 

Anyone know an insurance company that would give temporary insurance for someone with an EU Driving licence. I want to let them drive my car but when I tried to get them added as a driver on my own insurance that wasnt possible.

Edited by ScotiaNostra

3 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Anyone know an insurance company that would give temporary insurance for someone with an EU Driving licence. I want to let them drive my car but when I tried to get them added as a driver on my own insurance that wasnt possible.

Screenshot_20230209-131626_Samsung Internet.jpg

I've been looking at moving on my old Astra and like the look of the Hyundai Tucson but I'm put off by the MPG of the petrol engines. I wouldn't do a lot of miles a year so a diesel doesn't seem like a good choice. Are the petrols as bad as some of the reviews make out?

1 hour ago, RiG said:

I've been looking at moving on my old Astra and like the look of the Hyundai Tucson but I'm put off by the MPG of the petrol engines. I wouldn't do a lot of miles a year so a diesel doesn't seem like a good choice. Are the petrols as bad as some of the reviews make out?

Got a diesel Tucson and it’s been a great car. Finance payments are ending in a couple of weeks and then the lump sum becomes payable so it’s going up for sale next week. 65 plate, 34000mls. 11k ovno.

On 31/01/2023 at 21:44, pub car king said:

I have the Mk3 (2019) Seat Leon 2.0 petrol FR estate. It's the 190 bhp. Can't recommend it enough. Has more extras than the similar Audi A4, comfortable and reasonably quick. Boot is big enough for both the dogs with a 5 star euro ncap. Being the Mk3 the heating is not part of the touch screen.

Great car imo.

Edited by johnnydun