Car advice

1 hour ago, Elric said:

Was looking to but a new Hyundai and went to Square Deal Motors in Falkirk.  Older Salesman started to deal with us, told him I would be trading in a Volvo and he stated they did not take anything other than a Hyundai as a trade-in. I asked if he was serious and stated the same thing. Walked out and ended up at Arnold Clark to secure the vehicle I wanted. Not my first choice of dealership but transaction went seamlessly.

Later found out from another salesman at Square Deal that what he had stated was a load of bull and it would appear that he just could not be bothered dealing with customers that day.

My first instict is to say that is disgraceful service then my mind wandered to my days at University when I had a part time job in Victoria Wine.  In the build up to Christmas they would heavily market the gift wrapping service. I tried many times but every single one I produced looked like an ill mannered bush.  My solution to this was to exclaim (sympathetically I might add) that we had run out of the wrapping stuff as the delivery had not arrived that week.

15 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

My first instict is to say that is disgraceful service then my mind wandered to my days at University when I had a part time job in Victoria Wine.  In the build up to Christmas they would heavily market the gift wrapping service. I tried many times but every single one I produced looked like an ill mannered bush.  My solution to this was to exclaim (sympathetically I might add) that we had run out of the wrapping stuff as the delivery had not arrived that week.

All whilst stood next to a big pile of wrapping paper and  sellotape presumably.

On 28/01/2023 at 20:15, beefybake said:

What I've stated is basic law of contract.  It over-rides any slippery stuff in a so called 'terms of agreement'.

Wouldn't it depend on the exact variation i.e. would a change of stereo brand be considered justification for walking away?  

On 28/01/2023 at 08:53, Elric said:

Was looking to but a new Hyundai and went to Square Deal Motors in Falkirk.  Older Salesman started to deal with us, told him I would be trading in a Volvo and he stated they did not take anything other than a Hyundai as a trade-in. I asked if he was serious and stated the same thing. Walked out and ended up at Arnold Clark to secure the vehicle I wanted. Not my first choice of dealership but transaction went seamlessly.

Later found out from another salesman at Square Deal that what he had stated was a load of bull and it would appear that he just could not be bothered dealing with customers that day.

My niece's boyfriend went there and the salesman told him they don't allow test drives. They only allow them if he has already bought the car. He walked out too. 

Maybe got the same guy. 

8 hours ago, hk blues said:

Wouldn't it depend on the exact variation i.e. would a change of stereo brand be considered justification for walking away?  

Actually, under contract law, generally yes. If they proved the substitution was of equal or greater quality and value, they would have a chance o enforce the sale, but it’s likely a decision would favor the buyer. The example would be if when he signed the contract the stereo for the car was made by Alpine, but branded Mazda, and the delivered car had a stereo of the exact same spec (speakers, power, etc) made by Kenwood…then it’s a change of manufacturing process with negligible impact. If instead you ordered Harmon-Kardon and they deliver Bose, you can likely opt to break the contract.

I just had the wee runabout Peugeot 208 in for its MOT. I knew it likely needed a spring as there was a knock coming from it, so that was replaced as expected, but on picking the car up the knocking was worse than before so I took it straight back. Now they say it also needs the shock absorber and strut top replaced too, despite having just passed the MOT a few hours earlier. Clearly something not right here and I am formulating a strongly worded response.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

My car goes into the garage on Wednesday. A coil spring fell off it. 

The bane of modern car manufacturing.  Coil springs nowadays appear to be made with each end of the coil just chopped

vertically straight through the spring, whereas of old, the ends were cut in the form of a chamfer so that the the chamfered part

merged smoothly into the coil above.   The straight cut verticals create a stress point that transmits through the rest of the coil,

and leads to failure of the coil. 

That's my understanding of it, anyway.  A cheapening of the manufacturing process. 

Edited by beefybake

17 hours ago, TxRover said:

Actually, under contract law, generally yes. If they proved the substitution was of equal or greater quality and value, they would have a chance o enforce the sale, but it’s likely a decision would favor the buyer. The example would be if when he signed the contract the stereo for the car was made by Alpine, but branded Mazda, and the delivered car had a stereo of the exact same spec (speakers, power, etc) made by Kenwood…then it’s a change of manufacturing process with negligible impact. If instead you ordered Harmon-Kardon and they deliver Bose, you can likely opt to break the contract.

That's  what I was getting at - in itself the change of stereo would not necessarily justify walking away if the replacement was of an equal, or even better, standard.  

Anyone got a current seat leon? 

My old astra is starting to show its age and the creaks and rattles are multiplying monthly, not to mention a dpf light that's coming on more and more often means I'm now exploring the next step. 

Had a couple of ibizas back in the day a 2.0 16v rally then 1.9 tdi both were fairly rapid, fun to drive and reliable. 

Now considering a leon estate 1.5 petrol 

40 minutes ago, pub car king said:

My old astra is starting to show its age and the creaks and rattles are multiplying monthly, not to mention a dpf light that's coming on more and more often means I'm now exploring the next step. 

Had a couple of ibizas back in the day a 2.0 16v rally then 1.9 tdi both were fairly rapid, fun to drive and reliable. 

I think Tynie Bagstock has one and has had a few problems with it

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

I think there’s been a number of previous posters on here that have recommended giving the old girl a right good thrashing (Mr Williams), or what is now colloquially known as giving her ‘an Italian tune-up’. Put more simply, give it 1/2 hour on the motorway in 3rd gear and you should solve that particular issue.

The creaks and rattles? I’m afraid that’s what happens when you end up with a Vauxhall…

Edited by alta-pete

3 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I think there’s been a number of previous posters on here that have recommended giving the old girl a right good thrashing (Mr Williams), or what is now colloquially known as giving her ‘an Italian tune-up’. Put more simply, give it 1/2 hour on the motorway in 3rd gear and you should solve that particular issue.

The creaks and rattles? I’m afraid that’s your fault for buying a Vauxhall…

Looking up Astra DPF warning, that’s apparently the most common issue, the “keep driving” warning. Apparently, 8-10 minutes at 60+ mph and 3,000+ rpm does the job.

I used to work for vauxhall in a previous existence and it gets thrashed more than a ginger step child, eventually it (the car) will be fucked. 

Plus it's getting on a bit anyway. 

Edited by pub car king