Car advice

55 minutes ago, beefybake said:

If you're getting these light/codes coming up, perhaps what's needed is more attention to how regularly you service the car

Fair point. The two occurrences were with different vehicles which were both older with patchy service history. I've usually done filters & fluids myself on older cars.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Thank you.

Fingers crossed the garage can get to the bottom of it, if it's the battery then that sounds like a nice easy fix.

To be honest, changing a battery is about an easy job as there is these days. Unless they’ve made something weird that needs resetting after a power outage (I’m looking at you, Alfa Romeo), it’s a doddle to do, you can use whatever battery you prefer rather than what the shop has in stock, and you save the install charges. If the battery is over three years old, it’s worth it anyway.

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

To be honest, changing a battery is about an easy job as there is these days. Unless they’ve made something weird that needs resetting after a power outage (I’m looking at you, Alfa Romeo), it’s a doddle to do, you can use whatever battery you prefer rather than what the shop has in stock, and you save the install charges. If the battery is over three years old, it’s worth it anyway.

Some VWs and Land Rovers have coded batteries (maybe other brands too, I can't remember) where you need to code the battery to the car after fitting it or you'll end up with a rake of faults. 

Literally no reason for it beyond trying to get people to stop doing DIY work to their cars and its just a piss take.

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Seeing as it's only done 20,000 miles and it's not 2 years old yet I'd rather they have a good look at it and check, but if they do say it's the battery then I'll know how to sort it in the future.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Some VWs and Land Rovers have coded batteries (maybe other brands too, I can't remember) where you need to code the battery to the car after fitting it or you'll end up with a rake of faults. 

Literally no reason for it beyond trying to get people to stop doing DIY work to their cars and its just a piss take.

Makes sense, from their point of view…I’ll take a wild guess that Seat don’t do it though. Nevermind, see below.

Edited by TxRover

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Looked it up, FFS VW/Audi!

Different battery energy management systems on the market.

Most car manufacturers, as well as BMW, work with an open system, i.e. the independent aftermarket can install a suitable replacement battery without having to reprogram the vehicle electronics. However, manufacturers such as Audi use a closed system and assign so-called BEM codes for original batteries and original replacement batteries. The independent aftermarket is not able to provide this kind of code for replacement batteries.

PS: In Volkswagen Group repair workshops (Audi, Seat, Skoda, VW), calibration takes place via a guided function of the online diagnostic and information system (ODIS Offboard Diagnostic Information System). Data such as the BEM code, serial number and nominal capacity of the new original replacement battery are entered. In this way, the energy management system knows immediately that a new battery has been installed. The Volkswagen Group is currently able to enter any 10-digit serial number. The VW serial number is used for tracking the battery and for warranty purposes.

Is it possible to install the battery without a BEM code?

Yes, it is possible to install a non „BEM-approved battery“ using the example of Audi. However, a battery must be used that is of original equipment quality (the best would be Running Bull EFB or AGM), as well as being identical to the size of the original battery and having approximately the labelled performance of the original battery, at least in terms of capacity.

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

Seeing as it's only done 20,000 miles and it's not 2 years old yet I'd rather they have a good look at it and check, but if they do say it's the battery then I'll know how to sort it in the future.

A quick multimeter test would give you an idea of the battery volts without the need of a battery tester to check the voltage so your not stranded on your trip next week to rule it out ,that’s  if it’s not going in to the garage before then as a recovery aa/rac would be a dear day out for them to replace a battery  if stranded . 

11 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Looked it up, FFS VW/Audi!

Different battery energy management systems on the market.

Most car manufacturers, as well as BMW, work with an open system, i.e. the independent aftermarket can install a suitable replacement battery without having to reprogram the vehicle electronics. However, manufacturers such as Audi use a closed system and assign so-called BEM codes for original batteries and original replacement batteries. The independent aftermarket is not able to provide this kind of code for replacement batteries.

PS: In Volkswagen Group repair workshops (Audi, Seat, Skoda, VW), calibration takes place via a guided function of the online diagnostic and information system (ODIS Offboard Diagnostic Information System). Data such as the BEM code, serial number and nominal capacity of the new original replacement battery are entered. In this way, the energy management system knows immediately that a new battery has been installed. The Volkswagen Group is currently able to enter any 10-digit serial number. The VW serial number is used for tracking the battery and for warranty purposes.

Is it possible to install the battery without a BEM code?

Yes, it is possible to install a non „BEM-approved battery“ using the example of Audi. However, a battery must be used that is of original equipment quality (the best would be Running Bull EFB or AGM), as well as being identical to the size of the original battery and having approximately the labelled performance of the original battery, at least in terms of capacity.

Its a farce.

We had a bog standard 17 plate Polo which wouldn't start unless we coded the battery in. A Polo GTI started but would put every single warning light on.

I won't even talk about how the Range Rover reacted 😂

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its a farce.

We had a bog standard 17 plate Polo which wouldn't start unless we coded the battery in. A Polo GTI started but would put every single warning light on.

I won't even talk about how the Range Rover reacted 😂

This will cause legislation like the right to repair stuff for phones and such, but it’ll take time…it is stupid, counterproductive and very anti-consumer. The pisser is it isn’t exactly new, as even the Honda van I had 20 years ago had a Shop Manual and an Electrical Shop Manual both as thick as a phone book (old reference, but…) and it was silly what you had to know to even reset the sliding power doors.

Just now, TxRover said:

This will cause legislation like the right to repair stuff for phones and such, but it’ll take time…it is stupid, counterproductive and very anti-consumer. 

Cars these days arent meant to be fixed, its just silly. When designing a car its apparently written in youve to be able to change a headlight at the side of the road, which is obviously near impossible on most cars.

Done a clutch slave cylinder on a Tiguan today. Old cars you just take the pipe out, 2 bolts, new one on and bleed. This i had to remove the gearbox to get into the 3 bolts.

1 hour ago, Arthur daley said:

A quick multimeter test would give you an idea of the battery volts without the need of a battery tester to check the voltage so your not stranded on your trip next week to rule it out ,that’s  if it’s not going in to the garage before then as a recovery aa/rac would be a dear day out for them to replace a battery  if stranded . 

I don't have a multimeter, I might pack some jump leads as a precaution however the garage provide breakdown cover for the first 90 days so it's their bill to pay if it goes tits up.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

If its running fine then I'd be surprised if its doing anything serious. The fact you've got a stop/start fault heavily suggests its the battery though, which I just noticed you mentioned in an older post.

Lot of batterys are now coded and while they can be charged enough to run the car, if they dip below a certain voltage they'll stop doing certain functions. Start/stop is always the first to go.

I got to reason that the financial and environmental cost of replacing a car battery and the stop/start nature of the car was far more damaging that I turn off this stupid feature.

Too many modern car issues are caused by failing or faulty computer components. 

That could be down to cheaper components being used to reduce production costs that result in many more unnecessary service charges by dealerships. 

Or it could be that the manufacturers realise that they can limit the lifespan of vehicles. 

They have been doing it for years with “modern” phones, laptops and tablets. 

I’m glad I still have my Nokia 3310!

What a device!

2 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Still no sign of the wiring loom turning up from Vauxhall for my wife's car,it is 3 months next week they have had her car.

Probably got used to patch up a Russian T-80 that some farmer captured.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Grem456 said:

Hi all. I drive a BMW X5M. Very cool car, everything in it suits me. But as you all know with the German cars very often strange things happen. this is me compared to the Japanese, with them I never had any problems. Constantly began to knock out different errors on the dashboard. I have already visited all possible service stations. They couldn't help me anywhere. I need to go to the dealer, and this service costs unreasonable money. Okay, if it helped, but so I went to them and in half a year again the same picture. After much anguish, it was decided to buy an OBD. Now I myself without any help, once a week, sometimes more often, read all the errors and just one click smartphone reset them. I understand that this is wrong, but no one can help me. Even the dealership does not give me any guarantee on their work. Maybe someone will find this information useful. If you have this situation and no one is able to help you, do not bother, just solve the problem yourself.

Oh, please share your useful link......