Car advice

2 hours ago, 101 said:

Thank you sarge I shall see how I get on.

How I will almost certainly get on:

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_20221113-122503.thumb.jpg.9f39da12e2ee8f42a0f2c56090006b2d.jpg

Before you do anything much with it, a paintless dent removal visit can probably take some of the waviness out, although on the panel edges and certain areas, it’s not as effective. After you do that, a little work with a polish and some scratch remover will minimize the appearance. If you have to, a professional shop could do a touch up and color sand to improve the finish somewhat, but the fully correct answer is always expensive and annoying.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Before you do anything much with it, a paintless dent removal visit can probably take some of the waviness out, although on the panel edges and certain areas, it’s not as effective. After you do that, a little work with a polish and some scratch remover will minimize the appearance. If you have to, a professional shop could do a touch up and color sand to improve the finish somewhat, but the fully correct answer is always expensive and annoying.

Cheers, the door is actually cracked in the inside the the muppet that hit it clearly get it some shunt.

So think it should probably get seen to rather than just get the cosmetics done.

54 minutes ago, 101 said:

Cheers, the door is actually cracked in the inside the the muppet that hit it clearly get it some shunt.

So think it should probably get seen to rather than just get the cosmetics done.

If there is a paintless dent repair place nearby, they can advise you about the extend of the damage, as they usually pull the interior panel anyway to work the dents out. Worth an ask, and they can also advise if it’s worth an insurance claim.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Take it back to whoever sold it to you. Act angry. 

"You sold me a car with a dent in it!" 

No cheek, no chance...

It was cazoo so they have clear pictures of it not dented

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

As an aside, were they any good?

At some point soon I might change cars. 

Yes they were excellent, their delivery fee is a bit steep compared to Cinch but if you in near Falkirk then you are just as well picking it up.

If you see something you like you can phone them to reserve it for 3 days they boy how picked up my old car had no quibbles about the state of my old car and wasn't wide about getting the (excellent) price down. I would use them again for sure.

9 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

How long should you be getting out of a set of tyres? I’m getting barely 10k miles out of a set on the front of my car at the moment, which seems ridiculous to me. 

Depends on how you drive the car. Nice gentle driving on tarmac, 40k miles. Monstering the car round bends and chasing sheep through the fields and muddy tracks, 10k miles. 

17 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

How long should you be getting out of a set of tyres? I’m getting barely 10k miles out of a set on the front of my car at the moment, which seems ridiculous to me. 

You're either buying cheap shite tyres or doing sets of doughnutz outside your local chippy to impress da yoot.

Desist from both and get some Pirelli P6's.

2 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

First, where are the tires worn? Center of tread, edge or edges, evenly, are they cupped or otherwise unusual?

Several considerations:

1) Type of tyre. High performance and Summer tyres are softer compounds and wear more quickly.

2) Type of automobile. High performance cars tend to have alignment setups that cause more wear on tire edges, for instance, Alfa Romeo Giulias are notorious for getting 10-20k max from tyres that other cars get 20-40k from.

3) Inflation pressures. The door jamb inflation pressure is chosen by the manufacturer to provide a safe handling experience while maximizing ride comfort. Most of these recommendations are somewhat lower than ideal, except for sports cars, where they are often chosen to improve cornering. In most cases, tyres tend to wear out on the edges before the center, due to this somewhat low inflation recommendation.

4) Driving style. Spinning tyres, sliding, heavy braking, aggressive cornering, etc cause more wear than sedate driving.

5) Roadway conditions. The poorer the roadway, the more the wear is likely to be.

6) Vehicle use. Highway miles tend to be gentler than urban/suburban driving, but continuous high speed driving, especially with a tyre not speed rated for those speeds, is potentially very damaging.

Feel free to post a picture of the wear with details of auto type and driving style.

13 minutes ago, TxRover said:

First, where are the tires worn? Center of tread, edge or edges, evenly, are they cupped or otherwise unusual?

Several considerations:

1) Type of tyre. High performance and Summer tyres are softer compounds and wear more quickly.

2) Type of automobile. High performance cars tend to have alignment setups that cause more wear on tire edges, for instance, Alfa Romeo Giulias are notorious for getting 10-20k max from tyres that other cars get 20-40k from.

3) Inflation pressures. The door jamb inflation pressure is chosen by the manufacturer to provide a safe handling experience while maximizing ride comfort. Most of these recommendations are somewhat lower than ideal, except for sports cars, where they are often chosen to improve cornering. In most cases, tyres tend to wear out on the edges before the center, due to this somewhat low inflation recommendation.

4) Driving style. Spinning tyres, sliding, heavy braking, aggressive cornering, etc cause more wear than sedate driving.

5) Roadway conditions. The poorer the roadway, the more the wear is likely to be.

6) Vehicle use. Highway miles tend to be gentler than urban/suburban driving, but continuous high speed driving, especially with a tyre not speed rated for those speeds, is potentially very damaging.

Feel free to post a picture of the wear with details of auto type and driving style.

^^^

"It's  perfectly normal dear, I'm  taking photos of the tyres for my pals on the Internet..."

3 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I used to put Yokohama's on my lexus GS300 and had to change the rear tyres at every service which at that time was 9000 miles