Car advice

3 hours ago, strichener said:

What kind of car is it?  On Peugeot's, if you press the service button (spanner) it will tell you how many miles are left.

Careful, that’s (“la clé à molette”)…use it or the Académie Française will be all over you!

It's some sort of larger variation of a Fiat 500 (Crossover?) much to my daughter's delight and actually pretty decent to drive. I managed to go through the settings and eventually found the Adblue is showing half full despite the warning message so I'll probably just see it out and keep an eye on it.

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

8 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I managed to go through the settings and eventually found the Adblue is showing half full despite the warning message so I'll probably just see it out and keep an eye on it.

In my old work van it would tell you to fill up once it hit 500m left.

You'd then get a counter and it telling you you've got X miles left before the engine won't start again from 250m.

On 27/06/2022 at 16:12, Ron Aldo said:

I took out my first lease a couple of years ago. It's due back next month and will be replaced by another lease. Theres a couple of comparison sites you can use such as leasing.com or Lease Loco. There's also a thread on pistonheads.com where people will post up lease deals which might not be displayed on those sites.

In terms of tips, I'm sure there's also threads on Pistonheads which have hints and tips when it comes to leasing. The main thing which I took on board is not to bother with a maintenance package unless the length of the lease term exceeds the warranty on the car. I think maintenance costs also include servicing but, in my case, I didn't bother with the leasing company's maintenance package and just took out a separate service plan to cover services as that worked out cheaper.

Thanks for that, been checking out lease offers directly on the companies websites, seems like some good offers to be had but some of the monthly prices are wild for what you get. 

I'll have a search on pistonheads, been years since I ventured on there, trip down memory lane. 

Only thing I'm worried about is the "reasonable wear and tear" as I've got a two year and can see at least one area of the car getting abused, tempted to get an older workhorse until she's a bit older. Then again, you could do that a few times a year and end up spending more than I would on a lease. 

• 4 weeks later...

Car passed its MOT today. 

Not very exciting I know but that's now 2 x MOTs and 2 x services plus a visit to Kwik Fit to repair a puncture since the original dealership told me both front brake discs needed replaced.

On a car that had done a total of 9,000 miles and less that 2,000 miles since the previous (second) service where they had a clean bill of health. 

I'd specifically asked local garage to look at it and their reply was "at it". 

16 minutes ago, PWL said:

Car passed its MOT today. 

Not very exciting I know but that's now 2 x MOTs and 2 x services plus a visit to Kwik Fit to repair a puncture since the original dealership told me both front brake discs needed replaced.

On a car that had done a total of 9,000 miles and less that 2,000 miles since the previous (second) service where they had a clean bill of health. 

I'd specifically asked local garage to look at it and their reply was "at it". 

There is no worse feeling than not trusting your garage when the MOT comes around. 

The kid just started driving lessons and I wanted to insurer her to drive one of the vehicles we have. None of them are exactly classic “learner” cars and the insurance company didn’t want to know.

Instead of going through them I got her insured on Veygo. Seemed decent value and it can be set up for a couple of weeks, a month or just an hour or so as required. Seems a decent service if you need to let someone borrow your car or if you need to take a learner out.

5 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

The kid just started driving lessons and I wanted to insurer her to drive one of the vehicles we have. None of them are exactly classic “learner” cars and the insurance company didn’t want to know.

Instead of going through them I got her insured on Veygo. Seemed decent value and it can be set up for a couple of weeks, a month or just an hour or so as required. Seems a decent service if you need to let someone borrow your car or if you need to take a learner out.

Very handy to know about that, hadnt heard of it. i work around hillington and my cars mot is due up soon, public transport to and from work would be doable for a day or two if its not needing much done (notwithstanding more and more rail strikes...) but at about double my journey times there and back. Can probably sweet talk my mum/dad into borrowing either my mums shitbox or (preferably) my dads vw for a bit, looks cheaper than dicking around with taxis etc. 

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

1 minute ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Very handy to know about that, havent heard of it. i work around hillington and my cars mot is due up soon, public transport to and from work would be doable for a day or two if its not needing much done (notwithstanding more and more rail strikes) but at about double my journey times. Can probably sweet talk my mum/dad into borrowing either my mums shitbox or (preferably) my dads vw for a bit, looks cheaper than dicking around with taxis etc. 

My garage lends me a car when I leave it for a service and MOT.

25 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Very handy to know about that, hadnt heard of it. i work around hillington and my cars mot is due up soon, public transport to and from work would be doable for a day or two if its not needing much done (notwithstanding more and more rail strikes...) but at about double my journey times there and back. Can probably sweet talk my mum/dad into borrowing either my mums shitbox or (preferably) my dads vw for a bit, looks cheaper than dicking around with taxis etc. 

There’s a site called Marmalade that does a similar thing. It has no impact on your folks’ insurance and the excesses are low too. 

Raging at myself but I hit another car in a car park and drove off without leaving a note , I received a letter from my insurer saying my car was involved in an incident and to contact back. What is the best way to go about this? Inform police or go back to the shop? 

Just now, Ekhibee88 said:

Raging at myself but I hit another car in a car park and drove off without leaving a note , I received a letter from my insurer saying my car was involved in an incident and to contact back. What is the best way to go about this? Inform police or go back to the shop? 

Grab the go-bag from the cupboard under the stairs. It has cash, passports, and travel documents.

38 minutes ago, Ekhibee88 said:

Get the smallpox vaccine to be on the safe side.

You’re getting rimmed in the jail.

Edited by Left Back

1 hour ago, Ekhibee88 said:

I'd do what your insurer suggested and ask them. No point in not being truthful as it's likely on candid camera.

12 hours ago, Ekhibee88 said:

1. This is scumbag behaviour. Imagine someone had done that to your car?

2. Engage with your insurer. 

Hope you get points, a fine and increased premiums.