Car advice

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but does anyone have any good recommendations for a car leasing company to lease through. Cba spending a ton of cash buying a car outright anymore, don't think PCP or HP really represents good value either anymore and think I'm earning enough to lease something decent now. 

Also, if anyone has done it before, feel free to post up any do's and don'ts. Thank you, thank you. 

On 22/06/2022 at 00:48, TxRover said:

In the US it’s truly kicking ass. Currently offers a 5 yr/60k basic warranty and 10 yr/100k powertrain warranty, in the US….what’s the current standard warranty’s in the UK for Kia?

On 22/06/2022 at 01:43, welshbairn said:

7 years is standard here as well, and fully transferable if you buy second hand within that period. I'm hopeful I will be changing car in the next year, looking at a Kia, either PHEV or fully electric.

I was on a country lane and got into a multi-car stand off which ended up with me doing multiple hill starts in reverse up quite a steep wet slope. Clutch was smoking quite a lot. Let it cool down and seems to be working now. 

Do i need a new clutch? 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I was on a country lane and got into a multi-car stand off which ended up with me doing multiple hill starts in reverse up quite a steep wet slope. Clutch was smoking quite a lot. Let it cool down and seems to be working now. 

Do i need a new clutch? 

Most likely, no. The smoking is overheating of the clutch, which can easily occur with a situation like that. If it works normally after cooling off, and isn’t difficult to use or notchy now, it probably suffered little long-term damage. It will have a slightly reduced life from worn off friction surface material, but as long as the clutch wasn’t already nearly worn out, that’s unlikely to cause other damage. It is possible you’ve massively overheated the flywheel, but that takes a lot more than you’ve described. The only way to know that is an inspection, which would entail basically removing the clutch…so, if it’s working normally, I’d not worry.

Just now, TxRover said:

Most likely, no. The smoking is overheating of the clutch, which can easily occur with a situation like that. If it works normally after cooling off, and isn’t difficult to use or notchy now, it probably suffered little long-term damage. It will have a slightly reduced life from worn off friction surface material, but as long as the clutch wasn’t already nearly worn out, that’s unlikely to cause other damage. It is possible you’ve massively overheated the flywheel, but that takes a lot more than you’ve described. The only way to know that is an inspection, which would entail basically removing the clutch…so, if it’s working normally, I’d not worry.

Brilliant, thanks! 

The cost of a new clutch was giving me the fear. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Do i need a new clutch? 

No, but you probably need driving lessons.

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

Do i need a new clutch? 

One for future reference but if you’re on a single track road the general principle is the uphill traffic has right of way. 

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but does anyone have any good recommendations for a car leasing company to lease through. Cba spending a ton of cash buying a car outright anymore, don't think PCP or HP really represents good value either anymore and think I'm earning enough to lease something decent now. 
Also, if anyone has done it before, feel free to post up any do's and don'ts. Thank you, thank you. 

I took out my first lease a couple of years ago. It's due back next month and will be replaced by another lease. Theres a couple of comparison sites you can use such as leasing.com or Lease Loco. There's also a thread on pistonheads.com where people will post up lease deals which might not be displayed on those sites.

In terms of tips, I'm sure there's also threads on Pistonheads which have hints and tips when it comes to leasing. The main thing which I took on board is not to bother with a maintenance package unless the length of the lease term exceeds the warranty on the car. I think maintenance costs also include servicing but, in my case, I didn't bother with the leasing company's maintenance package and just took out a separate service plan to cover services as that worked out cheaper.

I've got a hire car on holiday and a message has come up on the dashboard saying Adblue levels are low. A quick Google search suggests I've got a few thousand miles before the engine won't start so might just carry on. Anyone got any advice on Adblue?
It usually gives a range somewhere on the electronic dash as to how many miles you've got.

1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I've got a hire car on holiday and a message has come up on the dashboard saying Adblue levels are low. A quick Google search suggests I've got a few thousand miles before the engine won't start so might just carry on. Anyone got any advice on Adblue?

I had no idea what it was, so I looked it up. Urea is an ingredient, you can just pish in whatever bit it goes in. I didn't bother reading any further.

Thanks, I'll have a look but didn't see anything obvious before. Failing that, I'll take the Sarge's advice!

If the adblue level drops below a certain level the car won’t start so it’s worth finding out how many miles you’ve got before that will happen. As has been said already it’s likely there will be a countdown on one of the screen on the dashboard - you might need to work your way through them to find the adblue section. My Jeep counts down from 1,500 miles so you’ve probably got a fair mileage before the car will shut down if the message has just started to appear.
All garages sell adblue now so if you need to fill up it shouldn’t be an issue or as Sarge says just park up at the nearest pub and get the punters to have a slash in the adblue tank instead.

18 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Phone/email the hire company. Unless you’re doing ‘000s of miles it’s not your job to be topping up the levels. And if it does go ‘phut’ you’ve already warned them; you’re in the clear. 

Their problem to solve. 

22 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

3 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Phone/email the hire company. Unless you’re doing ‘000s of miles it’s not your job to be topping up the levels. And if it does go ‘phut’ you’ve already warned them; you’re in the clear. 

Their problem to solve. 

Maybe so but you don't want it to shut down in the middle of nowhere whoever's fault it is. It only seems to cost about £1 per litre, so if it's as easy as it looks here I'd go mad and drop a couple of litres in next time I was filling up the diesel.

your-guide-to-adblue-what-is-it-who-need

Thanks all.

Yeah, it should be easy enough to do even with the language barrier. I'm also of the view that they should have been providing me with a road-ready car with everything topped up, similar to oil, but it don't want it not starting when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

I can't see a mileage countdown on the dashboard but will have a look through the settings.

1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Thanks all.

Yeah, it should be easy enough to do even with the language barrier. I'm also of the view that they should have been providing me with a road-ready car with everything topped up, similar to oil, but it don't want it not starting when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

I can't see a mileage countdown on the dashboard but will have a look through the settings.

What kind of car is it?  On Peugeot's, if you press the service button (spanner) it will tell you how many miles are left.