Car advice

2 hours ago, Steven W said:

The 'check engine' light on my car (ten year old) has illuminated yellow. The car is driving fine, but will need to get it checked out. Problem is I'm away down to Manchester on Wednesday and back on Saturday. Doubt a garage will look at it in that timeframe, so unsure whether to risk driving it down there in its current condition. Any advice / thoughts?

I bought one of these code readers recently. Works with most cars and it was less than half the price of getting it checked in a garage.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08BPC179W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png.89cf49154e5e0ac3aff494cedeafce7b.png

On 10/04/2022 at 13:38, Steven W said:

Been reading the most common cause of this is a loose / broken petrol cap. The rubber seal has a shit load of wee cracks so I suppose it might just be that.

Ordered a new cap (might just take the seal off it) from Amazon and getting delivered tomorrow. Hopefully that'll fix it and that's all it's down to. (I fear it's something a bit more sinister though.)

If you replace a bad cap with a new (good, hopefully) one, just remember that it generally takes between 5 and 20 stop-start cycles to clear the old code. Different brands use different trip levels for the warnings, thus the range.

In a similar vein, leaving your filler cap loose can cause the same issue…and may also take a number of cycles to clear.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

Latest midlife crisis car incoming..

image.jpeg.09980085f1da9da3281b8b5918ea0590.jpeg

Got the Cupra Formentor mentioned a while back too. Really nice motor. 

If the mid life crisis car is the hard top coupe then much respect.  I had one about 12 years ago and stupidly sold it. It is now worth a lot more than I sold it for. 

3 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

If the mid life crisis car is the hard top coupe then much respect.  I had one about 12 years ago and stupidly sold it. It is now worth a lot more than I sold it for. 

Prices are mad on the coupes and the m3s from a few generations back. This is just a convertible but I figured as the coupes get more unattainable it should eventually push up the roadster prices. Even if it doesn’t plummet in value I’ll be fine. Was meant to be getting a sensible first car for daughter and got a bit lost in the classifieds.

12 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Me again.

So the cars drinking a tub of coolant every couple weeks. Been to garage who promptly retired from the industry. Couldn't find any leaks.

Had a similar problem, in this case though it was that there were so many small bloody holes that trying to find them all was nigh on impossible. Bottle of K-SEAL solved the problem.

58 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

Had a similar problem, in this case though it was that there were so many small bloody holes that trying to find them all was nigh on impossible. Bottle of K-SEAL solved the problem.

Google suggests it's a common problem with A1's

On 09/06/2022 at 17:12, Shandön Par said:

^Missus/Shandon has put the Cupra into the forth imo.

Edited by 101

On 09/06/2022 at 17:12, Shandön Par said:

There must be something in the water. I too have taken a similar plunge. Not particularly looking forward to the 9hr drive back up the road from West Sussex though…

F1390912-3CEB-4B50-ADD8-0A07B40CECE4.jpeg

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

There must be something in the water. I too have taken a similar plunge. Not particularly looking forward to the 9hr drive back up the road from West Sussex though…

F1390912-3CEB-4B50-ADD8-0A07B40CECE4.jpeg

Nice! Zim Zimma, who got the keys to the Bimmas? I looked all over but found the one I was after just down the road from me. Once drive a hire car down to Kent then back home in my new car the same day. 

Ooft that’s a drive. Much easier (I hope) Gatwick and back up the M25/40/6/74 for me. 

Lived down in that part of the world for a few years. Much more favourable climate and no salt on the roads in winter means the cars tend to last a lot longer without rusting to death. Worth the trip I think. 

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

Ooft that’s a drive. Much easier (I hope) Gatwick and back up the M25/40/6/74 for me. 

Lived down in that part of the world for a few years. Much more favourable climate and no salt on the roads in winter means the cars tend to last a lot longer without rusting to death. Worth the trip I think. 

I used to live in East London and there was a garage called Rude Bimmas (and it’s sister garage Rude Mercs£. They had a fine selection of stuff that looked like it had come straight off an old Ice T album cover.

On 10/06/2022 at 19:39, Shandön Par said:

Could be a dodgy radiator cap? A bottle of that K Seal could be a good move as suggested too.

It was mums car and as it happens my parents need it back as finding one car a bit limiting.

So no doubt I'll end up buying something that fails spectacularly in six months.

23 hours ago, alta-pete said:

I used to get quite a few questions when my old car went in for its MOT. The folk in the garage were always a bit shocked at how rusty the undercarriage of the car was. 12 Scottish winters seemingly causes quite a bit of damage under there! 

45 minutes ago, pub car king said:

The South East of England is a good spot for car buying. The weather is a lot less harsh as there is no sea for miles and the choice is about 30x greater than you can find in Scotland. 

…and because of the money down there and the (relatively) short commutting distances you can get a wide selection of (what were) very high spec/priced cars that have been well looked after for (relatively) modest money. 

On 10/04/2022 at 18:23, welshbairn said:

If it's 10 years old you'll probably find instructions on youtube to find the error code. I did it with a paper clip stuck in the fuse box a few years ago, and you can find a list of error codes and what they mean for your car online. 

Months late to this but I was - one Saturday night - dancing in some random street of Dundee slapping my lights as an error code come up and I went online to see it was a loose connection. Must have been some sight if anybody was looking out their window bit the codes never come back!