Car advice

17 minutes ago, Tam M said:

I have a Mitsibushi Outland 69 reg - automatic transmission. I know nothing about cars, and only passed my test in December... We went for this as we needed the 7 seats with 4 weans and a dug, and had 360 camera, which was really appealing for a new driver with not used to driving such a big car.

The past few times I have been out, it feels like it's going to stall sometimes when I stop at the lights etc. I've noticed that the Rev display shoots down from 1 to 0 when this happens. It only does this sometimes. The car goes fine again when I accelerate.

The Mrs thinks it's an eco thing, I think otherwise as why doesn't it do it everytime the car is idle.

Am I going to look like a right tosser or do I have a valid concern here...

Sounds like start/stop technology, which is on most modern cars. 

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Has anyone had their car re-mapped or had a tuning box installed and if so what's the general thoughts?

Thinking about getting it done for my current car in an effort to see if I can get better MPG out of it.

Yeah with multiple cars, the MPG thing is usually total bollocks, but you'll have a faster car. Usually always seen good gains on turbos, probably wasting your time with an NA. 

18 minutes ago, Empty It said:
1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:
How much does it cost to make your car sound like a lawnmower?

Just drill a few holes in your exhaust, instant racecar.

The reason I asked is because I crashed my old car through a hedge and I got it to sound like a lawnmower for free.

47 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

The reason I asked is because I crashed my old car through a hedge and I got it to sound like a lawnmower for free.

Surely a hedge trimmer rather than a lawnmower?

1 hour ago, Empty It said:
2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:
How much does it cost to make your car sound like a lawnmower?

Just drill a few holes in your exhaust, instant racecar.

The exhaust fell off my old Renault Laguna, it sounded like a Lancaster Bomber.

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The exhaust fell off my old Renault Laguna, it sounded like a Lancaster Bomber.

I was about to type “the exhaust broke on my old Alfa and it sounded like a Lancaster Bomber” when I spotted your post there. Gutted when they fixed it. Pity these young folk who don’t know what a Lancaster sounds like. Shame you shot so many of them down.

The 'check engine' light on my car (ten year old) has illuminated yellow. The car is driving fine, but will need to get it checked out. Problem is I'm away down to Manchester on Wednesday and back on Saturday. Doubt a garage will look at it in that timeframe, so unsure whether to risk driving it down there in its current condition. Any advice / thoughts?

8 minutes ago, Steven W said:

The 'check engine' light on my car (ten year old) has illuminated yellow. The car is driving fine, but will need to get it checked out. Problem is I'm away down to Manchester on Wednesday and back on Saturday. Doubt a garage will look at it in that timeframe, so unsure whether to risk driving it down there in its current condition. Any advice / thoughts?

If it's 10 years old you'll probably find instructions on youtube to find the error code. I did it with a paper clip stuck in the fuse box a few years ago, and you can find a list of error codes and what they mean for your car online. I am not at all a proficient diy mechanic. On the other hand you could probably find a garage to do the error check it for you tomorrow for about £40?, takes minutes, and decide whether the problem is worth risking the trip.

Been reading the most common cause of this is a loose / broken petrol cap. The rubber seal has a shit load of wee cracks so I suppose it might just be that.

Ordered a new cap (might just take the seal off it) from Amazon and getting delivered tomorrow. Hopefully that'll fix it and that's all it's down to. (I fear it's something a bit more sinister though.)