Car advice

7 hours ago, RH33 said:

No, just going into first, having to almost force it. Surprised it's not grinding.

Mrs a-p drives an A1 and we sometimes have the same problem. 

We usually find a bottle of rosé and a tickle on the neck frees things off adequately. 

15 hours ago, RH33 said:

No, just going into first, having to almost force it. Surprised it's not grinding.

I get that problem in my A4 about once every 3 months where it will just not go into 1st or 2nd when stationary, have to put into 3rd to pull away but once it starts going there is no problem dropping down the gears again.  don't what to take into the garage as know that the bill will be large.

If you get to the bottom of it please let me know?

17 hours ago, RH33 said:

2 hours ago, The Stig said:

I get that problem in my A4 about once every 3 months where it will just not go into 1st or 2nd when stationary, have to put into 3rd to pull away but once it starts going there is no problem dropping down the gears again.  don't what to take into the garage as know that the bill will be large.

Don't think you're alone. Seems like it's an issue that randomly crops up. A garage adjusting gear linkage may sort it.. or a gearbox rebuild.

Also a basic thing that may sound insulting but worth checking - mat maybe slipping under clutch when driving along?

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Don't think you're alone. Seems like it's an issue that randomly crops up. A garage adjusting gear linkage may sort it.. or a gearbox rebuild.

Also a basic thing that may sound insulting but worth checking - mat maybe slipping under clutch when driving along?

The gear thing sounds expensive, if my dad's sold me an Arnold Clarker I'll not be happy!

Mat not slipping.

19 hours ago, The Stig said:

This isnt trying to be patronising, but.........when this happens do you take your foot off the clutch and try again?

All gearboxes / clutches can play up on occasion, but its usually just for a moment - I think that people forget that there is a lot of mechanical wizardry goes into making it all appear seamless.

4 hours ago, Leith Green said:

This isnt trying to be patronising, but.........when this happens do you take your foot off the clutch and try again?

All gearboxes / clutches can play up on occasion, but its usually just for a moment - I think that people forget that there is a lot of mechanical wizardry goes into making it all appear seamless.

happens very occasionally with my astra yeah, just a kind of vague "wait is this actually in gear" sensation shifting in the lower gears. Have learned by feel if its not right just to press the clutch back down, into neutral and try again, works at the 2nd attempt every time so just a minor inconvenience. (Its not the clutch slipping i dont think, just a mediocre gearbox)

Edit: the feel is in the actual shifter rather than at the clutch pedal, its a hard thing to explain but just the kind of... the physical position it shifts into isnt quite right + the weight of the resistance im met with is greater?

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

• 1 month later...

I have a Mitsibushi Outland 69 reg - automatic transmission. I know nothing about cars, and only passed my test in December... We went for this as we needed the 7 seats with 4 weans and a dug, and had 360 camera, which was really appealing for a new driver with not used to driving such a big car.

The past few times I have been out, it feels like it's going to stall sometimes when I stop at the lights etc. I've noticed that the Rev display shoots down from 1 to 0 when this happens. It only does this sometimes. The car goes fine again when I accelerate.

The Mrs thinks it's an eco thing, I think otherwise as why doesn't it do it everytime the car is idle.

Am I going to look like a right tosser or do I have a valid concern here...

5 minutes ago, Tam M said:

I have a Mitsibushi Outland 69 reg - automatic transmission. I know nothing about cars, and only passed my test in December... We went for this as we needed the 7 seats with 4 weans and a dug, and had 360 camera, which was really appealing for a new driver with not used to driving such a big car.

The past few times I have been out, it feels like it's going to stall sometimes when I stop at the lights etc. I've noticed that the Rev display shoots down from 1 to 0 when this happens. It only does this sometimes. The car goes fine again when I accelerate.

The Mrs thinks it's an eco thing, I think otherwise as why doesn't it do it everytime the car is idle.

I fear that ship may have sailed.

8 minutes ago, Tam M said:

Is it only when you put the handbrake on? Sounds like an eco thing anyway.

Is it mentioned in the owners handbook or is there an owners forum for advice?