Car advice

1 hour ago, killiepiemuncher said:

It’s called Magnetic Tech Grey Matte, only downside is it’s a £1860 extra.

Yeah, there’s matte blue as well but went for one called Graphene. It’s a sort of undercoat grey metallic. Should get it April or May. 

I've got a plug-in hybrid car on order and wanting to get a fast charger installed at home (especially before the £350 OLEV grant runs out at the end of March). Has anyone any recommendations on which charger to get or installer to use?

Edited by rambunctious

1 hour ago, rambunctious said:

I've got a plug-in hybrid car on order and wanting to get a fast charger installed at home (especially before the £350 OLEV grant runs out at the end of March). Has anyone any recommendations on which charger to get or installer to use?

I have an Ohme for my electric car and it works perfectly every time.  Can also deal with different electric tarrifs to ensure you charge at the cheapest time.  Some cars have this ability built in but not all of them.

The other thing to look at is where your power is coming from, certain chargers are able to handle solar charging which is the cheapest of the lot.  I would look at Zappi and Ohme and stay away from Project EV which are the cheapest for a reason.

Also remember that you must have suitable off-street parking to qualify for the grants.

On 18/01/2022 at 11:50, alta-pete said:

That's you been through a Mondeo and a Skoda in, what, a year and you're now onto your third? Have you maybe thought about a Humvee?

Three days, three fucking days. It'll be towed back to garage tomorrow.

We’ve had a Cupra Leon Estate Hybrid since last summer. Mainly the other half driving it and with it set up on Octopus Go charging at 5p per kwh during the night she can get to work and back for about 50p which is pretty good.

The car itself is nice, a similar spec VW or Audi would be considerably more $$$ too. Also I think I've only seen one other car like it in about a year since we initially ordered it which I quite like. The Formentors do seem to be a bit more popular but I guess thats just because everyone seems to be into SUVs just now. 

Edited by wellfan09

1 hour ago, wellfan09 said:

We’ve had a Cupra Leon Estate Hybrid since last summer. Mainly the other half driving it and with it set up on Octopus Go charging at 5p per kwh during the night she can get to work and back for about 50p which is pretty good.

The car itself is nice, a similar spec VW or Audi would be considerably more $$$ too. Also I think I've only seen one other car like it in about a year since we initially ordered it which I quite like. The Formentors do seem to be a bit more popular but I guess thats just because everyone seems to be into SUVs just now. 

What is your kWh charge outside of the 5p?  The last time I looked at this, it was cheaper to charge on a normal rate than use Go.  Obviously this depends on your usage profile.

I also notice that the rate has jumped 50% to 7.5p/kWh 

On 19/01/2022 at 20:55, Andy Dufresne said:

My wife's car insurance renewal from AXA £246

Esure for the same terms £138

I was trying to get a hold of Sainsburys about my insurance yesterday

Upon searching for them on Twitter (to DM) I seen a guy saying Sainsburys were £700 odd for his insurance. Admiral were £2700.

Tough choice there. 

Edit : to add photo

Edited by Mr. Alli

10 hours ago, strichener said:

What is your kWh charge outside of the 5p?  The last time I looked at this, it was cheaper to charge on a normal rate than use Go.  Obviously this depends on your usage profile.

I also notice that the rate has jumped 50% to 7.5p/kWh 

Think its about 16p on the Go tariff, been with Octopus for a few years, was about 14p my tariff before this one I think.

Going to be big changes come April time so no idea what it will be up to then. 

On 20/01/2022 at 16:55, pub car king said:

2 grand for fucking paint.

Some of the extras/upgrades are mental prices. 

I bought a second hand car recently. The satnav/entertainment panel has a touchscreen which is a non-standard feature, which I didn't know when I was test driving the car. When I bought it I got handed a sheet of the optional extras that the original owner had paid to have included in the car, which included the touchscreen - it cost the original owner just over a grand. :lol:

A grand to spare the indignity of pressing a couple of extra buttons. 

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

A grand to spare the indignity of pressing a couple of extra buttons. 

The ironic thing being that whilst moving, buttons are far easier to operate. 

Starting to think about a new car.

Had a Dacia Duster for 3 and a half years now, easily the best car I've ever had. Never had a problem with it. In 2019 when my wife was driving, someone went into the back of it. Caused £3k damage to the other car and zero to the Duster. Can barely see where the impact was. 

But...3 and a half years. Time to maybe think about moving on. What worries me is I made this same mistake in 2000, selling my fantastic Vauxhall Cavalier and buying a Ford Orion that was utter garbage. 

23 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Had a Dacia Duster for 3 and a half years now, easily the best car I've ever had. Never had a problem with it. In 2019 when my wife was driving, someone went into the back of it. Caused £3k damage to the other car and zero to the Duster. Can barely see where the impact was. 

But...3 and a half years. Time to maybe think about moving on. What worries me is I made this same mistake in 2000, selling my fantastic Vauxhall Cavalier and buying a Ford Orion that was utter garbage. 

A new Duster? Or a Sandero? Incredible value and decent lease deals too. Easier said than done getting new cars right now as some lead-times are horrendous. 

51 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Talk to the dealer (likely Arnold Clark (I know)) - ma maw was offered an unbelievable deal to trade in her 3 1/2 year old Sandero for a new one. Something like £3.5k to switch into a new one. A combo of inflated 2nd hand prices on the one hand and dealers needing to shift new stock on the other. 

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

A new Duster? Or a Sandero? Incredible value and decent lease deals too. Easier said than done getting new cars right now as some lead-times are horrendous. 

Duster. I need the boot space. 

Cannot fit a decent sized cadaver in the Sandero

10 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Duster. I need the boot space. 

Cannot fit a decent sized cadaver in the Sandero

Get a Stepway. Big things do fit in its boot and the higher ground clearance is useful when up country lanes in the dark. Do not ask me how I know this. 

Edited by alta-pete