Car advice

2 minutes ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

It's not huge, i've gone from 26-27 mpg to 24-25 mpg without actually changing my driving style that I've noticed.  

it’s not to bad they did say when It was released they could be a drop in fuel mpg think it was something like 1% or something like that ,at that difference a service or blowing the tyres up could make that  kinda difference, controversially I’ve always used super unleaded in the cars and vpower diesel in the vans but most people believe it’s snake oil and not worth the money. 

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Who knows that kind of thing? I put petrol in after the light comes on. If it comes back on I put more in.

Haha a pet hate of mine ,letting it run low like that you get all the shite in the tank getting used, even worse as e10 is liable for more condensation there should now be more water in the petrol tank Aswell .

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It still goes.

27 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

I’m with you on this Sarge. Ridiculous.

Yeh it will still go obviously, if anyone has seen the inside of some especially diesel tanks that are high mileage or old it’s not summit you would want sucked up (insert standard gif here etc ) even though the filter will get most of the dirt and  water ,it may be different if you lease a car and don’t care but as I don’t and have two vans for work why wouldn’t you fill up slightly earlier to save that  chance especially when 2019/2020 merc sprinter vans are still coming in at 30/35 k each,same as services and oil/filter changes, I’ve had vans that have said 20/21 k oil change but as it’s my own vans and need it for work il do it at half that and easily ran vans into space rocket territory. But I did describe it as a pet hate 😁

3 minutes ago, Arthur daley said:

Yeh it will still go obviously, if anyone has seen the inside of some especially diesel tanks that are high mileage or old it’s not summit you would want sucked up (insert standard gif here etc ) even though the filter will get most of the dirt and  water ,it may be different if you lease a car and don’t care but as I don’t and have two vans for work why wouldn’t you fill up slightly earlier to save that  chance especially when 2019/2020 merc sprinter vans are still coming in at 30/35 k each,same as services and oil/filter changes, I’ve had vans that have said 20/21 k oil change but as it’s my own vans and need it for work il do it at half that and easily ran vans into space rocket territory. But I did describe it as a pet hate 😁

My pet hate is sentences which are too long.

17 minutes ago, mathematics said:

My pet hate is sentences which are too long.

There’s a sign over the road between Edinburgh and the new bridge. It often has safety messages that are almost Rowling-esque in their length and ramblyness. These are signs you pass at 50mph that take a good seven or eight seconds to read. By the time you’ve finish being told not to drive whilst tired as it’s selfish and can impact on others’ lives and cause accidents and make your loved ones upset you could have ploughed into a line of traffic.

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

There’s a sign over the road between Edinburgh and the new bridge. It often has safety messages that are almost Rowling-esque in their length and ramblyness. These are signs you pass at 50mph that take a good seven or eight seconds to read. By the time you’ve finish being told not to drive whilst tired as it’s selfish and can impact on others’ lives and cause accidents and make your loved ones upset you could have ploughed into a line of traffic.

You get them that length in Wales, first in Welsh then in English below, usually telling you to beware of falling rocks and the like. A pictograph would do just as well.

42 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You get them that length in Wales, first in Welsh then in English below, usually telling you to beware of falling rocks and the like. A pictograph would do just as well.

I like the same sign when it has a message that says “sign not in use”. That message is quite a philosophical puzzler.

7 minutes ago, philpy said:

I've got a 59 plate altea, and sometimes when I park up and switch the engine off, the cooling fan comes on. All fluids are always topped up, so why could this be happening??

Is it only for a few min it happens ? If so normal ,the coolant is not cooling the engine as the car is off so the fan comes on .

Surely the crap at the bottom of the tank is only an issue if you never let it run low? If you let it run low every time, then it’ll just flow through in dribs and drabs and be picked up by the filter, would it not? I’d have thought there would only be issues of you never let it run low, and allow loads of shite to build up at the bottom of the tank, and then when you do run it low it can’t cope. 

53 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Surely the crap at the bottom of the tank is only an issue if you never let it run low? If you let it run low every time, then it’ll just flow through in dribs and drabs and be picked up by the filter, would it not? I’d have thought there would only be issues of you never let it run low, and allow loads of shite to build up at the bottom of the tank, and then when you do run it low it can’t cope. 

Possibly but you would need to run it low every time ,which could put more stress on the fuel pump never mind containment’s could still get potentially  threw or block the filter , as I said before maybe not a problem if ur leasing it and not caring , it’s something that could potentially save you some money  in repairs for filling up ten litres or so earlier in a normal size car I would say it’s worth it . 

2 hours ago, Arthur daley said:

Possibly but you would need to run it low every time ,which could put more stress on the fuel pump never mind containment’s could still get potentially  threw or block the filter , as I said before maybe not a problem if ur leasing it and not caring , it’s something that could potentially save you some money  in repairs for filling up ten litres or so earlier in a normal size car I would say it’s worth it . 

Perhaps we could arranging some mindfulness sessions for the fuel pumps?

15 hours ago, philpy said:

I've got a 59 plate altea, and sometimes when I park up and switch the engine off, the cooling fan comes on. All fluids are always topped up, so why could this be happening??

Is it diesel? Could be doing a forced dpf re-gen. Basically, your soot filter’s getting clogged. Take for a run along the A1 in 3rd gear and that’ll clear it.