Car advice

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

We have a customer who bought a Skoda Fabia for £9k last year, sold it to us a few months ago for the same price as he wanted an automatic. Webuyanycar now offering £11k for it...

I traded my fabia in, it was a shite car to drive and uncomfortable. They had it on at 1750 more than I paid in January.

Just now, RH33 said:

I traded my fabia in, it was a shite car to drive and uncomfortable. They had it on at 1750 more than I paid in January.

Prices are crazy, no sign of slowing down either. Being driven by Webuyany car.

They own all the major auctions in the UK now, and charge at least £500 for garages, per car, bought from the auctions. Plus an online fee of around £200, which has been enforced as they've shut down the actual auction sites since last year. They seem to have realised they can pretty much set the prices as used car garages only get vehicles from them or from trade in, if webuyanycar overpay for every trade in then garages are forced to go to the auction and prices naturally go too high, which gets them their money back via the fees. They have 100k+ cars every week, which at least 10% of that cars worth over £50k, which they charge around £1500 fees to buy.

I've no idea why they were allowed to purchase the auctions tbh, its no longer a fair marketplace.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Prices are crazy, no sign of slowing down either. Being driven by Webuyany car.

They own all the major auctions in the UK now, and charge at least £500 for garages, per car, bought from the auctions. Plus an online fee of around £200, which has been enforced as they've shut down the actual auction sites since last year. They seem to have realised they can pretty much set the prices as used car garages only get vehicles from them or from trade in, if webuyanycar overpay for every trade in then garages are forced to go to the auction and prices naturally go too high, which gets them their money back via the fees. They have 100k+ cars every week, which at least 10% of that cars worth over £50k, which they charge around £1500 fees to buy.

I've no idea why they were allowed to purchase the auctions tbh, its no longer a fair marketplace.

I think I got an ok deal on the focus I bought, in part as it was the old body shape.

I was going to flip cars next summer as fabia was always stop gap post epic Mondeo failure but could pay dad rest owed him and put couple grand to new one way market was. 

Spend about three months deciding what to buy and the fabia holding price. 

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

They own all the major auctions in the UK now, and charge at least £500 for garages, per car, bought from the auctions. Plus an online fee of around £200, which has been enforced as they've shut down the actual auction sites since last year. ...........

....... I've no idea why they were allowed to purchase the auctions tbh, its no longer a fair marketplace.

There's a BCA ( British Car Auctions ) place , about 10 miles from me.  I've popped in there occasionally for years to check out what's going through.

Never bid on anything.

What with seller fees, and fees for the buyer too, I've never considered that as a fair marketplace.

'Taking the Michael' would be a better description.

Edited by beefybake

9 hours ago, beefybake said:

There's a BCA ( British Car Auctions ) place , about 10 miles from me.  I've popped in there occasionally for years to check out what's going through.

Never bid on anything.

What with seller fees, and fees for the buyer too, I've never considered that as a fair marketplace.

'Taking the Michael' would be a better description.

Yeah webuyanycar own BCA now.

After a few weeks of looking I’ve decided I’m going to be carless for the first time in my adult life, for a while anyway. I’ve never seen a second hand car market like it. Surely it can’t last…

13 minutes ago, Lex said:

After a few weeks of looking I’ve decided I’m going to be carless for the first time in my adult life, for a while anyway. I’ve never seen a second hand car market like it. Surely it can’t last…

Just went on Webuyanycar to find out what my 2012 Nissan Note is worth, with no intention of selling. £4800 :lol: Paid £7000 in 2015. They'd no doubt find something wrong with it to drop the offer though.

11 hours ago, Lex said:

It's absolutely mental. My wife bought a 66 plate Mini Cooper D in July 2019 with 21000 miles on the clock for £8600. Looking today for the same car on the same 66 plate with mileage of c35000 and there is nothing under £9000 on Autotrader - with most examples being a good bit higher. It can't go on and I'm surprised anyone who isn't completely desperate would even contemplate going into this market. I bought my car for under £22k 7 months ago and the same car is now showing at a starting point of around £28k. Crazy stuff. 

17 hours ago, Lex said:

Anyone know what the new car market is like right now? Generally a sign of the economy going tits up if new car sales fall.

Used market seems to be the same here. One of the local well known chains usually has a couple of hundred cars outside at any given time. When I drove past the other day there must have been a couple of dozen at most.

4 hours ago, Ross. said:

Anyone know what the new car market is like right now? Generally a sign of the economy going tits up if new car sales fall.

The semiconductor shortage means sales probably down 10% on last year and maybe 50% down on 2017. If you ask VW for one of their fast new Golfs it’s maybe an 8 month wait so that’s part of the reason for the used price hike.

The semiconductor shortage means sales probably down 10% on last year and maybe 50% down on 2017. If you ask VW for one of their fast new Golfs it’s maybe an 8 month wait so that’s part of the reason for the used price hike.
Bosses at the work said that VW have over 500 people waiting on new vans and it'll take 12 months + to get anything.

11 hours ago, Peter Grant said:

Makes sense. Not quite the forewarning of doom that it would usually be then.

I’m still considering getting something a bit bigger, will need to put it off until after we move house. Just looking at prices, folk are asking for about 3 grand more than I paid for my current motor, despite it being 18 months older and having 30k km more on the clock than when I bought it. Nuts.

The wife's I.6 diesel Focus failed the NCT today due to "smoke".
She rarely drives it hard so I'm hopeful am Italian Tuneup will help, but if not, how do we fix this?

Drive it hard to unclog the diesel particulate filter? High revs for a decent distance to burn it off.