Car advice

22 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Lads, another problem for you to solve. For the last few months any time I try to put full beams on it takes about 5 attempts, the last few days they wont go on at all. Today as soon as I put the engine on the headlights are on despite them being on the off setting. They go off after about 10 mins or so. Any idea what's causing this? 

My car gets its mot in a few weeks so I'll persevere until then but was wondering if it's a costly fix

Are the headlights and full beams controlled by the same stalk or is the headlights operated separately by a dial beside the steering wheel ? 
If there controlled by the same indicator Stalk  might be worth having a look at it ,as I’ve had similar things before on vans I’ve ran into the ground and replacing the stalk has solved it,if theres a separate dial for the headlights probably won’t be that and best to ignore the above suggestion. 

2 hours ago, Arthur daley said:

Are the headlights and full beams controlled by the same stalk or is the headlights operated separately by a dial beside the steering wheel ? 
If there controlled by the same indicator Stalk  might be worth having a look at it ,as I’ve had similar things before on vans I’ve ran into the ground and replacing the stalk has solved it,if theres a separate dial for the headlights probably won’t be that and best to ignore the above suggestion. 

Aye it's on a stalk. Full beams wont work at all now, lights randomly going on when I indicate or just when I switch the engine on. Definitely think you're right with it being a problem with the stalk. How much did you pay for replacing it? 

5 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Aye it's on a stalk. Full beams wont work at all now, lights randomly going on when I indicate or just when I switch the engine on. Definitely think you're right with it being a problem with the stalk. How much did you pay for replacing it? 

I have done it myself in a few different vans,just bought the part on eBay for like 20 bucks (not an original part mind ) they will be a few torex screws around the casing where the steering wheel and indicator stalk come out of ,unscrew them take the casing off and the stalk will clip out and there’s a plug on the end just swap them over and put the casing back on, a garage would be able to check if that was the problem but would no doubt get the part from the dealership plus there labour to fit etc could become a dear day out ,might not be but could be a cheap fix to try urself ,and if it’s not that u  could probably return the part to eBay 

YouTube is always a good guide Aswell 

48 minutes ago, Arthur daley said:

I have done it myself in a few different vans,just bought the part on eBay for like 20 bucks (not an original part mind ) they will be a few torex screws around the casing where the steering wheel and indicator stalk come out of ,unscrew them take the casing off and the stalk will clip out and there’s a plug on the end just swap them over and put the casing back on, a garage would be able to check if that was the problem but would no doubt get the part from the dealership plus there labour to fit etc could become a dear day out ,might not be but could be a cheap fix to try urself ,and if it’s not that u  could probably return the part to eBay 

YouTube is always a good guide Aswell 

I'm not the best with fixing things so I'll probably take it to the local garage rather than try myself (or a dealership). Hopefully I'll be able to plod along for a fortnight before the mot is up

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I'm not the best with fixing things so I'll probably take it to the local garage rather than try myself (or a dealership). Hopefully I'll be able to plod along for a fortnight before the mot is up

Would defo avoid a dealership if it’s a older car if am honest 

Everything is mental just now. Bikes, cars, tv's, sweets.........

Sold my old camper van for £4k 6 weeks back. Couldn't believe it. Was expecting it to sell around the £2.5k mark but it just kept on going and going. People have gone mental. It'll settle down. It'll have to. 

13 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Before you do I'd try and find someone replacing the stalk on a similar car on youtube as Arthur said. Pretty clueless myself and thought replacing the rear light assembly on my car would be beyond me. Turned out it was just unplugging the old one and plugging the new one in, no fancy tools needed other than a screwdriver. Saved a fortune.

Edited by welshbairn

Looking at getting an estate for practicality and economy. Downsizing from an L200 which is costing me a ton on everything... 

What are the general opinions on buying from folk like Arnold Clark and Peter Vardy etc? Looking at 2015/16/17 age models with as low a mileage i can get. Something like an Octavia or Insignia etc.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

2 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Looking at getting an estate for practicality and economy. Downsizing from an L200 which is costing me a ton on everything... 

What are the general opinions on buying from folk like Arnold Clark and Peter Vardy etc? Looking at 2015/16/17 age models with as low a mileage i can get. Something like an Octavia or Insignia etc.

Prices just now are crazy,i bought a 19 plate Mokka X 1.6CDTI from Evans Halshaw for £10767 in May and had a hassle free deal.Mind you i had no trade in and was paying cash so no haggling.

1 hour ago, keithgy said:

Prices just now are crazy,i bought a 19 plate Mokka X 1.6CDTI from Evans Halshaw for £10767 in May and had a hassle free deal.Mind you i had no trade in and was paying cash so no haggling.

Yeah its good at the moment which is whats prompted my search! I seen a 2 litre Passat 16 plate for £9 grand. Had done about 70k miles though, seemed alot to me but I'm guessing it was a company car / rep car etc. 

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Before you do I'd try and find someone replacing the stalk on a similar car on youtube as Arthur said. Pretty clueless myself and thought replacing the rear light assembly on my car would be beyond me. Turned out it was just unplugging the old one and plugging the new one in, no fancy tools needed other than a screwdriver. Saved a fortune.

Cheers, I'll take a look on YouTube. It's a 16 year old clio so I reckon it wont be too technical but knowing me I'd make an arse of it and end up costing me more to fix 

2 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Yeah its good at the moment which is whats prompted my search! I seen a 2 litre Passat 16 plate for £9 grand. Had done about 70k miles though, seemed alot to me but I'm guessing it was a company car / rep car etc. 

The average miles on a 16 plate car will be about 60k so not the end of the world,as long as it has a FSH

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Cheers, I'll take a look on YouTube. It's a 16 year old clio so I reckon it wont be too technical but knowing me I'd make an arse of it and end up costing me more to fix 

Good luck. 

French car + Electrical issues = Drive it through the biggest puddle you can find tomorrow morning, take the insurance money, and run.

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

You could even just undo the screws around  the casing usually held on by like five screws underneath the ignition switch, and u will be able to see what’s involved when it’s off ,if it’s looks to complicated after that  casing back on five screws tightened no damage done and if it looks easy enough can order the part and spend the money saved on booze and hookers 

54 minutes ago, keithgy said:

The average miles on a 16 plate car will be about 60k so not the end of the world,as long as it has a FSH

It's done 100k. Was wanting to get it to about 120k at least 

53 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Good luck. 

French car + Electrical issues = Drive it through the biggest puddle you can find tomorrow morning, take the insurance money, and run.

Dont say that. I love this car 😂