Car advice

Locking wheel nuts are the single most infuriating, utterly fucking pointless, things in existence.
Almost, I have a renault so you might know where this is going.. , the wheel nuts are standard but it comes with covers and that is screwed in with a special nut and you get this key for it.
Except the nut is metal and the key is plastic.

Part of the NCT in Ireland is they need to see the bolts on your wheels, they will not remove caps themselves.

My key disintegrated trying to get the nut of the cap off and I had to use a chisel in each bolt to get a flat head in to take the things off.

So yes, locking wheel nuts are fucking pointless but giving you a plastic key to open a metal bolt is bat shit stupidity that I can only think that someone lacked the crayons that day to explain to the designer just how fucking stupid an idea that was

21 hours ago, keithgy said:

I pulled out of a deal to buy an Insignia  2019 from Arnold Clark and they have put the car back up for sale at £900 more than i had agreed to pay.

24 minutes ago, killiepiemuncher said:

So you were getting a good deal and didn’t realise.

Or they’ve bumped up the price by £900 so they can offer a “special discount” to the next sucker that comes along. Obviously they’d have to check it with their manager first.😜

10 hours ago, weirdcal said:

Almost, I have a renault so you might know where this is going.. , the wheel nuts are standard but it comes with covers and that is screwed in with a special nut and you get this key for it.
Except the nut is metal and the key is plastic.

Part of the NCT in Ireland is they need to see the bolts on your wheels, they will not remove caps themselves.

My key disintegrated trying to get the nut of the cap off and I had to use a chisel in each bolt to get a flat head in to take the things off.

So yes, locking wheel nuts are fucking pointless but giving you a plastic key to open a metal bolt is bat shit stupidity that I can only think that someone lacked the crayons that day to explain to the designer just how fucking stupid an idea that was

Madness. Mine is a Renault but a 16 year old one without all the mod cons 😂

The kwik fit I'm going to is a bit out of the way, any idea how long it would take to change the 2 tyres? 

Madness. Mine is a Renault but a 16 year old one without all the mod cons [emoji23]
The kwik fit I'm going to is a bit out of the way, any idea how long it would take to change the 2 tyres? 
Anything like the polish lads here then your engine will still be warm / ticking, even with buggered nuts.
You getting it balanced or just letting it go as is?

17 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

Anything like the polish lads here then your engine will still be warm / ticking, even with buggered nuts.
You getting it balanced or just letting it go as is?

Iirc I'm sure it said balancing and environmental disposable was included in the price

My 8 year old astra is getting it's mot on Thursday. So far it's a preemptive set of rear pads due the current ones squealing like f**k, 2 new rear springs due to one being snapped and an oil change. 

I've also still got a knocking on the front at low speeds which I'm sure will be the shocks as everything else on the suspension looks solid. 

This b*****d needs to be trouble free for the next year to 18 months when it's getting chucked in for something new and very shiny on finance. 

3 hours ago, Pato said:

Just finished a big (for me) job on the car, refilling it with oil, all done and dusted ready to get back on the road and the oil cap thread shears off in my hand as I'm putting it back on the engine...

Tis a bugger that. That's why I now use a 12v oil extractor thingmy (Lidl £14) Saves a lot of the hassle. Did you change your filter too?

6 hours ago, pub car king said:

My 8 year old astra is getting it's mot on Thursday. So far it's a preemptive set of rear pads due the current ones squealing like f**k, 2 new rear springs due to one being snapped and an oil change. 

I've also still got a knocking on the front at low speeds which I'm sure will be the shocks as everything else on the suspension looks solid. 

This b*****d needs to be trouble free for the next year to 18 months when it's getting chucked in for something new and very shiny on finance. 

I'm not well up on the specifics of Astra suspension, but very often worn drop links cause knocking,

and also seem absolutely fine on casual inspection.

11 hours ago, beefybake said:

I'm not well up on the specifics of Astra suspension, but very often worn drop links cause knocking,

and also seem absolutely fine on casual inspection.

They've been changed already, in fairness its a common cheap fix but hasn't done the trick this time. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/06/2021 at 16:15, TAFKAM said:

yeah, had sump off so an oil and filter change was necessary anyway. I just can't believe after all the agony of getting unbelievably seized bolts off of bits of the car just to get to the bit I wanted to fix, it's the one most trivial thing at the end of the job that breaks!

You'd be astounded how often this happens.

Doing a clutch the other day on a Megane.

Took me as long to get one driveshaft out (seized into hub, and seized into gearbox, couldn't remove gearbox with driveshaft in place due to stupid fucking design of subframe) as the rest of the job combined.

Sort of think this is the best thread for this - reckon ive seen about 3 write offs in the last half an hour due to torrential rain (worst at kelvindale road, lochburn road too) from motors chancing it through the water. At the tunnel at the big asda i think i saw a big bmw stuck right in it or at least some kinda suv, water was almost up to the windows! 😬

Afaik if too much goes into the air intake underneath it destroys the engine.  Picked my way back but have heard enough horror stories not to chance it where it looked too deep.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Got an oil change to do on my motor. Got the engine undertray off no problem but the sump plug will not move and has started to round off. Have ordered an oil extraction pump so hopefully it will do the job.

Key card not detected in renault, no spare and have been jimmying the card with a knife to get it detected. 180 at least to replace.
In case it's never been mentioned before, do not buy a Renault, nothing but pain, misery and more pain

On 08/07/2021 at 15:08, weirdcal said:

Key card not detected in renault, no spare and have been jimmying the card with a knife to get it detected. 180 at least to replace.
In case it's never been mentioned before, do not buy a Renault, nothing but pain, misery and more pain

I said that after the first one I had. Bought another a few years later, all it did was reinforce that view. Stupid mistake.