Car advice

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

Tracy Chapman, if her story is to be believed, had a 'fast' car. 

You see its this kind of ill judged, poorly thought through post that spreads misinformation and creates confusion.

Tracy didn't have a car. Her meight did and she wanted to jump in it to get away from her alky old boy.

Or something.

Just now, Empty It said:
11 minutes ago, TheScarf said:
Isn't [mention=45470]RandomGuy.[/mention]a mechanic?

There is a well used car advice thread that he posts in so quite possibly

I'm sure I've seen him say he works in a garage.

4 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I need oil, power steering fluid and coolant.

Can you just buy any type and pour it right in?  

I topped up the oil yesterday but is still way below maximum. The other two are low, do you just buy whatever and chuck it straight in there?

it feels like i'm potentially being meme'd from some direction or other, but i unironically had a little google regarding this pretty recently to check what the "best" oil to put in was/pricing it, first time topping up the new motor.

it was either 5W-30 or 5W-40, something like that. car hasnt exploded since i put about 500ml into it anyway. idk if its still on but the Tesco near me seemed to have really good clubcard prices on 2L of oil so you might not even have to go too far for it, think was about £8 for a 2L bottle, online prices I saw were generally around double that. the  stuff i got also handily had labels telling you what model cars they go in, would take a punt that VW/Audi/Seat generally are interchangeable as are a lot of the GM or group PSA engines but would just read the front and go from there tbh.

mind and check your indicator fluid levels while you're at it, especially if you've a BMW or Audi, they're notorious for having common faults/leaks with the stuff.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

5 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I need oil, power steering fluid and coolant.

Can you just buy any type and pour it right in?  

I topped up the oil yesterday but is still way below maximum. The other two are low, do you just buy whatever and chuck it straight in there?

... and lo and behold im now bombarded with ads for euro car parts on p&b. Without wanting to go full Detournement a part of me wonders if that was your end game here...

11 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

... and lo and behold im now bombarded with ads for euro car parts on p&b. Without wanting to go full Detournement a part of me wonders if that was your end game here...

Pay your £1 per month then. 

Spotted the new Pug 208 GTi up in the supermarket car park earlier.  More than a passing resemblance to the classic 205 
1-peugeot-e-208-gti-render-2020-tracking-side.jpg.e1e384ad98d99f86bbb0bbb67075e9e3.jpg
YfEbmPynTfyWOVWlS8_vEg.jpeg.1dfcbe8fc81993ff772e7e8dc98e6f09.jpeg
Wonder how long it is before car companies re-release the retro hot hatches like the 205 GTI and the Renault 5 GT Turbo. I for one am all for it aslong as they dont butcher the execution (which they almost certainly would).