Car advice

I'd get it...... What happens if you crash it and owe more than the insurance give you (even after haggling) or even if they clear the finance where does your deposit for the next motor come from. Make sure you get Return to Invoice Gap, obviously, and have a look around; don't get it from the dealership!!

Thanks. 

8 hours ago, mac.i said:

I'd get it...... What happens if you crash it and owe more than the insurance give you (even after haggling) or even if they clear the finance where does your deposit for the next motor come from. Make sure you get Return to Invoice Gap, obviously, and have a look around; don't get it from the dealership!!

^^^ this. Gap Insurance is a fairly binary thing so nuanced customer service isn’t really an issue. Tell the dealership you’ll get it elsewhere and they’ll likely price match it for you. For Mrs a-p’s car they wanted £375, GAP-123 (supposedly the market leader) wanted £170. Dealer matched it without further discussion or haggling but just shows you their margins if you’re at all unprepared!  

21 hours ago, mac.i said:

We use a company called ALA and they are brilliant,my mate never had GAP insurance when he bought his Evo FQ300 and crashed it within 9 months of buying it new.He was 10k in the hole to his finance company.

Anyway i was looking at car tonight on a well known car dealer wedsite(Peter Vardy) and they want for me to buy a car from them and £149 Admin and a deep clean of the car fee £19.99.🤪

Edited by keithgy

Looking at re-doing my oil sump gasket as I have a leak but jesus the Haynes manual is sending me all over the place, disconnecting drive belts, AC compressors, torque rods before I even get to getting the sump off. Anyone attempted a DIY? Is this one of those jobs where it's better for my sanity to just pay a mechanic to do it?
Depends what car, I'm sure my car (mk1 mx5) the engine has to actually be removed from the car.

On 27/04/2021 at 10:48, Funky Nosejob said:

I’m buying a 70 plate ex-demo car on a 4 year PCP deal at about 85% of its list price as new. 
Should I bother with GAP insurance?

Hummed and hawed for a bit before caving and getting the Invoice GAP cover from gapinsurance.co.uk.

Cost £265 for 4 years, compared to the £449 the dealer was quoting.

Thanks to all for your advice.

More of a PTTGOYN I suppose, but insurance. Renewal is due in 2 weeks for both cars, Admiral come through with a handy auto renewal price of £665. Obviously renewals are silly prices so I go on to compare the market, and one of the cheapest is Aviva, who also offer multicar. 

I go to Aviva directly for a multicar quote as comparethemarket didn't seem to offer that, and they come in at a whopping £865 for both, whereas individual quotes for the 2 cars (both with Aviva) combined is around £500. 

The 2 cars are now insured - 1 with Aviva, 1 with Churchill, as the total cost was around £440. 

I go to cancel the autorenewal with admiral and magically they can knock £115 off the renewal price. Apparently the price was the best they could do at the time with the information they had on me, yet managed to chop nearly 20% off the renewal price with no additional information. Insurance companies are robbing b*****ds. 

More of a PTTGOYN I suppose, but insurance. Renewal is due in 2 weeks for both cars, Admiral come through with a handy auto renewal price of £665. Obviously renewals are silly prices so I go on to compare the market, and one of the cheapest is Aviva, who also offer multicar. 
I go to Aviva directly for a multicar quote as comparethemarket didn't seem to offer that, and they come in at a whopping £865 for both, whereas individual quotes for the 2 cars (both with Aviva) combined is around £500. 
The 2 cars are now insured - 1 with Aviva, 1 with Churchill, as the total cost was around £440. 
I go to cancel the autorenewal with admiral and magically they can knock £115 off the renewal price. Apparently the price was the best they could do at the time with the information they had on me, yet managed to chop nearly 20% off the renewal price with no additional information. Insurance companies are robbing b*****ds. 
I purposely don't renew with companies even if they can beat the other lowest price after they've already high balled bunch of robbing c***s.

15 minutes ago, deej said:

On the subject of insurance, I had a ridiculous exchange with Admiral recently.

I found their quote was the best and beat mine through the comparison sites so went ahead and bought it, same nonsense as you cancelling the autorenewal with esure and suddenly them getting a better deal.

Everything processed in it's normal way and Admiral then sent an email asking for a bit of extra information on employment info etc.

The drop down box on the comparison site didn't give an exact match for my partner so I picked the closest role. In the email, I was able to be a bit more specific with her job title (and couldn't remember what I'd typed in tbh). The end result was a slight difference like 'admin officer' becoming 'admin assistant'.

This girl then phoned me up and started grilling me and told me that the insurance was subjected to a change fee and they'd need to recalculate everything on their end. I kindly explained that I picked the closest title I could see at the time and felt that each term was equally reflective and they they just kept repeating the same question. The girl sounded really flustered and wasn't getting it. Ended up just telling her to go ahead and cancel the policy then had them groveling back to me after a hold and the issue dropped.

Never had to claim from insurance but dread the say having to go through their shite on the phone again.

19 hours ago, Empty It said:
19 hours ago, deej said:

I purposely don't renew with companies even if they can beat the other lowest price after they've already high balled bunch of robbing c***s.

Similarly, I had already bought the new insurance before cancelling with Admiral, fully aware they would beat their own price. Had they been significantly cheaper then I could always cancel the new policies before they started. 

19 hours ago, harry94 said:

On the subject of insurance, I had a ridiculous exchange with Admiral recently.

I found their quote was the best and beat mine through the comparison sites so went ahead and bought it, same nonsense as you cancelling the autorenewal with esure and suddenly them getting a better deal.

Everything processed in it's normal way and Admiral then sent an email asking for a bit of extra information on employment info etc.

The drop down box on the comparison site didn't give an exact match for my partner so I picked the closest role. In the email, I was able to be a bit more specific with her job title (and couldn't remember what I'd typed in tbh). The end result was a slight difference like 'admin officer' becoming 'admin assistant'.

This girl then phoned me up and started grilling me and told me that the insurance was subjected to a change fee and they'd need to recalculate everything on their end. I kindly explained that I picked the closest title I could see at the time and felt that each term was equally reflective and they they just kept repeating the same question. The girl sounded really flustered and wasn't getting it. Ended up just telling her to go ahead and cancel the policy then had them groveling back to me after a hold and the issue dropped.

Never had to claim from insurance but dread the say having to go through their shite on the phone again.

I changed job mid policy, from working in a bank to office based engineering. What difference this made to my car insurance I've no idea, but when I went to notify them the premium jumped up £60. So I closed the page and went about my day. 

5 minutes ago, Pato said:

I've had to claim for insurance once and it was the most bizarre experience:

Me: Hello I'd like to make a claim.

Them: A what?

Me: A claim.

Them: What?

Me: A claim. I'd like to make a claim.

Them: Could you spell it?

Me: Are you taking the pi--- nevermind. C-L-A-I-M

Them: Sorry could you explain what it is you want? I don't understand.

Me: Is this cunto insurance?

Them: Yes.

Me: Right. Someone's broken into my car and I need the door fixed on my insurance.

Them: Ahhhh OK.

I have a similar story involving saying and then in the face of repeated bemused 'what?' escalating to bellowing FIRST. CLASS. RECORDED. DELIVERY.  through the glass at a nonplussed post office clerk one time. I don't think I've got a speech impediment.

Sorry, what was that?

I've had to claim for insurance once and it was the most bizarre experience:
Me: Hello I'd like to make a claim.
Them: A what?
Me: A claim.
Them: What?
Me: A claim. I'd like to make a claim.
Them: Could you spell it?
Me: Are you taking the pi--- nevermind. C-L-A-I-M
Them: Sorry could you explain what it is you want? I don't understand.
Me: Is this cunto insurance?
Them: Yes.
Me: Right. Someone's broken into my car and I need the door fixed on my insurance.
Them: Ahhhh OK.
I have a similar story involving saying and then in the face of repeated bemused 'what?' escalating to bellowing FIRST. CLASS. RECORDED. DELIVERY.  through the glass at a nonplussed post office clerk one time. I don't think I've got a speech impediment.
"Maybe if we pretend to not understand he'll just go away"

Amazingly my renewal price with Admiral this year was pretty competitive and after doing some comparisons remained with Admiral.

Their policy on modifications is pretty good as well, only got charged the £9.50 online admin fee when I put an aftermarket exhaust on my car a few weeks ago. They won't replace it with an aftermarket part but instead revert to standard exhaust but in my case that's fine.

Amazingly my renewal price with Admiral this year was pretty competitive and after doing some comparisons remained with Admiral.

Their policy on modifications is pretty good as well, only got charged the £9.50 online admin fee when I put an aftermarket exhaust on my car a few weeks ago. They won't replace it with an aftermarket part but instead revert to standard exhaust but in my case that's fine.
I've always found if you're going down the route of modifying your car Adrian Flux are the cheapest by some margin.