Car advice

55 minutes ago, deej said:

For someone with very limited mechanical skills, how easy is it to change the oil on your car yourself? And how often should it be done?

Whilst not a simple as it used to be. It's not difficult. 

Two ways to do it. Get under the car and drain the oil from the sump plug. Remember to replace the washer and torque up the plug. You do not want to over torque the sump plug and ruin the thread. You also do not want to be pouring oil in the engine with no sump plug fitted. It happens. 

Next way is to suck the oil out from the dip stick hole. Easier and cleaner if you have the right kit. Plus no messing about with the sump plug. 

Your handbook/haynes manual will tell you correct interval, specification and quantity of oil needed. 

Get the car on level surface and run engine a few minutes to warm up the oil and it'll drain easier. 

Remember to dispose of the oil correctly. Not all recycling centers will take waste oil or at best, will charge a fee. 

19 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Whilst not a simple as it used to be. It's not difficult. 

Two ways to do it. Get under the car and drain the oil from the sump plug. Remember to replace the washer and torque up the plug. You do not want to over torque the sump plug and ruin the thread. You also do not want to be pouring oil in the engine with no sump plug fitted. It happens. 

Next way is to suck the oil out from the dip stick hole. Easier and cleaner if you have the right kit. Plus no messing about with the sump plug. 

Your handbook/haynes manual will tell you correct interval, specification and quantity of oil needed. 

Get the car on level surface and run engine a few minutes to warm up the oil and it'll drain easier. 

Remember to dispose of the oil correctly. Not all recycling centers will take waste oil or at best, will charge a fee. 

I thought you said suck it out?

3 hours ago, deej said:

For someone with very limited mechanical skills, how easy is it to change the oil on your car yourself? And how often should it be done?

Pretty much as said by trackdaybob...

plus..

Before you undo the sump plug, loosen off the oil filler cap on the top of the engine.  The oil will flow out of the sump slightly easier.

Assuming you're also changing the oil filter as well as the oil, typically you'll find the old filter a bas**rd to undo.  

Over lots of years, I've worked my way through a variety of oil filter removal devices. I've found the best to be the 'cup' type. Like a a large

socket that fits over the top of the filter. Usually about £5 - £7.

When you fit the new filter, do what it says on the filter/packet.  Typically it will say something like "... hand tight..". 

Do that, and the next time you change the filter, the old one will come off without exertion.

I never use suction devices to remove the old oil.  Neither do good garages.  The devices don't get all the crap out of the sump.

Just give the car a little run out to warm up the oil, and drain it through the sump.

plus..
Before you undo the sump plug, loosen off the oil filler cap on the top of the engine.  The oil will flow out of the sump slightly easier.
Assuming you're also changing the oil filter as well as the oil, typically you'll find the old filter a bas**rd to undo.  
Over lots of years, I've worked my way through a variety of oil filter removal devices. I've found the best to be the 'cup' type. Like a a large
When you fit the new filter, do what it says on the filter/packet.  Typically it will say something like "... hand tight..". 
Do that, and the next time you change the filter, the old one will come off without exertion.
I never use suction devices to remove the old oil.  Neither do good garages.  The devices don't get all the crap out of the sump.
Just give the car a little run out to warm up the oil, and drain it through the sump.

An old screw driver and a hammer does the job on old filters that are a b*****d to come off.

57 minutes ago, Empty It said:
59 minutes ago, beefybake said:
plus..

An old screw driver and a hammer does the job on old filters that are a b*****d to come off.

But remember it will be full of oil which will pour out of the hole you've made then straight up your sleeve!

25 minutes ago, LiviClyde said:

But remember it will be full of oil which will pour out of the hole you've made then straight up your sleeve!

I assumed you were dead!

On 03/04/2021 at 09:02, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

At what point do you start thinking about replacing your car rather than getting repairs done? I've got a 12 plate Corsa, 60k miles, and sounding from the garage like it needs fairly serious repairs in particular the subframe needing replaced.

Guy is going to call me back next week with a quote for what that would cost, I'm trying to work out the price point at which I say bash on and at what point I'm better off getting a new car. I'm leaning towards getting the repair done if for no other reason than I can't be fucked going through the process of buying another car.

On 03/04/2021 at 09:05, 101 said:

Also keen to know, my 63 plate has 90,000 miles on the clock and never needed anything done to it beyond the normal wear and tear.

Before I went to PCP and changing the car every 3-4 years, I'd change when the car started to need work outwith the service/MOT time. Could not be arsed with the car being in the garage every few months with another few hundred quid being required.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/04/2021 at 13:53, Empty It said:

Rip the heat shield off, needless bit of kit.

Your car fails it's MOT these days if the heat shield around the fuel tank is off, tbf.

26 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

I'm looking to buy a cheap enough runaround but typically these older cars have only one key. Is it expensive to get another key programmed and it is only the dealerships that do it?

Depends how old the car is, I had a 2012 Focus a few years back and a decent locksmith was able to do me a programmed key at 1/3 of the price (£50) compared with what Ford were trying to charge. Ironic thing is I suspect the local Ford garage may well have got their keys done by the same guy then just punted the key on with a huge mark up.

Bought an Astra last week for work use. 62 plate. Radio console has a phone button, steering wheel has controls for operating a phone. Radio has no Bluetooth facility so phone has no connection! [emoji848]
What spec do you have? I had a 61 plate Astra Excite (least exciting car I've owned) a few years ago. It had Bluetooth but for phone calls only. It didnt let you play music or anything through it if that's what you mean?

8 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
58 minutes ago, supermik said:
Bought an Astra last week for work use. 62 plate. Radio console has a phone button, steering wheel has controls for operating a phone. Radio has no Bluetooth facility so phone has no connection! emoji848.png

What spec do you have? I had a 61 plate Astra Excite (least exciting car I've owned) a few years ago. It had Bluetooth but for phone calls only. It didnt let you play music or anything through it if that's what you mean?

2.0 cdti estate. It has the CD400 radio fitted. The instructions even show how to connect a phone up to it but when you scroll through the menus, the only thing missing is the phone settings option.

3 hours ago, GTG_03 said:

I'm looking to buy a cheap enough runaround but typically these older cars have only one key. Is it expensive to get another key programmed and it is only the dealerships that do it?

It all depends on the car but most are under £100.

I am going to be selling my DS3 diesel 2014 instead of trading it in and only have one key as well.