Car advice

New car was serviced prior to being delivered to me, but they’ve not reset the service reminder. Looked up how to do it online and there is a YouTube video detailing how, but when I do it, there isn’t the final option to reset like in the video. Infuriating.
Take it back and get them to do it properly?

1 minute ago, jimmy boo said:
47 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:
New car was serviced prior to being delivered to me, but they’ve not reset the service reminder. Looked up how to do it online and there is a YouTube video detailing how, but when I do it, there isn’t the final option to reset like in the video. Infuriating.

Take it back and get them to do it properly?

Bought it from a garage in Norwich. Would be a monumental pain in the arse. Found out how to reset now.

Can't decide between a new i20n or a used i30n, decisions decisions.
Spoiler

image.thumb.png.6f91e54dbf75bcba76df0f1520a188d0.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.44f8a6c82a70482e3b2b8c0187232a1c.png

i20n is just out. Can't say I know much about it but a review went up on Top Gear's site within the last few days which might be worth a look at.

I almost went for an i30n a few months ago but was able to get a better deal on a Megane RS. Have kept an eye on the i30n just out of interest and they seem to hold their value really well. Prefer the look of the "fastback" to the hatchback but that might just be me.

26 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

i20n is just out. Can't say I know much about it but a review went up on Top Gear's site within the last few days which might be worth a look at.

I almost went for an i30n a few months ago but was able to get a better deal on a Megane RS. Have kept an eye on the i30n just out of interest and they seem to hold their value really well. Prefer the look of the "fastback" to the hatchback but that might just be me.

The top gear review is where I first saw it, looks really good obviously the cabin is more modern but some of the functionality is toned down.

I'm the opposite I'm not such a fan of the "fastback". How are you finding the RS?

The top gear review is where I first saw it, looks really good obviously the cabin is more modern but some of the functionality is toned down.
I'm the opposite I'm not such a fan of the "fastback". How are you finding the RS?
The Megane is excellent. Only a 1.8 but absolutely rapid. It's apparently brilliant on a track but I highly doubt I'll ever take it to one and I probably don't have anywhere near enough skill/bravery to push it properly hard on your average B-road. I've also only ever seen 1 other on the road so it feels a bit more "exclusive" than the likes of a Golf R/Gti, Civic Type R, etc.

On 29/03/2021 at 20:23, Ron Aldo said:

I've also only ever seen 1 other on the road so it feels a bit more "exclusive" than the likes of a Golf R/Gti, Civic Type R, etc.

This is a major reason for what car I pick these days 😂

Golf R/GTis are absolutely fucking everywhere, which puts me right off them.

3 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

At what point do you start thinking about replacing your car rather than getting repairs done? I've got a 12 plate Corsa, 60k miles, and sounding from the garage like it needs fairly serious repairs in particular the subframe needing replaced.

Guy is going to call me back next week with a quote for what that would cost, I'm trying to work out the price point at which I say bash on and at what point I'm better off getting a new car. I'm leaning towards getting the repair done if for no other reason than I can't be fucked going through the process of buying another car.

Also keen to know, my 63 plate has 90,000 miles on the clock and never needed anything done to it beyond the normal wear and tear.

Edited by 101

At what point do you start thinking about replacing your car rather than getting repairs done? I've got a 12 plate Corsa, 60k miles, and sounding from the garage like it needs fairly serious repairs in particular the subframe needing replaced.
Guy is going to call me back next week with a quote for what that would cost, I'm trying to work out the price point at which I say bash on and at what point I'm better off getting a new car. I'm leaning towards getting the repair done if for no other reason than I can't be fucked going through the process of buying another car.
Insurance companies will generally write a car off if any repair work exceeds about 60% of the cars value. If your paying out of your own pocket then I'd say it's fair for the threshold to be significantly lower than that. Apologies if its something you've thought of already but I'd probably just try and work out the value of the car and then decide how much you'd be willing to pay against that.

As an example, if I had a car worth £4000 - £5000 but was getting hit with a 4 figure repair bill then I'd probably just cut my losses and get a new car. Depending on if the fault is something which is clearly visible, you could trade it in at a dealership and be long gone before they even realise there's an issue.

2 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Subframe isn't an expensive job. Had mine done a couple of years back, bought it off ebay and the garage fitted it for me.  

Here's a link to the one I bought: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Subframe-Axle-for-Corsa-D-Punto-Grande-Alfa-Romeo-Mito-UK-Models-RHD/163788064848?fits=Model%3ACorsa&hash=item2622878850:g:t7cAAOSw-ZBdNzdk

Might need a subframe brace and some droplinks as well depending on what happens to them when they take it to bits.

What else does it need done?

Edited by UsedToGoToCentralPark

Top tip.

I heard a bit of a rattle on start up. Some investigation revealed the heat sheild for the exhaust was hanging down a bit. I've tied it on to a sticky out thing with a boot lace with a double knot and the problem has resolved.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Top tip.
I heard a bit of a rattle on start up. Some investigation revealed the heat sheild for the exhaust was hanging down a bit. I've tied it on to a sticky out thing with a boot lace with a double knot and the problem has resolved.

I had the same thing happen to me. The thing was rattling so much I thought the exhaust was hanging off. I took it to National the guy pointed out the problem. I asked if it was needed, nope was the reply and off it came. Resolved. FoC.

4 minutes ago, killiepiemuncher said:

I had the same thing happen to me. The thing was rattling so much I thought the exhaust was hanging off. I took it to National the guy pointed out the problem. I asked if it was needed, nope was the reply and off it came. Resolved. FoC.

If the lace breaks, that's my next wheeze.

Front and rear brakes, exhaust and coolant leaks and my heater fan isn't working. Maybe not individually huge jobs but will be a pain in the arse overall.
Best case scenario for the coolant leak would be a leaky radiator as they are a bit rubbish, brakes and exhaust won't be too bad.

The heater fan is another one of those known issues hopefully which could be a DIY job. Does it work on setting 4?

Suppose you could be looking at £800 or so to fix it all up.