Car advice

23 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:
Got the old “your Hyundai is going to go on fire, best get it to the garage” letter year yer day.

Not heard of this. I assume you've to get it to the garage for them to repair at their cost?

Aye. ABS wiring issue on 2015-2021 Tucsons.

The advice was “don’t park your car in a garage”.

lol

Saw it in some Ozzy press in January but is obviously affecting models here as well.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkey

On 13/03/2021 at 10:34, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Aye. ABS wiring issue on 2015-2021 Tucsons.

The advice was “don’t park your car in a garage”.

lol

Saw it in some Ozzy press in January but is obviously affecting models here as well.

Used to enjoy getting these. Only time the car got washed and hovered 

Need bit of advice. At the moment im out a job, I dont have a car and skint. If I get a job soon, I'm looking at getting car.  I have some savings but reluctant to use on a car, possibly I could take £1000 out. What would be the best idea? Take out a bank loan and buy a car, say a £3000 car or finance a car ? Either way its a mugs game. 

Or buy a banger for £1000.

Need bit of advice. At the moment im out a job, I dont have a car and skint. If I get a job soon, I'm looking at getting car.  I have some savings but reluctant to use on a car, possibly I could take £1000 out. What would be the best idea? Take out a bank loan and buy a car, say a £3000 car or finance a car ? Either way its a mugs game. 
Banger 100% buy a £500 car with a years MOT. That's what I done for years and loved some of those bangers.

28 minutes ago, Ekhibee88 said:

In a garage recently picking up my new (not so new now) van. They were punting new Corsas at £99 deposit, £99 per month. No unexpected repair bills etc - your older £1000-£3000 car could end up costing much more to keep it going. 

1 hour ago, Empty It said:
1 hour ago, Ekhibee88 said:

Banger 100% buy a £500 car with a years MOT. That's what I done for years and loved some of those bangers.

Make sure you ask to see the V5 as they now tell you if the car has been an insurance write off on the front of it,if it does then don't dismiss it straight away just gives you a good tool to get money off.My car i have just now was a CAT S and i got it for half the price it was worth on a forecourt as it needed a wing,door and sill after a bump.

3 hours ago, Ekhibee88 said:

Would lean towards buying for £1000 tbh, taking out a loan to make up the difference at that level might leave you in a situation where you have to pay for unexpected leaks etc. to keep the car running anyway, and you'll still have the debt to service. Buying the £1000 from savings without any loans or financing would also mean that you've got an option to maybe maintain the £1000 motor for as long as you can and then maybe loan £2000 for another car once that one dies??

Going off a handy wee car guide I've found and use for inspiration, you could still maybe get an old VW Golf or VW Jetta, the TDI drivetrain on some of 'em is meant to be indestructible and might also not hurt your pocket too badly on fuelling them/road tax either. edit: oh wait does it not go by the age of your car now for the road tax, would need to double check that... might be better just looking at nice small petrol stuff rather than any older diesels?

older ford focus or fiesta's seemingly a bit dodgy if you get an automatic transmission so get a manual if you go for one of those.

Toyota Yaris or Corolla might be an option also, older Civic's are meant to be really tough built too.

Not on the guide I use but a friend of mine does his own car DIY as he's a time served mechanic, got an early 2000's model Audi S3 hatchback for about £1250 that he loves fairly recently so as Empty It says you can potentially strike lucky and get a lot of enjoyment out of a car even at that price.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

If you’re going the banger route, buy privately. If you go through a garage there needs to be a near £1000 mark-up to justify their costs in selling it. And if they’re selling it for £1000, well....

I’m with Shandon Par. If it’s for work you need something utterly dependable. One day’s wage a month goes towards the car payment. If anything goes wrong with your banger, which it will, regularly, you’ll rarely get it back from the garage with it having cost less to fix. And then you’ve got consumables like tyres etc. Financially, the £99 Corsa wins hands down IMO. 

12 hours ago, Shandon Par Decorator said:

In a garage recently picking up my new (not so new now) van. They were punting new Corsas at £99 deposit, £99 per month. No unexpected repair bills etc - your older £1000-£3000 car could end up costing much more to keep it going. 

Yes but they are also Corsa’s, which are Vauxhall’s which in my experience are cheap and not always cheerful.

9 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Going off a handy wee car guide I've found and use for inspiration, you could still maybe get an old VW Golf or VW Jetta, the TDI drivetrain on some of 'em is meant to be indestructible and might also not hurt your pocket too badly on fuelling them/road tax either. edit: oh wait does it not go by the age of your car now for the road tax, would need to double check that... might be better just looking at nice small petrol stuff rather than any older diesels?

Toyota Yaris or Corolla might be an option also, older Civic's are meant to be really tough built too.

Not on the guide I use but a friend of mine does his own car DIY as he's a time served mechanic, got an early 2000's model Audi S3 hatchback for about £1250 that he loves fairly recently so as Empty It says you can potentially strike lucky and get a lot of enjoyment out of a car even at that price.

@Ekhibee88 This post above is good advice IMO. I’d even go as far as to say you’d possibly end up with a better, more reliable and sturdy motor even looking at 10 year old cars from some of the German and Japanese manufacturers. Not to say there will be any issues buying something newer from the likes of Vauxhall or Ford but the difference in build quality is night and day.

The car business is in the midst of seismic change at the moment. 

There is still the used market of haggling for a deal and you take your chances regardless if its a £500 banger ot a 10k family hatch.

New cars are almost like white goods now you buy them new on finance then chuck them in after a time for another one. There's leasing now which is similar to the American model and folk just factor in a car payment a bit like rent or sky TV.

Then there's the electric revolution which will one day kill off what we have now and render our current fuels as some sort of primative steam driven rubbish from the olden days.

In answer to the dilemma a brand new car for 99 quid a month is hard to beat. It will be reliable and if not it will be covered by warranty, it won't need an mot for 3 years and it should only cost you petrol.

That said if you just want to buy one and take your chances that's a chap shoot but I agree a vw tdi engine will last for hundreds of thousands of miles. I had a seat with close to 200k on it and it still pulled like a train. That said the rest of the car was hanging apart because components will wear out. 

12 minutes ago, pub car king said:

New cars are almost like white goods now you buy them new on finance then chuck them in after a time for another one. There's leasing now which is similar to the American model and folk just factor in a car payment a bit like rent or sky TV.

Totally agree. This is very much me.  I'm now on my 3rd Qashqui and basically flipped it every three years accepting that £250 a month was just part of my living expenses. 

However, my mileage is negligible - 4k in an average year. This year I've barely done over 1,000. As a result, I'm moving towards the idea of switching to standard HP finance to pay it off once three years lease is up and running it into ground. 

Totally agree. This is very much me.  I'm now on my 3rd Qashqui and basically flipped it every three years accepting that £250 a month was just part of my living expenses. 
However, my mileage is negligible - 4k in an average year. This year I've barely done over 1,000. As a result, I'm moving towards the idea of switching to standard HP finance to pay it off once three years lease is up and running it into ground. 
I'm coming to the end of my second qashqai lease in June.

I doubt I be doing a 3rd though but only because I have a new job which is 30 odd miles away, so if we end up back in the office full time, the mileage makes a lease really expensive. I was already scheduled to go over my 10k a year before lockdown.

Leasing has worked out really well especially with the maintenance option

I've currently got an 8 uear old astra diesel which I got cheap at the time and it doesn't owe me anything.

Ideally I would like something new(er) in the next year or so. But it will be a question of which avenue I go down. Leasing/pcp, buy it outright or some other unspecified way. Then depending how long I'll keep it what will it run on? I've had diesels for years but it is dying/getting forced out but electric isn't quite there yet. I do a 40 mile commute for work 4 days a week plus I drive from the south of England to Fife a couple of times a year and the range isn't there yet with electric cars.

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

Yes but they are also Corsa’s, which are Vauxhall’s which in my experience are cheap and not always cheerful.

@Ekhibee88 This post above is good advice IMO. I’d even go as far as to say you’d possibly end up with a better, more reliable and sturdy motor even looking at 10 year old cars from some of the German and Japanese manufacturers. Not to say there will be any issues buying something newer from the likes of Vauxhall or Ford but the difference in build quality is night and day.

Best bet then is to ask for an Opel Corsa rather than a Vaxhall one.