Car advice

New car arrived this week, but doesn’t have an owners manual. What sort of weirdo keeps the owners manual of a car they’re selling?
Is it possible the dealership you bought it from hasn't sent it to you?
We had this problem with the wife's new (second hand) car a couple of months ago. Only after badgering Peter Vardy did they find the manual, service book and locking wheel key.

New car arrived this week, but doesn’t have an owners manual. What sort of weirdo keeps the owners manual of a car they’re selling?
Some new cars don't have a hard copy manual. You can access a digital version through the touch screen. Bugger all use if you need the "Trouble shooting the touch screen" chapter.

27 minutes ago, spud131 said:

Is it possible the dealership you bought it from hasn't sent it to you?
We had this problem with the wife's new (second hand) car a couple of months ago. Only after badgering Peter Vardy did they find the manual, service book and locking wheel key.

Phoned up the dealership and they said they didn’t have it. All I’ve got service wise is a folder with the two service invoices that were done. Pretty shoddy, will need to check the locking wheel nut actually.

6 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Phoned up the dealership and they said they didn’t have it. All I’ve got service wise is a folder with the two service invoices that were done. Pretty shoddy, will need to check the locking wheel nut actually.

Tell them you'll just return the car, it's amazing how they manage to find things then. 

Also, I kept the manual from my old car, but only because it was being scrapped and I'd owned it for near 15 years and was very fond of it. Yes I'm aware that still makes me a weirdo. 

2 hours ago, thistledo said:

Tell them you'll just return the car, it's amazing how they manage to find things then. 

Also, I kept the manual from my old car, but only because it was being scrapped and I'd owned it for near 15 years and was very fond of it. Yes I'm aware that still makes me a weirdo. 

Turns out there is an interactive manual on the media system. Only issue is if the media system fails then can’t troubleshoot it with no manual :lol:

Next problem is that the wireless charging doesn’t work. From looking online the only suggestion is it could be the fuse has gone.

4 hours ago, thistledo said:

Why ?

About 15 years ago I bought a 1984 Mercedes 240D diesel for £300, with about 6 months MOT.   6 months later, after completely reliable motoring,

I put the Merc in for an MOT.    Failed on rust, so I scrapped it.  I retained the owners handbook. 

Fast forward to a couple of years ago.  I put the handbook up on eBay.    Sold for £30. 

That's £30 better than a kick in the grillocks.

3 years ago, I bought a 2002 Golf  Mk4 TDI for £395. Come last July, I wanted away from diesels, and due to the infamous tendency for older VAG cars

to have electrical issues, door lock modules, central locking with a mind of its own, ABS problems etc etc...,  I sold it to a recycler for £90 when the MOT expired.

I kept the owners pack, and when I checked on eBay,  the place was awash with Golf Mk4 owners packs. So I listed mine, with the addition of the Haynes

workshop manual.   

Sold the bundle for £15.

That's £15 better than slipping while you're climbing over a fence.

Nuffink weird with any of that... ?

Edited by beefybake

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Turns out there is an interactive manual on the media system. Only issue is if the media system fails then can’t troubleshoot it with no manual :lol:

Next problem is that the wireless charging doesn’t work. From looking online the only suggestion is it could be the fuse has gone.

Is it wireless with an 8 track cassette?eight-track-player-with-david-bowie-chan

Those were the days!

As if my shitty luck isnt bad enough, I went out this morning and noticed some p***k has scrapped and slightly dented the rear passenger door. Its been done by what I presume is a drunk or elderly driver. It's not been done at high speed that's for sure, but enough to cause a fair bit of damage. Any idea how much it would cost for a repaint? I'm not wanting to go through insurance 

23 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Getting a Seat Ibiza tomorrow.  Churchill and AA insurance coming to same price inc breakdown cover.  Can anyone recommend one over the other?

I went with Churchill, backed by greenflag who have the quickest response time as far as I know.

17 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Do green flag not use a network of local garages rather than fleet of own technicians?

They certainly used to. No idea now. 

17 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Ended up with Liverpool Victoria actually, got a slightly cheaper deal through work and they're supposed to be good.

They are. Until renewal time.

I was very impressed with the service during my claim. But even taking that into account, they took the absolute piss come renewal time. I was expecting it to go up. That's a no brainer. And due to their service, I was ready to renew expecting it. But no, they got greedy so I went with the cheapest on the comparison sites. I always look though and at a realistic price, I'd use them again. 

4 hours ago, RH33 said:

I was with LV for a year and then they fair hiked the price! Surprise surprise.

I've used LV for a few years now and although their renewal notice can cause a sharp intake I've always managed a price I'm happy with after a quick phone call. 

6 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

I always shop around at renewal time. 

Any recommendations for breakdown cover, needed a new vehicle quickly so didn't spend time comparing t&cs for different providers. 

Rescuemycar have been really good with my daughter.  They use local garages but the unlimited call outs etc. provide decent value for the £40 quid or so that it costs.

7 hours ago, strichener said:

Rescuemycar have been really good with my daughter.  They use local garages but the unlimited call outs etc. provide decent value for the £40 quid or so that it costs.

Is that nationwide tow? Lot of the insurance add ons were 10 miles.