Car advice

15 minutes ago, Ross. said:

When I bought it this time last year I was only expecting to use it around town when doing the shopping or getting her and the boy to see her family. Done the work commute by train. Obviously, things went a wee bit weird and this is part of the result of that. Was in the office full time for 3/4 months for a bit around the end of the summer which is when I noticed it was causing me a lot of back and leg pain, but now back to 1 day a week in the office, which doesn't seem to bother my body quite as much.

Could be because you only recently passed your test and you're a bit tense. Didn't pass mine till I was getting on a bit and found it knackering when I started, no problem now.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Could be because you only recently passed your test and you're a bit tense. Didn't pass mine till I was getting on a bit and found it knackering when I started, no problem now.

Possible, but for the sake of the next car I buy and the conversations it will bring with the missus, I am blaming the commute and the answer is "Something a bit bigger and more luxurious".

5 hours ago, Ross. said:

Had to get the turbo something or other replaced just before Christmas. New one fitted cost about 500 quid all in(600 CHF in real money). A bit annoying, but a lot cheaper than I expected here.

Still considering buying a camper van. Prices appear to have dropped a couple of grand in the last few months. I guess a lot of people bought them at the beginning of Covid and are now regretting that decision. Will hold off another few months and see if prices fall further.

Now’s the time to buy I’d suggest. Wait a few months and you’ll be into Spring, everyone’s got the same idea and prices firm up. 

Now’s the time to buy I’d suggest. Wait a few months and you’ll be into Spring, everyone’s got the same idea and prices firm up. 
100% agree . First sign of Spring and the prices always go up due to increased demand......add the continued effect of COVID on holiday prices and the only direction for the price is up.

2 hours ago, alta-pete said:

1 hour ago, Deanburn Dave said:
2 hours ago, alta-pete said:

100% agree . First sign of Spring and the prices always go up due to increased demand......add the continued effect of COVID on holiday prices and the only direction for the price is up.

Off to view a flat on Thursday that is in the price range that would leave enough left over to buy a camper also. Will see how it goes and take it from there. After today’s commute home from work I might buy a snow plow instead.

On 12/01/2021 at 20:35, Ross. said:

Off to view a flat on Thursday that is in the price range that would leave enough left over to buy a camper also. Will see how it goes and take it from there. After today’s commute home from work I might buy a snow plow instead.

Golf R. 4wd so good in snow. Very comfy (in comfort mode), loads of space as a family car and ballistic if you want to cut the journey times. A decent used one will have very similar controls to the Polo too (latest one is pretty space-age in terms of the switchgear etc). 

I’m under the impression that if you have to change a tyre on a 4x4 then you have to change all of them or it will f**k the 4x4 system? I have an X-Trail which is a 2WD but with the option to change into 4x4. So it’s not an AWD or permanent 4x4. My question is: I need to change the two front tyres - should I get the two back ones changed as well?

Goodbye GTi, hello Combo. Will need to get a sun visor name strip for the windscreen for me and the dog and a rolled up Daily Star to leave on the dash at all times:

A7719EDF-EBBB-4E8C-8668-E0EBDB4126B2.thumb.jpeg.52597a8b74f8d8ec12bdf779843e8e36.jpeg
^^typical van driver cant park for shite

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

I’m under the impression that if you have to change a tyre on a 4x4 then you have to change all of them or it will f**k the 4x4 system? I have an X-Trail which is a 2WD but with the option to change into 4x4. So it’s not an AWD or permanent 4x4. My question is: I need to change the two front tyres - should I get the two back ones changed as well?

No expert but if it's been driving ok with the front wheels being in an inferior condition to the back wheels, I wouldn't imagine the reverse will do any harm.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Back in the day, this was certainly true for mechanical 4x4's that is where the connection between the wheels was purely mechanical and permanent. Worn tyres causing differing wheel speeds would cause premature wear over a period of time. 

I think nowadays, with lots of electronic trickery interfering with 4x4 systems and certainly if its mainly 2wd I'd not worry so much. 

I think any damage caused when 4wd is engaged would be negligible. 

That said, I replaced all 4 tyres on my tt at the same time. 

7 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

Goodbye GTi, hello Combo. Will need to get a sun visor name strip for the windscreen for me and the dog and a rolled up Daily Star to leave on the dash at all times:

A7719EDF-EBBB-4E8C-8668-E0EBDB4126B2.jpeg

That’s exactly the sort of vehicle I can envisage you driving.

3 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

It’s workable but not ideal to have brand new fronts and worn out rears. Most 4WD wear evenly so if you’re changing the fronts I’d have a look at the rears too. Arbitrarily I’d say if you were down to about 3mm at the rear then it’d probably  be best to replace all four. 

That said, if it spends 99% of its life in 2WD disregard this pish and carry on as planned. 

Back in the day, this was certainly true for mechanical 4x4's that is where the connection between the wheels was purely mechanical and permanent. Worn tyres causing differing wheel speeds would cause premature wear over a period of time. 
I think nowadays, with lots of electronic trickery interfering with 4x4 systems and certainly if its mainly 2wd I'd not worry so much. 
I think any damage caused when 4wd is engaged would be negligible. 
That said, I replaced all 4 tyres on my tt at the same time. 

It’s workable but not ideal to have brand new fronts and worn out rears. Most 4WD wear evenly so if you’re changing the fronts I’d have a look at the rears too. Arbitrarily I’d say if you were down to about 3mm at the rear then it’d probably  be best to replace all four. 
That said, if it spends 99% of its life in 2WD disregard this pish and carry on as planned. 

Cheers for the responses. Yeah I drive it around in 2WD and only switch to 4WD if I have to negotiate tricky terrain, switching back to 2WD after. Sounds like I should be okay.