Car advice

Have bought loads of cars from garages. Have never even thought of trying to get anything off the asking price. 
Does anybody ask for money off at the supermarket or when you buy a new pair of jeans or shoes?

14 minutes ago, supermik said:

Have bought loads of cars from garages. Have never even thought of trying to get anything off the asking price. 
Does anybody ask for money off at the supermarket or when you buy a new pair of jeans or shoes?

There's no need to ask for money off, just walk away, they'll soon come running after you if they have spare money in the car.

Advice please - 2011 Ford Focus 1.6TDCi - "Engine Malfunction" came on this morning when under hard acceleration (joining motorway).  When I put the foot down, the car felt sluggish for a sec then the message popped up - after that, I couldn't accelerate hard at all (limp mode?). Kinda felt like the car was starved of fuel for a second - any ideas welcome?

Car is booked in for  a service tomorrow

11 hours ago, supermik said:

That’s not a proper comparison.  Nothing wrong with haggling.

25 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

Advice please - 2011 Ford Focus 1.6TDCi - "Engine Malfunction" came on this morning when under hard acceleration (joining motorway).  When I put the foot down, the car felt sluggish for a sec then the message popped up - after that, I couldn't accelerate hard at all (limp mode?). Kinda felt like the car was starved of fuel for a second - any ideas welcome?

There's something wrong with the engine.

1 hour ago, DublinMagyar said:

It’s your turbo m. Mondeo did same thing, £1000.

Have a nice day.

Injection system probably.
Mine did similar recently (except it told me check injection)
Diesel too. Currently got one of those treatments in it. Have 4 full tanks worth to clear it apparently.
Unfortunately a tank is lasting over a month at this bloody rate which is what caused it in the first place.

10 hours ago, DublinMagyar said:

Someone put some petrol in it? Or yes, some oily/turbo disaster. 

12 hours ago, DublinMagyar said:

Sounds similar to the beginning of the end of my old Focus (1.6 Zetec Turbo Diesel). 

Dual mass flywheel and clutch were fucked. Got fixed. Got about 6 weeks out the car. Loss of power again. Tried booting it to try blow any crap out the filters. Nae joy. Couldn’t get it to go fast enough to blow crap out. Starting cutting out intermittently. WeBuyAnyCar.com.  

I've never paid the sticker price on a car. Think of it like sky TV, people paying full price mean bigger discounts for people who haggle.

Asking for a discount in Currys often works as well.

Mondeo getting collected next week, then agree figure with finance company on the difference between settlement and value car. 
Then sortboaying dad money he loaned me for new car.

fucking mondeo

11 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Mondeo getting collected next week, then agree figure with finance company on the difference between settlement and value car. 
Then sortboaying dad money he loaned me for new car.

fucking mondeo

Is that the car’s value before all the problems or as it is now (scrap?) 

It’s not scrap, needs turbo done so it’ll be value minus repair. Doubt they’ll mention to which ever auction house the stuff we found out about it. 
Just want shot whole sorry affair now. 

On 03/01/2021 at 15:30, Trackdaybob said:

It will very much depend on how you're buying it. 

Trade in, no trade in, cash, bank transfer, finance, pcp, etc, etc. 

Straight sale I'd be looking at around £18-18.5k.  

They don't like straight cash deals. Best scenario for a dealer is to buy your trade in at a rock bottom price, you to take one of their overpriced cars on finance(at the first rate they offer you which they earn commission on and for you to buy a service and warranty deal and car mats with their logo on. They dropped the price on a car I was looking at by £300 and  offered better finance than they opened with but it wasn't enough for me to buy. Car I was looking at is still on the forecourt and apparently losing them £300 a month by doing so. Car market is going to crash big time very soon (along with everything else)

They don't like straight cash deals. Best scenario for a dealer is to buy your trade in at a rock bottom price, you to take one of their overpriced cars on finance(at the first rate they offer you which they earn commission on and for you to buy a service and warranty deal and car mats with their logo on. They dropped the price on a car I was looking at by £300 and  offered better finance than they opened with but it wasn't enough for me to buy. Car I was looking at is still on the forecourt and apparently losing them £300 a month by doing so. Car market is going to crash big time very soon (along with everything else)

Turn up in a month and make them an even lower offer, if for nothing else it may annoy a salesman.

10 minutes ago, Joe Terrapin said:

No one with a reasonable credit rating should finance a car through the dealer.