Car advice

15 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I can understand why he was raging at changing a wheel in the rain on a car you wouldn't have been able to drive home anyway as you were getting pished.

I don't remember if I was pished or not but I doubt it. Regardless, the wife was always happy to drive so no worries on that score.

1 minute ago, Shandön Par said:

Should be easy enough if you know your cars.. 

I’ve had about 40-odd cars and these are a few of my favourites. Can you identify ‘em?

Metaphorical prize to the winner.

521A1D83-6935-4488-8ED8-E8E955E0CD5D.jpeg

Jag XE?

Renault Clio

Golf

Jag E/I pace

Audi TT

Just now, 101 said:

Jag XE?

Renault Clio

Golf

Jag E/I pace

Audi TT

Easy work!

xe was great in the snow (4x4)

197 Lux amazing to drive. Had a couple of them

Golf was a cracking car 

E Pace is good fun

Had a couple of TTs. Still fancy one as a project some time. So beatifically made inside but all at an age now where they’ve not been looked after properly or have been badly modified. 

Just now, Shandön Par said:

Easy work!

xe was great in the snow (4x4)

197 Lux amazing to drive. Had a couple of them

Golf was a cracking car 

E Pace is good fun

Had a couple of TTs. Still fancy one as a project some time. So beatifically made inside but all at an age now where they’ve not been looked after properly or have been badly modified. 

I assumed the EX was rear wheel drive and it was covered in snow after being barrel rolled.

Love the colour of your E pace!

Most modified cars in Scotland look awful because as far as I can tell they cut the springs to slam them and that all, I was following a polo yesterday that couldn't clear speed bumps

23 minutes ago, 101 said:

I assumed the EX was rear wheel drive and it was covered in snow after being barrel rolled.

Love the colour of your E pace!

Most modified cars in Scotland look awful because as far as I can tell they cut the springs to slam them and that all, I was following a polo yesterday that couldn't clear speed bumps

Yes, they’re rwd as standard. The 4x4 gubbins was out of the evoque/discovery sport so was a bit over-engineered for a saloon. Amazing in snow on the rare occasion and in the wet. 

Feel like I've been done by our local garage.

Oil change including filters and a simple Tyre swap to my winters cost me just over €150
Most of that was for oil?! What the f**k? It's needed an oil change for ages but seriously?!

Plus they've now left a power steering and EOS (can't mind exactly) warning light on.

7 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Feel like I've been done by our local garage.

Oil change including filters and a simple Tyre swap to my winters cost me just over €150
Most of that was for oil?! What the f**k? It's needed an oil change for ages but seriously?!

Plus they've now left a power steering and EOS (can't mind exactly) warning light on.

What kind of motor you driving? On the face of it that sounds about right tbh. The warning lights are a minor pain in the arse but I’m sure if you pop back in they’ll rectify them for you for heehaw.

Here’s a screenshot of a price comparison blog from July 2020 for oil and filter change alone, so factoring in your tyres I’d guess you’ve been charged about the going rate.

ADCCED48-9500-4442-84D7-58462CB8C39F.jpeg

Edited by 8MileBU

Just do it yourself next time if you want to save some cash.
ETA: used to get good quality oil from germany for way less than here and I bet Brexit has fucked that up.
What kind of motor you driving? On the face of it that sounds about right tbh. The warning lights are a minor pain in the arse but I’m sure if you pop back in they’ll rectify them for you for heehaw.
Here’s a screenshot of a price comparison blog from July 2020 for oil and filter change alone, so factoring in your tyres I’d guess you’ve been charged about the going rate.

ADCCED48-9500-4442-84D7-58462CB8C39F.thumb.jpeg.1bf76be86d57b712cec538eed9adda64.jpeg
I did a few searches yesterday and today morning and the warning lights seemed to be only for me to check that the power steering was OK, to turn the wheel a few times listening for noise or anything strange. They switched off immediately after that.
I'd checked the PS fluid levels and seemed to be fine, would be mental if that was a problem on a 3 year old car.

Mixi I've never done either of these myself before and to be honest I'm scared incase I f**k it up.
Also I think I left the oil change far far too late as it's clear the difference in how smooth the engine sounds now to before.

OIl changes for me generally consist of oil at around £18 - £25 for 4.5/5  Litres,

plus filter at around £6 - £8.   It's really a case of being aware of  the right grades/specs for your car,

and finding the most cost effective way of doing it. Rather than going in to Halfords,

and just paying up what they say. 

Over the years, I've tried various devices for loosening oil filters, and have finally settled on the 'cup'

type. ( Around £5 ).  I usually go for a good brand of filter ( Mahle ), or the manufacturer labelled one.

So , all in, even if it's the first oil change I'd done on the car, and I'd had to buy a new cup to fit the filter

specific to that car, then that comes  to around £38 max ( but more usually around £27/£28 )  to do it myself. 

In about 20+ years, and loads of cars, I've done all the oil changes.

Except for a couple of winters ago, when the oil change came due around about now.  I looked outside,

temperature below zero, wind shrieking up the driveway, and thought.... ".... **ck it, someone else can do it..".

So down to my local garage, with the oil and filter in the boot, and they did it for half an hour's labour ( £30 ).

Edited by beefybake

7 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

How much could you realistically expect a car dealer to take off their advertised price? As an example say you were going for a £20k used car, what would be a good price to actually pay for it?

I'd say about 10%. Offer 16k and see what they come down to.

42 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

How much could you realistically expect a car dealer to take off their advertised price? As an example say you were going for a £20k used car, what would be a good price to actually pay for it?

It will very much depend on how you're buying it. 

Trade in, no trade in, cash, bank transfer, finance, pcp, etc, etc. 

Straight sale I'd be looking at around £18-18.5k.  

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It'll be £22k by the time they add on GAP insurance, additional warranty, Scotchgard etc. etc.