Car advice

On 18/12/2020 at 20:21, alta-pete said:

You boys have clearly never driven your father’s 1985 Mercedes E200 auto. Couldn’t pull the skin of custard. And it had (on checking now ) a massive 120bhp apparently! 

I once owned a 1984 same shape Merc 240D.   I don't know how much bhp it had, but was considerably less than 120... 

Frightenly slow does not do justice to how it was.

On 20/12/2020 at 19:49, Thistle_do_nicely said:

off the top of my head at that budget but a Mazda CX-5 maybe, think they can be good for towing stuff about?

edit: oooooo, did a little fantasy shop there aha, no idea if it suits what you're looking for but

https://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/mazda/cx-5/2-0-se-l-5dr/2014/ref/arnbg-u-123665

Max. Towing Weight - Braked 1800 Max. Towing Weight - Unbraked 690

That car you quoted has far too few torques to be a decent tow car and has a petrol engine so the fuel consumption would be abysmal.

One can buy a decent Volvo XC70 with their 2.4 diesel engine generating about about 300 lb ft of torque (the real number for a tow car) for under £7K.  OK so it may have more than 80,000 miles on the clock but if it's been well-maintained that isn't a worry.

6 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

That car you quoted has far too few torques to be a decent tow car and has a petrol engine so the fuel consumption would be abysmal.

One can buy a decent Volvo XC70 with their 2.4 diesel engine generating about about 300 lb ft of torque (the real number for a tow car) for under £7K.  OK so it may have more than 80,000 miles on the clock but if it's been well-maintained that isn't a worry.

Ahhh, yea i did wonder if a diesel would make more sense if its a camper for all them long distance miles

Take it to a remote location, pour accelerant all over it and light with a match. Keyser Soze style.

Report stolen.

Collect insurance.

*if there are no sharp edges, it is just the plastic trim, and mirror has no tape obscuring view and is solid, then can't see it being a fail.

Alternatively get a quote from an online scrappy to send the part.

About 6 months ago someone knocked the drivers side wingmirror on my car and shattered the casing but the glass is still all fine. I've taped it up and it's held all this time. Would it still fail an MOT?

4 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What does that mean in real terms. Do you have to pay anything?

Aye, settlement figure minus car value. It’s such a shame the company that collect cars for finance company are closed until at least 4th January! 

9 hours ago, Black and White Tragic said:

Anyone bought a car from a motor dealership during these pandemic times and how negotiable have they been on pricing?

We bought a C4 Spacetourer in August and managed to get a service pack inc but they refused money off,we did also managed to get a really good finance rate.But the prices just now are just crazy.

9 hours ago, Black and White Tragic said:

Anyone bought a car from a motor dealership during these pandemic times and how negotiable have they been on pricing?

Aye, I managed to shave just shy off 2k from where I bought from. I think initially, used car sales especially were flying after lockdown but they’ve really slowed down in the past couple of months. Looking at websites the same cars have been there for 2/3 months now. 

My bad luck continues! Only had new back tyres on for 3 months and one is “punctured” already. It was fine when I went out in the afternoon, heard a strange noise about 2 hours later as I was driving to the supermarket but it was still driving alright. Started the drive home and the steering felt sluggish and I stopped to take a look and the tyre was flat. Tried to put air in it but it wouldn’t accept any. Strange thing is that I can’t see puncture holes or slashes on the tyre. Stupidly perhaps, I drove it the  2 miles home but only went 25mph max

On 22/12/2020 at 00:40, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

About 6 months ago someone knocked the drivers side wingmirror on my car and shattered the casing but the glass is still all fine. I've taped it up and it's held all this time. Would it still fail an MOT?

Some p***k knocked my wingmirror and detached it. This was about 4 years ago. I taped it up and it’s never been anything that’s caused my MOT to fail. It’s on the advisories though 

Edited by Thereisalight..

59 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Some p***k knocked my wingmirror and detached it. This was about 4 years ago. I taped it up and it’s never been anything that’s caused my MOT to fail. It’s on the advisories though 

I take it that it was on the passenger side and that the right wing is fine?

My bad luck continues! Only had new back tyres on for 3 months and one is “punctured” already. It was fine when I went out in the afternoon, heard a strange noise about 2 hours later as I was driving to the supermarket but it was still driving alright. Started the drive home and the steering felt sluggish and I stopped to take a look and the tyre was flat. Tried to put air in it but it wouldn’t accept any. Strange thing is that I can’t see puncture holes or slashes on the tyre. Stupidly perhaps, I drove it the  2 miles home but only went 25mph max
Can you hear air coming from the valve? take it to a tyre place and they should repair it if it isn't bad.

8 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I take it that it was on the passenger side and that the right wing is fine?

Yeah it was the passenger side. Thankfully 

4 hours ago, Empty It said:
10 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Can you hear air coming from the valve? take it to a tyre place and they should repair it if it isn't bad.

I can’t hear air. Even when I tried the air machine there was nothing. I phoned the local garage and they said they’ll be around later to put the spare wheel on and then take it from there. Another expense and hassle I didn’t need 😞