Car advice

Just now, RH33 said:

Good people of p&b

In the red corner a 2014 Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo with 35k miles on clock

in the grey corner a 2013 polo 33k miles on clock

opinions please

Pretty much the same car underneath so go what colour you like best. 

From memory when I was looking for a new car a few years ago I looked at the fabia and polo and it seemed like the fabia had a lot more space and features inside than you'd get with the VW, in the end I went with a fiesta but the fabia was a close second.

1 hour ago, Shandön Par said:

Pretty much the same car underneath so go what colour you like best. 

is it the Seat Leon you can get which is basically identical to a Polo and all? think there was a thing that you can get a Seat Leon with a trim that's nigh on a carbon copy of a high spec Polo but for several grand cheaper.

edit: might be an Ibiza come to think of it

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

From memory when I was looking for a new car a few years ago I looked at the fabia and polo and it seemed like the fabia had a lot more space and features inside than you'd get with the VW, in the end I went with a fiesta but the fabia was a close second.

See previous posts, we don’t talk about fords!

7 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

is it the Seat Leon you can get which is basically identical to a Polo and all? think there was a thing that you can get a Seat Leon with a trim that's nigh on a carbon copy of a high spec Polo but for several grand cheaper.

Think the Leon is based on the Golf...Ibiza is based on the polo.

8 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

You’re edit is right - vw group shares all the basic platform architecture so Fabia, Ibiza, Audi a1, Polo from that era are really the same. Different suspension tuning but the main difference is the internal materials, soundproofing etc. Seat get less soundproofing and cheaper plastic but more standard kit, Audi get better materials etc. 

Ran a 2013 Ibiza for our work pool car for a while and it was lovely to drive, just a bit dull and grey inside.  

@RandomGuy.

My car had glow plug light come on a week ago and went into limp mode. Took it to the garage and they replaced the glow plugs and put a fuel system cleaner into the car as the EGR valve might be clogged. The light came back on the next day and they told me to leave it a few weeks to let the cleaner get through the system and if it’s still on they’ll have to replace the EGR valve. However the car is still going into limp mode in 2nd gear and the light coming on 5 minutes after starting it up. 

Is this normal to suggest leaving it in this state for a few weeks?

18 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

@RandomGuy.

My car had glow plug light come on a week ago and went into limp mode. Took it to the garage and they replaced the glow plugs and put a fuel system cleaner into the car as the EGR valve might be clogged. The light came back on the next day and they told me to leave it a few weeks to let the cleaner get through the system and if it’s still on they’ll have to replace the EGR valve. However the car is still going into limp mode in 2nd gear and the light coming on 5 minutes after starting it up. 

Is this normal to suggest leaving it in this state for a few weeks?

To me it sounds like its beyond what can be cleaned out, but thats without seeing the car obviously.

You do get situations where a car just needs a coule of hard runs to get up to high temps to clean it out, but I wouldn't feel right recommending that without knowing the state of the car incase it caused any issues anywhere else.

Can only go with what they say and see what happens. What kind of car is it?

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

To me it sounds like its beyond what can be cleaned out, but thats without seeing the car obviously.

You do get situations where a car just needs a coule of hard runs to get up to high temps to clean it out, but I wouldn't feel right recommending that without knowing the state of the car incase it caused any issues anywhere else.

Can only go with what they say and see what happens. What kind of car is it?

Audi A3. I’m just worried that the first time I take it on a proper drive to get it going to see if that helps that it cuts out/causes more damage when it’s struggling in 2nd gear at the moment.

4 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Audi A3. I’m just worried that the first time I take it on a proper drive to get it going to see if that helps that it cuts out/causes more damage when it’s struggling in 2nd gear at the moment.

Is it a garage you trust/have used before?

There is a chance the EGR system is so blocked up it can pressurise other parts on the car and damage them, but I'd be surprised if any garage would take that risk by telling you to keep driving it tbh.

My car was away in for a manufacturer recall today getting the fuel pump changed. 

The courtesy car they gave me was a Lexus UX F Sport.  This is the second F Sport model they've given me in the last few months and they are the most gutless things I've driven for a while.  Especially as they're trying to sell them as some kind of upmarket hot hatch. 

Mine isnt in anyway sporty but would leave the two of them standing. 

46 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is it a garage you trust/have used before?

There is a chance the EGR system is so blocked up it can pressurise other parts on the car and damage them, but I'd be surprised if any garage would take that risk by telling you to keep driving it tbh.

I’ve had no problems with them tbh, but I’m not sure I entirely trust it. Think I’ll take a run out around the bypass at the weekend to give it a hard run and see how it goes.

7 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Leon is basically a Golf.   

Of the OP's question, I'd go for the Fabia  Monte Carlo, you get more car for your money than the Polo, even though the Polo, Fabia and the Ibiza are the same underneath.

6 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Leon is basically a Golf.   

Of the OP's question, I'd go for the Fabia  Monte Carlo, you get more car for your money than the Polo, even though the Polo, Fabia and the Ibiza are the same underneath.

The Fabia seems to be winner. The black alloys are going to be scratched f**k within days🙈

3 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

My car was away in for a manufacturer recall today getting the fuel pump changed. 

The courtesy car they gave me was a Lexus UX F Sport. 

Dreadful the tat that Bentley garages palm-off by way of a 'convenience vehicle' these days...

The courtesy car they gave me was a Lexus UX F Sport.  This is the second F Sport model they've given me in the last few months and they are the most gutless things I've driven for a while.  Especially as they're trying to sell them as some kind of upmarket hot hatch. 
Mine isnt in anyway sporty but would leave the two of them standing. 
You haven't felt gutless until you've driven a Vauxhall Astra 1.4 (the old one - not the new one with the turbo).

I had one for 3 years and it was slow to the point I'd say it was unsafe.

14 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’ve had no problems with them tbh, but I’m not sure I entirely trust it. Think I’ll take a run out around the bypass at the weekend to give it a hard run and see how it goes.

@RandomGuy.

This morning as well as the glow plugs light, the oil light is on now as well. Back to the garage I go.

You haven't felt gutless until you've driven a Vauxhall Astra 1.4 (the old one - not the new one with the turbo).

I had one for 3 years and it was slow to the point I'd say it was unsafe.

I can better that. My first company car in 1989 was. Sierra 2.3 diesel. No turbo, slower than a snail, heavy as fk and no power steering or electric windows etc.

I don’t think it had a 0-60 time, don’t think I ever had room to get it up to that speed [emoji1787]