Car advice

how likely are corroded brake pad carriers to fail an MOT? Been replacing calipers but the carrier bolts are all rounded off so can't get them off. I've given them a brush to get the worst of it off but they look pretty rusty.
Give any exposed parts a lick of Hammerite and they wont even notice, as long as your car breaks effectively they wont even look at them.

More braking woes.
I've replaced 3 calipers and replaced the pads on the back ones as well. It's had a long enough drive that there shouldn't be any bedding in issues but I'm still hearing a sound like the pads are rubbing on the rear discs. I've done 2 full bleeds and it's still noticeable.
Any ideas on things to check?
Not the bearings is it?

56 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

No it's the pads on the rear discs, it's the same noise when driving as it is if I spin them with the handbrake off.

Is it a scraping noise?

This might sound ridiculous, but make sure the backplate isn't touching the disk. Its a really simple thing that can be hard to spot dependent on where its touching, but causes a hell of a noise.

I'd be checking everything was tight and nothing is rubbing then.

ETA RG beat me to it

yes but it was a bit convoluted.

I replaced both rear calipers and bled them individually thinking I'd get away with it but the brakes were spongey & I was getting the mentioned pads grinding on the discs, so I tried to do a full bleed but the nut on one of the front ones was so rusted to shite I couldn't get any purchase on it so I just bled the 3 that I could get to, brakes were better but the noise was still there.

I replaced that front caliper  with the gone nipple this morning & did a full bleed and I got air on the back ones. 

No it's the pads on the rear discs, it's the same noise when driving as it is if I spin them with the handbrake off.

Not a mechanic, just thinking of the woes on my old car.

Assuming that calipers, disc and pads are all done the next step for me would have been the wheel bearings but it depends on the noise.

I note someone said check for flaps rubbing.

Only other thing I could think of is there is something not quite tightened correctly and it's over tight and making brakes apply under little pressure

Edit for autococonut

14 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

It was these b*****ding things. Top sliders were just about OK but the bottom ones were seized and needed coaxing out of the carriers with a cold chisel and hammer. Once I'd replaced them & the seals and re-bled them, the brakes were back to normal. I'd really like to replace the carriers themselves but as I said a few pages earlier the bolts are rounded to f**k. I'll need to weld on new heads before I can get those off. Anyway it'll do for now.

IMG_20200830_114353.jpg

Have you been foraging again?

It was these b*****ding things. Top sliders were just about OK but the bottom ones were seized and needed coaxing out of the carriers with a cold chisel and hammer. Once I'd replaced them & the seals and re-bled them, the brakes were back to normal. I'd really like to replace the carriers themselves but as I said a few pages earlier the bolts are rounded to f**k. I'll need to weld on new heads before I can get those off. Anyway it'll do for now.

IMG_20200830_114353.thumb.jpg.7ce6ab805cca548e18359e2daf1fac46.jpg
Could you not get the rounded bolts out with an easy out instead of welding new heads?

4 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

IMG_20200830_114353.jpg

What make/model of car was this?

Just so as I can make a mental note never to buy one.

Some dafty in a lorry wrecked front of my car this week. Was all on camera and witnessed so getting entire front of car resprayed and renewed.
Had the insurance on the phone telling me that the scratches from stones or car wash on the bonnet was part of the accident.

Err, oh them yes they weren't there before.
The bump from hitting a bollard a year ago aye best to sort that as well.

Result.

3 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Fresh from fixing my own car I was driving my wife's one and it was doing quite disconcerting juddering up the steering wheel while braking on the motorway.

I'll have a wee look tomorrow but any hints at what to look out for? Seen various sites saying a warped disc but I've never in my life seen that happen.

Buckled wheel would do it when driving, so if its just when your braking seems highly likely its the disks.

They dont tend to warp for no reason though. Has the car been sitting a long time before being driven?/heavy breaking in heavy rain?/etc.?