Car advice

53 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The ones I was looking at were about £35,000. If you like the idea of a project you could do it for a fraction of that if you buy a standard secondhand work van and do it yourself, not as difficult as it sounds.

Second hand with under 80k km on the clock you are looking at around £40k equivalent here as a starting point for a VW T5 or T6. You can buy a new T6 at the lowest spec brand new for a 7 or 8 grand more than that. Possible to pick up second hand models for a bit less but most of them are 150k + on the clock and looking very much like they are well used.

Edited by Ross.

21 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Second hand with under 80k km on the clock you are looking at around £40k equivalent here as a starting point for a VW T5 or T6. You can buy a new T6 at the lowest spec brand new for a 7 or 8 grand more than that. Possible to pick up second hand models for a bit less but most of them are 150k + on the clock and looking very much like they are well used.

I quite liked the look of these, new for about £40k. Daniel's a c**t though.

Edited by welshbairn

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I quite liked the look of these, new for about £40k. Daniel's a c**t though.

Can only see the NV300 on sale here and it starts at £53 grand new.

Just had a read up on on importing a van from elsewhere, prices tend to be much lower on second hand ones in German, France and Spain, but by the time you re-register it and pay the import tax it seems to completely negate the point.

3 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Can only see the NV300 on sale here and it starts at £53 grand new.

Just had a read up on on importing a van from elsewhere, prices tend to be much lower on second hand ones in German, France and Spain, but by the time you re-register it and pay the import tax it seems to completely negate the point.

If you could find somewhere to store it you could always park and register it over the border in Germany, shame you don't live in Geneva. No idea how feasible that is, or if Liechtenstein might have some loophole.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If you could find somewhere to store it you could always park and register it over the border in Germany, shame you don't live in Geneva. No idea how feasible that is, or if Liechtenstein might have some loophole.

I'm about 70km to the German border, which would be the closes place for me. That said, if I bought a Camper I would probably have to give up my own car as I really wouldn't be able to justify having both, so I'd need something that can also reliably hammer in the 750km a week I do going from the house to work and back.

40 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I'm about 70km to the German border, which would be the closes place for me. That said, if I bought a Camper I would probably have to give up my own car as I really wouldn't be able to justify having both, so I'd need something that can also reliably hammer in the 750km a week I do going from the house to work and back.

Sounds like you'd be better off just renting one for trips. Outrageously expensive in Inverness, around £800 pw, but if you factor in hotels etc I suppose it's not beyond reason. 

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Sounds like you'd be better off just renting one for trips. Outrageously expensive in Inverness, around £800 pw, but if you factor in hotels etc I suppose it's not beyond reason. 

Aye, the good lady is keen on doing that North East 500 in a camper van, but the price of hiring one for the week is eyebleedingly expensive (think some were upwards of £1k), especially when compared to a short break abroad.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Aye, the good lady is keen on doing that North East 500 in a camper van, but the price of hiring one for the week is eyebleedingly expensive, especially when compared to a short break abroad.

I've heard it's just one long camper van traffic jam at the moment anyway.

2 hours ago, keithgy said:

Went out for a wee drive today and 2 hours later ended up spending £17998

3 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

What?

My grandad used to do this, seemingly.

Went around the garages every weekend, and it was pot luck whether he came home with a new car or not :lol: this would be way back though, as I've only ever been told about it.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

how likely are corroded brake pad carriers to fail an MOT? Been replacing calipers but the carrier bolts are all rounded off so can't get them off. I've given them a brush to get the worst of it off but they look pretty rusty.

Unlikely, I think.

I've spent a lot of time looking through cars' MOT histories, on the long run up to replacing mine,

and never seen any mention of rust on carriers. 

If the brakes work well enough, then they're OK..., I think that's what the MOT view is.

Edited by beefybake