Car advice

Went for the Golf in the end, was able to order from my couch and I think the Avensis will be too big for my needs, I don't really need an estate car at all but the space will be useful fairly often and its not getting used in the city.

Appreciate all the comments warning me off the Insignia.

Been thinking about replacing my 2016 Jeep Patriot.

I previously had a Chrysler 300 and was looking online.... there’s new 2020 ones with MSRP $37,000 for sale at $24,500!

That’s at a real dealer not one of those buy online deals!

I’m seriously tempted!

Would I be daft even be thinking about this for a camper van? Low mileage ones cost an awful lot more. 

https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-motorhomes/volkswagen-camper/1379173382

This shows the advisories at the last MOT which lasts till September. It's been SORN'd for a while

image.png.df23d93394e1c69c758c1dd5609e5148.png

This was the fails that had to be fixed to get through the MOT last September.

image.thumb.png.da3482b14b58217619a0624c11e1fd63.png

23 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Would I be daft even be thinking about this for a camper van? Low mileage ones cost an awful lot more. 

This shows the advisories at the last MOT which lasts till September. It's been SORN'd for a while

Ask them to paint Free Candy on the side and it's a deal.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

I'd get an idea on a price to weld new sills in, unless you can do it yourself, before making any offers. Should also Google and see the most common rust spots and give them a good poke, if the sills are rotten then chances are more of the car is which can be a nightmare.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No camper van and caravan owners are scum. Never mind this new breed of campers.

4 minutes ago, RH33 said:

No camper van and caravan owners are scum. Never mind this new breed of campers.

I just liked it because it looks like a beaten up old transit. Nobody would know I'm really a camper van c**t.

Edited by welshbairn

Had a look at its last few years MOT records. It's either rebuilt to almost new or it's held together with gaffer tape. Might take a mechanic mate round to check it out.

Edited by welshbairn

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Yes.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Who is selling it? A German lad who liked trips to Portugal?

27 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Saw it today with a mechanic friend. Seems sound, said I'd buy it if he gets it through an MOT. Quite excited. 

Rather you than me, it sounds like an absolute pig and I'd be more worried about a van with that mileage failing on emissions than the multiple holes it has in it.

On an unrelated note VOSA have taken a step back from monitoring MOT tests, so expect a surge of dodgy tests. I've been told of someone who'll give you a certificate for £100 without even seeing the car.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

On an unrelated note VOSA have taken a step back from monitoring MOT tests, so expect a surge of dodgy tests. I've been told of someone who'll give you a certificate for £100 without even seeing the car.

Cool, it should steam through the MOT then. My friend's a full time experienced mechanic and thought it worth the risk, some of these VW diesels can do half a million miles, hopefully it's one of them, but I'd be happy with 2 or three seasons pootling around non league grounds in the Highlands and the odd trip to Wales. If it functions it will be a bargain, camper vans like that cost a fortune, even 20 year old ones. If not, I'll have paid for most of it with a few decent bets that came in recently, so just sticking it back on another gamble.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Cool, it should steam through the MOT then. My friend's a full time experienced mechanic and thought it worth the risk, some of these VW diesels can do half a million miles, hopefully it's one of them, but I'd be happy with 2 or three seasons pootling around non league grounds in the Highlands and the odd trip to Wales. If it functions it will be a bargain, camper vans like that cost a fortune, even 20 year old ones. If not, I'll have paid for most of it with a few decent bets that came in recently, so just sticking it back on another gamble.

Odd trips from Inverness to Wales in that thing?

Make sure you've got good breakdown cover in place before you set off.

On 24/07/2020 at 13:21, RandomGuy. said:

You can't compare a 17yo car to a 3yo one.

1.6 diesels have a lot of injector and DPF issues, no matter what make you buy.

I didn't - it was a typo.  Most normal people would have guessed that.

The Golf 1.6 diesel is gutless and I'd never buy another.

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Fair play, I just see the worst in every car tbh. Makes buying one a nightmare.

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

My stepdad had an old camper van which we used for going to the football. Squad in the back with a carryout while he was happy to drive. Was a late 70's build and lasted through until around 2002 ish, without too many issues other than wear and tear. Clock was closer to 999999 than 500000 when he finally gave it up.

ETA: The missus is currently trying to convince me to buy one of the new generation campers. As far is she is concerned right now she won't be flying too far on holiday again and that would allow us to get around a bit when we decide we want to go away. Not cheap to buy new and not much of a 2nd hand market at the moment, which is putting me off a little as I don't really want to be spending the sort of money they are asking for right now.

Edited by Ross.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

My stepdad had an old camper van which we used for going to the football. Squad in the back with a carryout while he was happy to drive. Was a late 70's build and lasted through until around 2002 ish, without too many issues other than wear and tear. Clock was closer to 999999 than 500000 when he finally gave it up.

ETA: The missus is currently trying to convince me to buy one of the new generation campers. As far is she is concerned right now she won't be flying too far on holiday again and that would allow us to get around a bit when we decide we want to go away. Not cheap to buy new and not much of a 2nd hand market at the moment, which is putting me off a little as I don't really want to be spending the sort of money they are asking for right now.

The ones I was looking at were about £35,000. If you like the idea of a project you could do it for a fraction of that if you buy a standard secondhand work van and do it yourself, not as difficult as it sounds.