Car advice

27 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Circumstances haven’t changed, does work that involves a lot of miles daily and think she’ll talk her way out the excess mileage payments.

How exactly is she going to talk her way out of a contractual agreement with a finance company? 

1 hour ago, CountyFan said:

Ouch. Why didnt they call them when their circumstances changed and re-do the deal to make it more accurate to the actual mileage they were doing? They would have upped the monthly payment but surely that would be a more cost effective way of doing it rather than getting a huge excess mileage bill at the end of the deal? 

Not that i would do it but certain companies do mileage correction🙄

54 minutes ago, RH33 said:

No chance.

39 minutes ago, Rugster said:

How exactly is she going to talk her way out of a contractual agreement with a finance company? 

Yup exactly try explaining that to her. 

“it’ll not be that bad”

1 hour ago, gav-ffc said:

Yup exactly try explaining that to her. 

“it’ll not be that bad”

Might want to suggest she looks at her contract again. She’s looking at a hefty bill.

At 8p per mile which is around the standard she's looking at £1360 excess mileage charges for each year!

They won't negotiate on that lol.

Her only escapes are
1 to sell privately and hope it covers the balloon payment.
2 trade in and hope its worth enough to cover the balloon payment.
3 pay the balloon and own the car
4 illegally tamper with the mileage but be caught out because MOT will show what it is at year 3 and likelyhood they won't believe the car has been parked up for 2 years or thereabouts.... and when the dealer plugs the car in to their system it will show the correct mileage as it gets stored in several places on a car now.

With PCP the balloon will presumably be significantly more than the car is actually worth by that point? Otherwise what is the incentive for the dealer to offer it
It should be less than the car is worth IF you give accurate information when setting up the deal; the idea is to leave some equity in to be a deposit on the next deal: making that easier to do. That is why it's called the Guaranteed Minimum Future Value but if you don't stick to the deal it affects the projected value used to work out the GMFV.

In the case above with such a massive disparity in the mileage factored in and the actual mileage covered then most likely the car will be worth less.
Might be lucky and just wash in a sale or trade-in it's face but that's highly doubtful.

Helpful, thanks. I have a PCP that I'm happy with, still has 12 months to run but just thinking about options for when it expires. I love the car so might just pay the balloon at the end and keep it but wouldn't want to do that if it would be better value to just get a new PCP deal. 

Remember the ideal time to make your mind up is with about 3 months to go.

Also once you have sorted out what you are doing cancel your Direct Debit after the last installment or there is a slight chance they might try to take the balloon payment that way; normally even if you are paying it off you would call up and do a settlement instead as you control the date etc.

On 30/06/2020 at 21:23, Thistle_do_nicely said:

a wee heads up (I'd managed to miss it somehow!) but it looks like the 6 month MOT exemption is changing a bit.

If I've read it right, if your MOT will have expired after 01 August you'll need to get it done as normal, if it ordinarily would expire between 30 March and 01 August then the 6 month extension is still in effect

Cheers for that.

Question for you, and everyone else...

My MOT is due next week. As I understood it, if you could get it MOT'd on time, you should, so I've booked it in. With the 6 month extension though, I actually don't need to get it done until January.

I need a bit of work on the suspension and I'm getting some water under my seat on very wet days, so I'm taking it to the garage anyway. Should I just get the MOT done while its there or should I take advantage of the extension?

I own the car outright by the way, and intend to do so for a couple of years yet.

Just ordered filler, sand paper and primer to sort a rust patch on my project car, anyone had any experience doing this and got any tips?
Yes and no.

I did it for a wheel arch on my last car, sand more than the rusted bit. An inch or two more was all I did

For the patch, where there is frame try and use a light metal to bridge the gap where the rust was ( advised to do this on arch as the NCT folk in Ireland do not like fibre glass only and would rip it out at test) and make sure you fill round it and hopefully it adheres to car (hard to explain unless you are happy to do some welding or if the MOT place dgaf).
Once patched with filler, sand with rough paper first and smooth off with fine paper so it's all even.
Prime, paint and seal.

Got the car through its test no bother and didn't look too bad either as you repaint the additional either side and you couldn't really tell what was still original frame and what was fibreglass.

I'm sure someone who may have had more experience doing this might have better pointers.

Be wary of the fibreglass mixture, do not get it on fingers and touch anything as it likes to adhere to anything it can.

No idea if the PCP deals are similar to leases here, but when I looked at doing that as opposed to paying cash outright, it was a no brainer. The mileage costs were horrendous and the risk of going over what was agreed was just not worth it. Had I got the equivalent car new on a lease I'd have been looking at around CHF 3600 a year in payments, versus the 10700 I paid outright. Granted, that means I need to cover the cost of anything that goes wrong but in 2 and a half years time I would have paid exactly the same amount of money for the car and be expecting a 10k bill to buy it or the prospect of rolling the finance over. I absolutely appreciate that not everyone can afford to pay up front and finance deals mean they can get something that is reliable, but if you are in the position that you can afford to, you should absolutely be paying cash up front.

Yes and no.

I did it for a wheel arch on my last car, sand more than the rusted bit. An inch or two more was all I did

For the patch, where there is frame try and use a light metal to bridge the gap where the rust was ( advised to do this on arch as the NCT folk in Ireland do not like fibre glass only and would rip it out at test) and make sure you fill round it and hopefully it adheres to car (hard to explain unless you are happy to do some welding or if the MOT place dgaf).
Once patched with filler, sand with rough paper first and smooth off with fine paper so it's all even.
Prime, paint and seal.

Got the car through its test no bother and didn't look too bad either as you repaint the additional either side and you couldn't really tell what was still original frame and what was fibreglass.

I'm sure someone who may have had more experience doing this might have better pointers.

Be wary of the fibreglass mixture, do not get it on fingers and touch anything as it likes to adhere to anything it can.
It'll just be getting a coat of primer just now as I plan on painting the whole car, the rust is a hole about the size of a penny hopefully doesn't get too much worse when I remove the paint.

Anyone got any experience with cazoo, I presume there's no way to haggle? Getting it dropped off with 7 days to return it free sounds good, looks like it comes MOTd too.

I'm going with a 2-3 year old Octavia, ideally 1.5l petrol. Seems best bang for my buck and with trips to the other end of Ireland with partner and a dog I want to maximise space.

It'll just be getting a coat of primer just now as I plan on painting the whole car, the rust is a hole about the size of a penny hopefully doesn't get too much worse when I remove the paint.
That was my issue, had taken a dunt in the car park either a trolley rammed into it or a door. Didn't look at it straight away and realised far too late it had spread.
I always knew where it was as I could see the slight bump as I am shite at doin absolute perfect work but it was fine to casual look.
Hopefully if it is as small as you say then you will be fine.
Other thing I will say is if you have not painted a car before. In a garage of possible, under a gazebo on a still day if not. Remember masking tape and dear god seal as soon as dry.