Car advice

28 minutes ago, marty_j said:

Hope someone can help?
I have had grinding noise in rear brake(s) for a few days
Booked into garage tomorrow
However today when driving brake pedal going to floor (spongy) air noise coming out of pedal. Turned round and went home
Went back out and pool of fluid at rear offside wheel.
Stated car again and brake faulty light on (although I’m shit at cars I kinda worked that out)
It’s going to garage tomorrow
Obviously its fucked but any ideas what it might be (calliper, brake line?)

Do you have any steep hills to go down on your way to the garage?

Its an easy job to fix, if the brake fluid isn't completely emptied.
I think, and I'm just guessing, you have brake drums. So it should be relatively cheap as you should get away with just shoes and a cylinder. Should really just be one hours labour.
It would be more expensive, and a longer job, if you have disks and calipers.

Yeah it was shoes and a cylinder
Front shoes needed done too
250 quid which wasn’t as bad as I thought

I'm approaching middle age but I'm about to buy a car for the first time and would love some advice as I'm unsure what to get.

Budget is £10k max ideally less, half of that is a car loan, it's a car I expect to run into the ground. Looking for a big hatchback that can accommodate a dog and camping gear. Mainly for trips to beach and long drives to the countryside, limited city driving despite loving in a city.

I figure I need to go to a dealer (ideally not Arnold Clark) as I dont know what I'm looking for with a private sale.

I was thinking Focus or Leon (or something of similar size I dont have my heart set on anything), in that price range I'd hope for sub 10k miles and less than 3 years old.

Specifically on the Focus, 1.0 EcoBoost engines seem to be all the rage, anyone got any experience? Instinctively sounds too wee.

EcoBoost 1.0

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002267758238?advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&make=FORD&radius=30&model=FOCUS&price-to=9000&postcode=g611hy&sort=year-desc&year-from=2016&page=1 

Or Diesel 1.5?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003108218216?advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2016&price-to=9000&postcode=G61 1hy&model=FOCUS&sort=year-desc&page=1&radius=30&make=FORD&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New 

19 minutes ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

I'm approaching middle age but I'm about to buy a car for the first time and would love some advice as I'm unsure what to get.

Budget is £10k max ideally less, half of that is a car loan, it's a car I expect to run into the ground. Looking for a big hatchback that can accommodate a dog and camping gear. Mainly for trips to beach and long drives to the countryside, limited city driving despite loving in a city.

I figure I need to go to a dealer (ideally not Arnold Clark) as I dont know what I'm looking for with a private sale.

I was thinking Focus or Leon (or something of similar size I dont have my heart set on anything), in that price range I'd hope for sub 10k miles and less than 3 years old.

Specifically on the Focus, 1.0 EcoBoost engines seem to be all the rage, anyone got any experience? Instinctively sounds too wee.

EcoBoost 1.0

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002267758238?advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&make=FORD&radius=30&model=FOCUS&price-to=9000&postcode=g611hy&sort=year-desc&year-from=2016&page=1 

Or Diesel 1.5?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003108218216?advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2016&price-to=9000&postcode=G61 1hy&model=FOCUS&sort=year-desc&page=1&radius=30&make=FORD&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New 

I've got an Octavia, and the boot is absolutely fucking massive in it, think it's not far off most estate cars in terms of space. So fits the big hatchback part.

I got a 63 with 65k miles for under £10k a couple of years ago, and in 10k miles have only had to fit tyres and brakes.

I've only driven a 2.0 petrol though so cant comment on MPG or how it drives for smaller engines or diesels, but worth mentioning for the space you can get in them.

6 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

My lease is ending on my Mazda 2 and it is time to upgrade to fit the family in it. I'm hopefully going to look at Kia Sportage and a Volvo XC40 in the next couple weeks. Any opinions? My knowledge of cars is basically the colour. 😂

Would they be fairly new?

The ecoboost is decent they have fitted it with different power outputs.

We have a 1.0 fiesta and it flies along.

There are issues with the catalyst on them though. Ours had to have a software update from ford after it kept going into limp mode but it was fine after and didnt cost a penny.

I know someone who just left it on their focus and now the cat is on it's way out. 

2 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

My lease is ending on my Mazda 2 and it is time to upgrade to fit the family in it. I'm hopefully going to look at Kia Sportage and a Volvo XC40 in the next couple weeks. Any opinions? My knowledge of cars is basically the colour. 😂

Leased an XC40 in December and can honestly say it is the best car I have had. Plenty of room for the grandweans, plenty of space in the hatch and a comfy drive.  Had to wait 5 months for delivery but John Clark in Edinburgh were great to deal with.

2 hours ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

EcoBoost 1.0

Or Diesel 1.5?

No special knowledge but I'd be wary of a diesel, it's possible they'll road tax them out of existence because of the emissions, especially if you want something that'll last you a good few years.

Warning light will be because your fluid level is low.
What kind of car do you have and is disks or drums on the back?
Sounds like you've worn the pads/shoes down so far that you've popped a piston out the caliper/cylinder, and the fluid is now just pouring out.
At a minimum it sounds like you'll need disks, pads and a caliper, or shoes and a cylinder.
Does the brake fluid not stink? Ferodo fluid?
Got a car back from the garage once and the brakes failed and it was reeking.

3 hours ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

EcoBoost 1.0

Or Diesel 1.5?

I've always paid cash for cars, or on the 2 occasions in 40 years that I've borrowed money
to buy a car, I've taken out a personal loan from a bank.  That way, I can see exactly how much
I'm really paying for the car, and I actually own the thing from word go. No HP, no PCP, No balloon
payments, or residual trade in values. In short, no smoke and mirrors.

At root, I just think that borrowing money, incurring debt, to buy something that depreciates in value
is stupid money management.

However, that isn't what you asked.

So....

1. I'd stay away from diesels.  They're values are going nowhere, they're just viewed now as dirty, toxic vehicles.
    In addition, the price range/ age of car you'd be considering means that it will have a diesel particulate filter (DPF).
   They're just trouble.

2. Previous poster mentioned an Octavia.  I'd agree. They're nice cars, quality built, and well fitted out. Underneath, they're
    basically a Golf, except you're not paying Golf prices.

3. Have you thought about a Toyota Prius. ( Hybrid/Electric ) ?  All those taxi drivers who run them up to 200, 300, 400,000
    miles with hardly a problem, can they be wrong.... ?  Nowadays, I generally buy cheap, old cars.., so your budget is many
   times what mine typically is. Also, I don't know what the prices of s/h Priuses are. Presumably you might not want
  an ex - taxi that has been sh*t on, puked over etc in the back seat. But, anyway.

Good luck, hope this helps.

PS   Fords are not good cars for long term ownership.  At root, as an overall package, they are not quality built cars. 
Edited by beefybake

21 minutes ago, beefybake said:

I've always paid cash for cars, or on the 2 occasions in 40 years that I've borrowed money
to buy a car, I've taken out a personal loan from a bank.  That way, I can see exactly how much
I'm really paying for the car, and I actually own the thing from word go. No HP, no PCP, No balloon
payments, or residual trade in values. In short, no smoke and mirrors.

At root, I just think that borrowing money, incurring debt, to buy something that depreciates in value
is stupid money management.

However, that isn't what you asked.

So....

1. I'd stay away from diesels.  They're values are going nowhere, they're just viewed now as dirty, toxic vehicles.
    In addition, the price range/ age of car you'd be considering means that it will have a diesel particulate filter (DPF).
   They're just trouble.

2. Previous poster mentioned an Octavia.  I'd agree. They're nice cars, quality built, and well fitted out. Underneath, they're
    basically a Golf, except you're not paying Golf prices.

3. Have you thought about a Toyota Prius. ( Hybrid/Electric ) ?  All those taxi drivers who run them up to 200, 300, 400,000
    miles with hardly a problem, can they be wrong.... ?  Nowadays, I generally buy cheap, old cars.., so your budget is many
   times what mine typically is. Also, I don't know what the prices of s/h Priuses are. Presumably you might not want
  an ex - taxi that has been sh*t on, puked over etc in the back seat. But, anyway.

Good luck, hope this helps.

PS   Fords are not good cars for long term ownership.  At root, as an overall package, they are not quality built cars. 

Surely when buying a car on PCP or leasing is the best way to go? I've never seen the point in buying a car outright given it'll constantly be losing value. PCP or leasing means you only pay off a portion of the car's value for a few years with the dealership/finance company taking the hit in terms of depreciation. 

3 hours ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

EcoBoost 1.0

Or Diesel 1.5?

Remember the general market place is going to be flooded with cars as things get tight financially. It's a buyers market.

5 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Surely when buying a car on PCP or leasing is the best way to go? I've never seen the point in buying a car outright given it'll constantly be losing value. PCP or leasing means you only pay off a portion of the car's value for a few years with the dealership/finance company taking the hit in terms of depreciation. 

If he's intending to run the car into the ground the depreciation doesn't matter, especially if it's 3 years old with low mileage.

Edited by welshbairn