Car advice

10 minutes ago, RH33 said:

One smack in face with one my tits and you’d have two black eyes!

(they’ve not actually seen me btw!)

I thought they’d examined your rack thoroughly?

My diesel Skoda Octavia is playing up. 10 years old, 100k miles. I may need to shell out for a new motor.

I'd love to get an electric car. It looks like affordable options are starting to come onto the market (Volkswagen ID3 will supposedly be under 30k euros). 

Do you think now's the time to take the electric plunge, or wait another year until better/cheaper models appear?

Are most people using the 6 month gratis period on their MOT or just getting it done? Unsure as to what the best option is - car is operating fine just now. There's a garage less than a mile away still operating and my car is due the middle of next month.

12 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Are most people using the 6 month gratis period on their MOT or just getting it done? Unsure as to what the best option is - car is operating fine just now. There's a garage less than a mile away still operating and my car is due the middle of next month.

Mrs needs her car to get to work so we just got the service and MOT as per normal when it was due last week. We also use a local garage rather than a big network so wanted to give him some business at this time. 

3 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

The very dab for the seaside leagues the second one...

Or the championship.  Dismantle it,  then let Ann budge try and rebuild it... 

16 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Think I'd get it done for peace of mind, just in case they spot something dangerous or that will cost a lot more if left unfixed.

17 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

17 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Getting roadworthy repairs done but not MOTing just now. Insurance and MOT are a month apart so it's a good opportunity to stagger them a bit more.

Mine is due in June too. I don't really want to be having to cover an MOT*  and any other repair costs needed in November/December with Christmas to sort out so that might be something to consider, think the most I might leave it for would be a couple of months as I'm hoping to get a full valet done on it before I take it in to the garage. It's not quite a Futurama style owl-trapped-in-a-giant-spider-web level of messiness but it's not great either.

*this is a bit supplementary so feel free to disregard this, but I usually get a full service and MOT for about £180 once a year from the same local garage my mum and dad have used for about 20 years, dunno how fair that price compares to an average but tbf I don't think they've ever booted the arse out of it and tried making advisories out to be essential work or any of the shadier stuff I've heard certain bigger names sometimes chance...

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

19 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

On 25/04/2020 at 09:38, alta-pete said:

Just a wee word of caution on the automatic 6 month extension on your MOT due to Coronavirus. 

A-P Jnr’s car was due up now but got an extension to October. A variety of reasons - one being philanthropy to the local garage who had just seen their next 6 months work evaporate in front of them - I went ahead and got it MOT’d anyway. 

A missing droplink in the front suspension and a near cut through brake hose were two standout comments on the fail sheet. 

If the MOT is due on your car and your  garage is open, I’d suggest the annual check is still very much worthwhile getting done. 

2 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Would guess A-P Jnr has a fairly old motor? You could well be Sir Loadsamoney and he's cutting about in a nice new Golf or something of course!

Should add I'm not trying to argue with that post as it's eminently sensible, but I wouldn't personally feel too concerned about driving mine (15 plate, <42000 miles on it) for a few weeks past the normal MOT date without getting it checked.

Taken to an extreme though if I was still cutting about in my first car (Ye Olde Ford Fiesta) and it had >100,000 miles on it or something then it'd be a different story and I'd be very uncomfortable driving it past its usual MOT date.

Could maybe stretch it a bit if you have an indestructible shitbox like certain older Volkswagen Jetta's or something like that, too.

edit: and of course now I think I've jinxed it so I'll probably get it done as normal, ha

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

6 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Would guess A-P Jnr has a fairly old motor? You could well be Sir Loadsamoney and he's cutting about in a nice new Golf or something of course!

Should add I'm not trying to argue with that post as it's eminently sensible, but I wouldn't personally feel too concerned about driving mine (15 plate, <42000 miles on it) for a few weeks past the normal MOT date without getting it checked.

Taken to an extreme though if I was still cutting about in my first car (Ye Olde Ford Fiesta) and it had >100,000 miles on it or something then it'd be a different story and I'd be very uncomfortable driving it past its usual MOT date.

Could maybe stretch it a bit if you have an indestructible shitbox like certain older Volkswagen Jetta's or something like that, too.

edit: and of course now I think I've jinxed it so I'll probably get it done as normal, ha

Perfectly fair. A 58-plate Mini with 60k  miles.

But it seems these things start to unravel disproportionately  when the kids are in charge. 

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If you were a good driver you wouldn’t need a horn.  :rolleyes:

Not true. A horn is needed to warn other users that you are there, for example on a blind, narrow corner where you might have to use the whole road.