Car advice

9 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Can a slow puncture in a run flat tyre be repaired?

NAP that as soon as I ask a tyre retailer it’ll be a naw and need to buy a new tyre sir. 

Depends how flat the tyre has been driven on.

Easy to see on standard tyres if theyve fucked themselves when driven flat, you cant really tell on a run flat, so theres always a risk the sidewall is fucked but you just cant tell. Guess that's the reason a lot of places you'll phone will probably recommend changing it.

23 hours ago, Empty It said:

KwikFit told me I'd die from emissions because my car had a slight hole in the flexi once

I’ve mentioned this bit of Kwik Fit brilliance on here ages ago, but about 11, 12 years ago I had an Astra GSI on which the exhaust partially fell off and was dragging under the car. No problem, will nip in to Kwik Fit cos it was nearby. Got all this pisschat from the boy about how it was a common problem as the GSI was too fast and powerful for the ‘standard fittings’ Vauxhall were using. Told me to go sit in the waiting area and he’d have it sorted in 20 minutes. 

Get in car and half way down the road a loud rattling starts, so took the car to the garage nearest my house. The mechanic there puts it up on ramp then gives me a shout to ‘Come and see this!’ Walk over and lo and behold, Kwik Fit had attempted to secure the exhaust by using a cable tie which had partially melted from the heat off the exhaust!

He also said the likely cause of the exhaust falling off in the first place was a bolt corroding, (which they’d replaced with the cable tie) and advised me to get back up to Kwik Fit and get them telt before it got worse and completely fell off again. Manager chap at Kwik Fit looked like he wanted the ground to swallow him up on the spot when I told him about his colleagues cable tie effort! 😄

Edited by 8MileBU

1 hour ago, philpy said:

Picking this up tommorow. Got it for just over 3k, only 2 owners since new and only just over 48k on the clock. Immaculate and not one bit of rust. 

FB_IMG_1589394556558.jpg

Going by its MOT history it appears to have been well looked after. Good buy.

15 hours ago, philpy said:

Picking this up tommorow. Got it for just over 3k, only 2 owners since new and only just over 48k on the clock. Immaculate and not one bit of rust. 

FB_IMG_1589394556558.jpg

Decent cars, we used to have an Altea XL (until the wife spun it and wrote it off). One of the best cars I've had, would probably still have it tbh.

15 hours ago, supermik said:

Going by its MOT history it appears to have been well looked after. Good buy.

Aye. The boot is like the bloody tardis!! It was easy enough going to view it - the garage is a 2 minute walk from my house 😁

Not familiar with the Altea I hit google for a quick search.
According to Wikki this car is equipped with an internal combustion engine, so that's good to know.
More importantly, does it come with those orange flashing lights on the side? Many a modern car appear to not have selected this apparently optional extra

4 hours ago, weirdcal said:
On 14/05/2020 at 13:34, ICTJohnboy said:
According to Wikki this car is equipped with an internal combustion engine, so that's good to know.

More importantly, does it come with those orange flashing lights on the side? Many a modern car appear to not have selected this apparently optional extra

Not sure but think they might have those orange lights that you speak of. Think I saw them but then they were gone then I saw them again but once again they were gone..

4 hours ago, weirdcal said:
On 14/05/2020 at 13:34, ICTJohnboy said:

Some of the new ones have little light bulbs I think, but not proper ones. I hope Philpy's choice is the exception.

1024px-Austin_A30_22_February_2014.jpg

Edited by welshbairn

Not sure but think they might have those orange lights that you speak of. Think I saw them but then they were gone then I saw them again but once again they were gone..
It's a b*****d, you have no idea what side they are going to go on. And sometimes it's on both but that tends to stop the car.
Some of the new ones have little light bulbs I think, but not proper ones. I hope Philpy's choice is the exception.

1024px-Austin_A30_22_February_2014.jpg&key=b35e06b6ae5502880a7811169882f09578c284e8c8e549438d0ede5cc6bbae1a
Philpy is learning to dab as we speak just incase

Bringing back memories of some years ago, I was working in the Hamilton area, driving an elderly Astra which was playing up. The engine kept cutting out and eventually it ground to a halt altogether. I put the hazard lights on, pulled on the bonnet release and got out to investigate. A car pulled up behind me, and as I was about to lift the bonnet, the female driver got out and started shouting at me.

"Have you just stopped here, or are you going to turn left" she said.  "I've broken down", I explained. "But your left hand flasher is flashing" says she. I tried to point out the right hand one was on as well, but she must have have been suffering from some kind of tunnel vision.. She very angrily got back into her car, pulled out and passed me, giving me such a filthy look, then turned left.