Car advice

Just a heads up for any expensive but common repairs like this, and obviously at the moment garage choice may be limited, but we've used Whocanfixmycar.com a few times and saved a lot of money. You have local garages bidding for the work so it keeps the price down.
Renault wanted over £1200 for a timing chain kit on one of our vans but using this service we got it done for £800. Also on a Corsa, a workmate was quoted £7-800 from Vauxhall for a timing kit but ended up paying £400-odd locally.
In short...avoid dealers.

On 29/04/2020 at 23:44, tree house tam said:

From this

To this in a month.

You're almost as bad as most wee fanny apprentices nowadays, think they know it all after 2 minutes at college :lol:

Know any good mechanics in Perth tam?

My remapped Skoda has just burnt a hole through a piston...

On a sidenote, anyone know any reputable garages that rebuild engines, and how much they cost to do so?

New engine apparently around £5k, and second hand ones around half that. Ideally I'd find a way to refurb this one for cheaper than either of those options.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

On a sidenote, anyone know any reputable garages that rebuild engines, and how much they cost to do so?

New engine apparently around £5k, and second hand ones around half that. Ideally I'd find a way to refurb this one for cheaper than either of those options.

Can you not do it yourself?

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Can you not do it yourself?

Aye I will do, was just needing to moan about it somewhere tbh.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

What kind of engine?

3 minutes ago, keithgy said:

5k seems very steep for a recon.

That's what my boss reckons it would be for a brand new one from Skoda/VW, reckons about half that for a second hand one.

Going to try and get a price for recon tomorrow but depends on how bad the damage is.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

That's what my boss reckons it would be for a brand new one from Skoda/VW, reckons about half that for a second hand one.

Going to try and get a price for recon tomorrow but depends on how bad the damage is.

What has happened to it?

10 minutes ago, keithgy said:

What has happened to it?

Every 4k miles or so my cylinder 1 spark plug is burning its tip off.

Swapping coil packs, and injectors, doesnt move the fault.

No fault code in the car until the tip has burnt off and caused a misfire.

Oil gathering around the spark plug, and the top of piston 1 is now coated in oil and is starting to get a hole burnt into it, presumably because of the burnt out plug.

Doing a compression test tomorrow, but all that combined with higher than usual oil consumption has me wondering if the piston ring is knackered, allowing oil to cover the spark plug, which is then causing misfires and the plug to start burning out. That's maybe the worst case scenario. 

Got it remapped to run higher power two years ago, but to my mind it wouldve shown earlier/in all cylinders, if it was an issue with that.

2 minutes ago, philpy said:

Bollocks to ford. Hopefully going to look at a 57 plate suzuki swift. Only 42k on the clock. 

A Suzuki Swift?  You’ll be hoping that wearing a mask becomes compulsory then so no-one recognises you driving it.