Car advice

Similar thing happened to my car just before Christmas, cost 210quid at a place in East Kilbride that was the door removed, dent sorted and the paint stripped and redone. A grand is a piss take.

5 hours ago, Mr Hahn said:

Apologies if this has been discussed before on the thread.

A neighbour recently dinged my car (we're 99% sure who it is but no way to prove it) leaving a small dent in the rear driver side door, close to where it meets the driver door with a small accompanying scratch.

It's a Volvo V40 and, having taken it to the local Volvo approved bodyshop to get a quote, they've come back with over £1000. This includes removal of both doors, paint etc.

Now, I'm really not a car guy but there's no sign to me that it needs paint and removing both doors seems excessive.

Can anyone confirm or deny that this is as ludicrous as it first read to me?

Surely their car will have a mark where they hit yours????

Test drove a Tucson today, cracking car, very nice ride. Was all set for it but decided to test drive a Sportage to be sure and it blew me away, just as nice a car and a bit nicer inside. Think that's the one. Was surprised as I really thought the Tucson would be it.

Bought a Sportage in September
Had 4 CMax’s over the last few years and fancied a change, really happy with the Sportage

1 hour ago, Gaz FFC said:

Surely their car will have a mark where they hit yours????

This car is so covered in marks and scratches that it's impossible to tell what could be mine. I was away for work at the time but my girlfriend thinks she walked out the front door around the time it happened. Apparently the woman's kids were running riot, opening and slamming doors. She didn't think anything of it until she got back and saw there was this dent in my car.

Thanks for the input @MP_MFC, @killiepiemuncher and @Empty It.

Would appear my suspicions that it was ridiculous are indeed true and I'll get a quote from somewhere else.

7 hours ago, Mr Hahn said:

Apologies if this has been discussed before on the thread.

A neighbour recently dinged my car (we're 99% sure who it is but no way to prove it) leaving a small dent in the rear driver side door, close to where it meets the driver door with a small accompanying scratch.

It's a Volvo V40 and, having taken it to the local Volvo approved bodyshop to get a quote, they've come back with over £1000. This includes removal of both doors, paint etc.

Now, I'm really not a car guy but there's no sign to me that it needs paint and removing both doors seems excessive.

Can anyone confirm or deny that this is as ludicrous as it first read to me?

As it first read to me it is ludicrous to pay £1,000 but I have no idea how bad the 'ding' is.  The general view is that if it's a crease and showing the undercoat then it may require a respray on that panel.  Otherwise, there are various 'come to your house' panel beaters who may not do a 100% job but it would be decent enough for most folk.

I had some wean hit the offside front door of my Golf on his bike  last year and got it sorted for £170..  Always a good idea to look at different options.

This car is so covered in marks and scratches that it's impossible to tell what could be mine. I was away for work at the time but my girlfriend thinks she walked out the front door around the time it happened. Apparently the woman's kids were running riot, opening and slamming doors. She didn't think anything of it until she got back and saw there was this dent in my car.
Thanks for the input [mention=13514]MP_MFC[/mention], [mention=10635]killiepiemuncher[/mention] and [mention=76539]Empty It[/mention].
Would appear my suspicions that it was ridiculous are indeed true and I'll get a quote from somewhere else.

No idea if this is helpful but I had a van come into the side of my car going round a roundabout a few years ago (one by the Kessock bridge for the highlanders) and it was £350 to get it repaired. I went through insurance but still had to pay for it as the boy driving decided to contest it and they couldn’t prove he was in the wrong. Anyway picture is below to show the majority of the damage.

IMG_5898.jpg

22 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

As it first read to me it is ludicrous to pay £1,000 but I have no idea how bad the 'ding' is.  The general view is that if it's a crease and showing the undercoat then it may require a respray on that panel.  Otherwise, there are various 'come to your house' panel beaters who may not do a 100% job but it would be decent enough for most folk.

I had some wean hit the offside front door of my Golf on his bike  last year and got it sorted for £170..  Always a good idea to look at different options.

Hmmm I'll take a photo and stick it up. It's no bigger than a golf ball it it's entirety but there is potentially a spot at the deepest part of the dent where the paint has come off (talking a couple of millimetres diameter). I suppose the scratches may also need paint but from my experience they can usually buff them out quite effectively.

22 hours ago, PB1994 said:

No idea if this is helpful but I had a van come into the side of my car going round a roundabout a few years ago (one by the Kessock bridge for the highlanders) and it was £350 to get it repaired. I went through insurance but still had to pay for it as the boy driving decided to contest it and they couldn’t prove he was in the wrong. Anyway picture is below to show the majority of the damage.

IMG_5898.jpg

That looks considerably worse than mine, did that need paint? I know the roundabout you mean, doesn't it have lights on it? Would hope that would usually reduce accidents. It was Inverness I was in for work the week my car got the ding in question and found the Raigmore roundabout to feel far more dangerous.

Edited by Mr Hahn

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I was in a car accident during the bad weather a few weeks back and wrote my old car off. No other vehicles were involved and I wasn't injured or anything, but it was a scary experience and I was very lucky to avoid injury.

I got a new car on Saturday but I just cannot find any confidence in my own driving.

I have always been a safe and considerate driver and managed to drive for 18 months before the accident without any negative incidents occurring. 

I don't know if it's just that I've had a few weeks without driving and need to get back into the groove or that I've got a new car to get used to, but I kind of feel like a learner again.

37 minutes ago, The Gypsy King said:

Hi all,

I was in a car accident during the bad weather a few weeks back and wrote my old car off. No other vehicles were involved and I wasn't injured or anything, but it was a scary experience and I was very lucky to avoid injury.

I got a new car on Saturday but I just cannot find any confidence in my own driving.

I have always been a safe and considerate driver and managed to drive for 18 months before the accident without any negative incidents occurring. 

I don't know if it's just that I've had a few weeks without driving and need to get back into the groove or that I've got a new car to get used to, but I kind of feel like a learner again.

Book a couple of lessons with an independent driving instructor and ask him to take you out in your own car.

35 minutes ago, The Gypsy King said:

Hi all,

Sounds perfectly understandable and you will no doubt quickly regain your confidence and driving skills in no time. In the meantime, if you live near Ayr, make model colour and reg number please👍

2 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

Sounds perfectly understandable and you will no doubt quickly regain your confidence and driving skills in no time. In the meantime, if you live near Ayr, make model colour and reg number please👍

The one with the bumper hanging off.

In all seriousness I think it's just a combination of driving a car that I'm not used to and having not drove for a little while. 

It'll hopefully pass after I've drove to and from work a couple of times.

In the meantime I'll keep being cautious and drive like I was taught to drive.

I am still in contact with my instructor (he's a Killie fan so always rips me when Ayr lose!) and he suggested that it was probably these factors.

I might pop out a drive shortly. I can't exactly avoid driving as it's required for work, so I might as well try to adapt.

In all seriousness I think it's just a combination of driving a car that I'm not used to and having not drove for a little while. 
It'll hopefully pass after I've drove to and from work a couple of times.
In the meantime I'll keep being cautious and drive like I was taught to drive.
I am still in contact with my instructor (he's a Killie fan so always rips me when Ayr lose!) and he suggested that it was probably these factors.
I might pop out a drive shortly. I can't exactly avoid driving as it's required for work, so I might as well try to adapt.

A couple of large voddies will calm your nerves.

Hi all,

Good luck with this. As others have said it’s quite understandable. Your confidence will improve. Good luck with it and take care.

39 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Good luck with this. As others have said it’s quite understandable. Your confidence will improve. Good luck with it and take care.

I had a good drive tonight. Starting to get to grips with the new car.

It's a Mitsubishi Colt. It's quite a smooth drive. My experience of driving different cars is limited because this is only my second car, but it's quite a nice car to drive. 

Annoyingly the indicators and wipers are on the opposite sides to what I'm used so I've accidentally cleaned my windscreen while coming up to roundabouts a few times . 🤣

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

@RandomGuy. 

Can you recommend anywhere in Perth to get a scrape fixed post-corona? Some arsehole scraped my car when I was parked the order day and they drove off.

Think it will need painted or just polished out?