Car advice

4 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

I have 7 seater grand scenic and managed it.
Also the seats in the back, are yours individual or both have to go up?
Loads of space left if using only one.
Oh and they are fitted like a smugglers car, compartments everywhere

The back seats come up individually, but by the time you get the wee ones pram in it doesn't leave much room for anything else. 

Recommendations on a cheap run about wanted. Never had a car before but with a wee one on the way soon it will be necessary in a few months.
Initial thoughts were a Suzuki Swift, only worry with that is whether or not there will be enough space with a baby seat in the back. Alternative thoughts were a Corsa or an Ibiza.
Anyone care to weigh in with an opinion/abuse?

My car economy senses finally switched on a little more than a year ago, (long after it should have) and changed both cars.

For the wee runaround car we replaced the old Focus 1.8l with a Citroen C3 - 1.2l of no frills, but enough gadgets and a lot of savings to be more than happy with it.

For the ‘big’ car, tears were almost shed as I said goodbye to my inner boy racer and to my Vee Dubya, and now...[emoji116]

We have the Hyundai Tucson and it is an excellent car.

Wholeheartedly agree with this Keith. The Tucson is a great motor and despite my historic love of hot-hatches, I’d go as far as to say it’s perhaps one of the best motors I’ve owned. We got the Ltd Edition GO SE Tucson with all the gadgets, nice big alloys and what was a limited edition colour, but I read that due that to the popularity of the colour Hyundai have put the colour into everyday production.

We're looking at buying a new car in August. Mazda CX5 looks to be the favourite Japanese SUV at the moment. 
Any others worth a look?

We looked at several SUVs before opting for the Tucson. The CX5 was one of them. Cracking looking motors but being petrol, they’re gutsy b*****ds. I believe they were due to bring out a new diesel engined CX5 last year though.

4 hours ago, sjc said:

We're looking at buying a new car in August. Mazda CX5 looks to be the favourite Japanese SUV at the moment. 

Any others worth a look?

@Rugster has the CX5. He won't let me drive it 😔 it's a very nice car though.

@Ross. I have a Mazda 2 that fits 2 car seats and a decent sized pram in it.

4 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

The back seats come up individually, but by the time you get the wee ones pram in it doesn't leave much room for anything else. 

Look you. Stop fucking about and just get the fucking Range Rover that you know you really want but are looking for some perverse fucking validation  from the PnB massive before you commit. 

(And, yes, you can get 3 kids’ seats across the back and still leave a boot to be filled). 😉

Edited by alta-pete

16 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Look you. Stop fucking about and just get the fucking Range Rover that you know you really want but are looking for some perverse fucking validation  from the PnB massive before you commit. 

(And, yes, you can get 3 kids’ seats across the back and still leave a boot to be filled). 😉

I draw the line at paying £90k for a glorified Land Rover. 

5 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

We looked at several SUVs before opting for the Tucson. The CX5 was one of them. Cracking looking motors but being petrol, they’re gutsy b*****ds. I believe they were due to bring out a new diesel engined CX5 last year though.

Yeh, I was looking into the fuel economy. TBH we rarely drive on the motorway here and other than visiting my in-laws up in the mountains it'll be used mainly for commuting in the city.

5 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

@Rugster has the CX5. He won't let me drive it 😔 it's a very nice car though.

@Ross. <<<Can't delete!

They do look great. Spacious too!

6 hours ago, sjc said:

Yeh, I was looking into the fuel economy. TBH we rarely drive on the motorway here and other than visiting my in-laws up in the mountains it'll be used mainly for commuting in the city.

They do look great. Spacious too!

The Cx5 is a superb car. Chock full of gadgets great to drive, comfy and spacious. I’d definitely recommend it. 

3 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Can you fit 3 cars seats across the back?

You could using the seatbelt for the middle one I think. No isofix in the middle. Thankfully I’ll never have to do that. Don’t take my word for it though just incase. 

3 minutes ago, Rugster said:

You could using the seatbelt for the middle one I think. No isofix in the middle. Thankfully I’ll never have to do that. Don’t take my word for it though just incase. 

They do a Cx9 which looks amazing.  But they don't sell it in the UK.  The p***ks.

Help! My daughter's 2013 Yaris apparently needs a new accelerator throttle body at a cost of 900 plus VAT for the part so about 1400 to get fitted. The accelerator packed in earlier in the week but worked again when I went to tow it home. 

Should I keep the car and pay the price, try and source a part on Ebay, get rid of the car if I can keep the engine warning light off long enough (was on, now not on). 

Horns of a dilemma for someone as tight as me. 

3 minutes ago, HTG said:

Help! My daughter's 2013 Yaris apparently needs a new accelerator throttle body at a cost of 900 plus VAT for the part so about 1400 to get fitted. The accelerator packed in earlier in the week but worked again when I went to tow it home. 

Should I keep the car and pay the price, try and source a part on Ebay, get rid of the car if I can keep the engine warning light off long enough (was on, now not on). 

Start with sourcing a 2nd hand part.

Edited by The_Kincardine

4 minutes ago, HTG said:

Buy her a bus pass.

17 minutes ago, HTG said:

Your daughter's car, you say? I struggle to see why it is your dilemma tbh.