Car advice

2 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:
Just had pads and discs on the rear wheels replaced and braking is awfy spongey. Can I get away with bleeding them only or will I need to do all 4?

It should sort itself out in a few days, just drive carefully would be my advice.

This was my experience.

6 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

ETA: went out and pumped brakes - it got a bit firmer after 7 or 8 pumps but if I took my foot off the pedal then did it again it's back to being very spongey and going almost to the floor.

That might be the “Root” of the problem , adding lubricant to the system ....

Is anyone aware of car models that you are able to fit 3 kids seats across the second row?

I can *just* do it in my Lexus but the buckle release for the middle seat is almost impossible to get to when you want to get them out.  There are a few cars that claim to be able to do it, but in practice it appears that you either can't, or you have a scenario like the one I currently have.

The Lexus is a 7 seater, which is great as my eldest usually just sits in the back, but this takes up almost half the boot space when one of the back seats is up, which is a pain in the hole when you are going away somewhere and need as much luggage space as possible.

eta: Yes, it's the Japanese Mercedes, ah-ha! etc.

Edited by KnightswoodBear

Recommendations on a cheap run about wanted. Never had a car before but with a wee one on the way soon it will be necessary in a few months.

Initial thoughts were a Suzuki Swift, only worry with that is whether or not there will be enough space with a baby seat in the back. Alternative thoughts were a Corsa or an Ibiza.

Anyone care to weigh in with an opinion/abuse?

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Recommendations on a cheap run about wanted. Never had a car before but with a wee one on the way soon it will be necessary in a few months.

Initial thoughts were a Suzuki Swift, only worry with that is whether or not there will be enough space with a baby seat in the back. Alternative thoughts were a Corsa or an Ibiza.

f**k off, use your hidden nazi gold to buy something.  Some of us have asked our own, sprog based question.

1 minute ago, KnightswoodBear said:

f**k off, use your hidden nazi gold to buy something.  Some of us have asked our own, sprog based question.

It's hidden for a reason. I'm not going to publicise it. That would defeat the fucking purpose, wouldn't it?

5 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Nissan Note is slightly bigger but very versatile with the back seat on a rail which makes it ultra simple to adjust for pram, shopping in the boot or grown ups in the back. They've stopped making them so it would need to be second hand.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Nissan Note is slightly bigger but very versatile with the back seat on a rail which makes it ultra simple to adjust for pram, shopping in the boot or grown ups in the back. They've stopped making them so it would need to be second hand.

Will be going second hand anyway. The cost of buying new here is fucking eye watering. They don't do cheap credit.

ETA: With that being out of production, won't it make it a c**t for repairs when I inevitably break it?

Edited by Ross.

49 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Any good?

I liked it. It’s had a redesign since I had it. But it had three full seats on second row.

45 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Buy your pram first and take it with you when you look at cars. I just traded in a corsa after three months, utter shite. 

Just now, RH33 said:

Buy your pram first and take it with you when you look at cars.

Good suggestion. I will now pretend I thought of it myself, what with it seeming so glaringly obvious.

51 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I took my golf clubs with me when I was buying a car once.

Never been much of a golfer but there are a couple of driving ranges within a half hour drive and a few courses not much further afield. Considering taking it up for when I need a break from the wife and kid.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Will be going second hand anyway. The cost of buying new here is fucking eye watering. They don't do cheap credit.

ETA: With that being out of production, won't it make it a c**t for repairs when I inevitably break it?

I've had no trouble and it's  a 2012 plate. Only stopped making them very recently.

Just now, welshbairn said:

I've had no trouble and it's  a 2012 plate. Only stopped making them very recently.

Had a quick look and they are reasonably enough priced here, second hand. Emissions rating isn't too bad either, which should save a few quid in tax.

I've had both a swift (3 door) and an ibiza (5door) with 2 car seats in the back, had both of them at the same time for a while before replacing the ibiza with something bigger. Swift was a great wee car, lacking in boot space tho however with the ibiza we managed fine with weekends away and actually managed a week's camping with all the gear and 1 kids stuff in it. On the subject of doors I automatically went for the 5 door ibiza (the swift was a relic from the happy pre kids days) assuming doors in the back equals easy access, but I always actually found it less hassle getting the kids in/out of the 3 door swift.

Is anyone aware of car models that you are able to fit 3 kids seats across the second row?
I can *just* do it in my Lexus but the buckle release for the middle seat is almost impossible to get to when you want to get them out.  There are a few cars that claim to be able to do it, but in practice it appears that you either can't, or you have a scenario like the one I currently have.
The Lexus is a 7 seater, which is great as my eldest usually just sits in the back, but this takes up almost half the boot space when one of the back seats is up, which is a pain in the hole when you are going away somewhere and need as much luggage space as possible.
eta: Yes, it's the Japanese Mercedes, ah-ha! etc.
I have 7 seater grand scenic and managed it.
Also the seats in the back, are yours individual or both have to go up?
Loads of space left if using only one.
Oh and they are fitted like a smugglers car, compartments everywhere